follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIA Australia and New Zealand

User Tag List

Old 07-06-2012, 04:12 AM   #1
Suffa

Drives: Black GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Advice on trade in towards an 86

Heya aussies. Not sure where else i can ask for some local advice so i came here. Im planning to get an 86 towards the end of the year and im wondering what to do with my 2000 manual celica, either trade in or sell privately.

Celica has almost hit 190k on the odo, runs well, has a set of gmax 17" wheels, southbend clutch, fidanza lightweight flywheel, HID. Sound includes alpine 9887, eclipse splits, DD c4a amp, DD sub.

Cons: paint getting spotty in some areas looks like sun fade. Rear hatch struts are blown so doesnt hold itself open (easy fix). Steering pulls alot (needs an alignment). Boot has been gutted for sub (easy fix but time consuming pulling cables and getting back to near stock.)

If anyone has some suggestions im wondering which would be the way to go for the best value for me cause the way i see it is like this.

If i sell private id need to put some money in for a final service, replace the hatch struts, detailing. If the buyer really wants i could leave the amp and sub in but i wouldnt mind taking the amp. So maybe $1000 and maybe sell for 10-11k?

Trade in im not sure, i would still need to replace hatch struts ($150?), a good clean and most likely take the amp and sub out, rewire the splits to HU and tidy up the boot as best i can. Value maybe 8-9k? Best i always get the impression trade ins get value cut really hard.

So anyone have some advice as this would be my first trade in/private sale.

Edit: added photo

Last edited by Suffa; 07-06-2012 at 04:24 AM.
Suffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:20 AM   #2
JP
Backyard Fabricator

Drives: JZX83, SF5 GT, ZZE82 turbo
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
if you can return it to stock you will get a higher trade value. Expect somwhere between $4-6K for the trade value.
JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:26 AM   #3
Sambalam

Drives: EVO VII
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hey mate,

all that stuff you've done to it will mean just about nothing in the world of trade in and everytime I've had a quote done for a trade in i've had a figure in my head that is significantly below what i think the cars worth and every time it's come back lower,

e.g. If i have a car worth 20k Id think maybe get a trade in of around 18, but get a quote of 15/16 (but obviously the dealer needs to make money so it's to be expected)

you will 999 times out of 1000 get much more from a private sale BUT selling a car sucks, I just sold my car privately and it's a total pain in the ass, you get tons of enquires and tons of offers that are just ridiculous, end up spending your weekends with strangers driving your car around and then not buy, so it may appeal to you just take the hit of a few grand and trade it in and be done with it
Sambalam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:28 AM   #4
Suffa

Damn that low huh. Sounds like im better off doing the waiting game. Putting it up for sale and seeing if theres any takers. Downside to that is the current wait list for the 86 and being out of a car if it sells. Im sure i can work something out. See my dilemma :P
Old 07-06-2012, 04:31 AM   #5
Suffa

Yeah thats how i been looking at it all day. Could take the fast easy trade in deal but get alot lower and need to save alot more for deposit which is going to mean more waiting. Or put it out there for sale, dealing with the hassel and make get a bigger return which means larger deposit and less finance for the 86. Either way its a waiting game and im just going to have to play it.

My main private sale concern is, is a 2000 190km celica desirable these days at 10-11k?

My main trade in concern is, is it even worth putting the money down for realignment, service or the dealer would just do it. Dont want to put the money down and get 6k when the dealer probably would have just offered the same amount if i didnt put money into it first.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:33 AM   #6
Sambalam

Drives: EVO VII
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffa View Post
Damn that low huh. Sounds like im better off doing the waiting game. Putting it up for sale and seeing if theres any takers. Downside to that is the current wait list for the 86 and being out of a car if it sells. Im sure i can work something out. See my dilemma :P
yeah just advertise where you can, chuck some details on the car and see how you go, But it can't hurt to take it down to your local dealer and see what they think it's worth,

I was in the same Dilemma, but I got lucky and was able to borrow a friend of mines car but when he takes that back out comes the Mountain Bike
Sambalam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:54 AM   #7
Suffa

Just checked and the 86 has same wheel bolt pattern as the celica. Wodder if i did the trade in if they would let me swap the wheels. Would be a nice memento to keep the celica alive in spirit :P

Thanks all the help so far too.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:57 AM   #8
Z86

Drives: 86 GTS Auto in Pegasus White
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
First up, check redbook.com.au for a rough guide as to its value for a trade-in and private sale...
Redbook is showing between 8.5 and 10.5 for a private sale
5.5 and 7.5 for a trade.
This is for a car between 120-220K kms - so you are at the high end of that range.

Your extras aren't really going to be worth much extra.

If you are signing up for a deal now (which you might have to to get a car by the end of the year), get the dealer to offer you a trade-in value... but put in the contract that you have the option to try and sell the trade-in privately and remove its value from the deal.

Get the car in ok condition - don't spend too much.
List it on carsales.com.au - its only $60 for as long as you want - so long as you "click to extend the ad" every 28 days.

Basically if the dealer only offers you 6K for the car, any more than that you win. So list on car sales for 11K... If someone offers you 10K you are miles in front. If someone offers you 7K you are still in front.

And remember... your car is worth what someone is willing to pay.
Z86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:02 AM   #9
Z86

Drives: 86 GTS Auto in Pegasus White
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffa View Post

My main private sale concern is, is a 2000 190km celica desirable these days at 10-11k?

My main trade in concern is, is it even worth putting the money down for realignment, service or the dealer would just do it. Dont want to put the money down and get 6k when the dealer probably would have just offered the same amount if i didnt put money into it first.
Is it desirable - hell yes... a younger guy or girl, who would love an 86 but can't afford it would go for something like this. When I was 17, I couldn't afford a brand new RX7 - so I looked at one that was 18 years old for 7K cause that was how much I could afford. You know, Uni student, working part time and all that.

But if you trade it - don't do any work to it at all. It won't get you any more money (maybe a couple of hundred).... the dealer can fix these things cheaper than you can because they have access to the parts and labour cheaper.
Z86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:19 AM   #10
Suffa

Thanks again, thats some great info to think over.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:56 AM   #11
JP
Backyard Fabricator

Drives: JZX83, SF5 GT, ZZE82 turbo
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
if the paint is in poor condition the dealer will most likely send it off to auction/clearance yard so dont bother with the rear gas struts and remove all the aftermarket gear you can and flog it on ebay/boostcruising etc.

You should get a wheel alignment anyway, if it's out far enough to be pulling, you'll be scrubbing the tyres to death anyway. If you dont want to spend $50 on an alignment I wouldn't recommend spending $35K on an 86
JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:09 AM   #12
Suffa

Its one of those things im not sure if my mind playing tricks on me or if it really is pulling.Going down a straight its fine, going at low speeds it seems to want to pull all over the road surface.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:20 AM   #13
tibsy92

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Thunder Silver MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I sold my 2011 vw polo 6r for 19k at the original place I got it from as Toyota said they'll give me 15k.. or private for 21k.. for private tho I wouldve had to service, change brakes, wheels etc.. all worth $2000 est. with selling to dealer they said don't worry about it all, don't even clean it.. so I took the time to remove the sub an amp, take out the hid kit, etc. And sold it in on the day.

It's whatever works for you.. you just need to do minor things to get a good return so I say private it. Only issue tho is if yu sell the car too early you won't have one.. if you dont then you won't have the moolah for the 86..

Trade in = hassle free and comfort
Private = maximised profit and comfort knowing you got an extra few $$
tibsy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #14
Suffa

Yeah Ill get a quote on the trade in and go from there. Thanks for all the advice.