follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 02-24-2019, 01:48 AM   #127
mistople

Drives: 2017 BRZ (Sold), 2023 GR86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Thissen View Post
Really loving this build! I might have missed it but, what camera are you shooting with?

Thanks! Leica Q or iPhone 7
mistople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:09 PM   #128
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kch View Post
Definitely looking forward to getting back out there with yall.

I plan to register for some Turn2 events, and I'm currently registered for a TSS event at Ridge on June 23. This year I'll have some shiny new SPL parts to dial-in, so that's exciting. Still trying to figure out what tire I want, though. Leaning towards Z3s again.

Back in Texas I could get 24+ days per year. That's just not possible anymore.
I'm looking at z3's too. My RS3's are 4 years old.

@mistople you are killing me posting all these pics of new stuff. I'm already jonesing for some good track day weather.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoHaveMSG For This Useful Post:
mistople (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 07:26 PM   #129
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I'm looking at z3's too. My RS3's are 4 years old.

@mistople you are killing me posting all these pics of new stuff. I'm already jonesing for some good track day weather.
I ran 245 Z3s last year and was happy with them. Pretty quiet, but had good heat tolerance. Would fall off a little by the end of the session, but that just made them more fun.
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kch For This Useful Post:
mistople (02-24-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 10:57 AM   #130
mistople

Track day at Pacific Raceways: 1:46.17

We're back! First track day of the season and my first day at Pacific Raceways. What a track! I was plagued by a few technical issues after getting cleared to run solo that made for an interesting day. First, my A350 disconnected itself from the overpipe during my first couple of laps out. The car sounded super loud and ran like crap (especially off-throttle) so I brought it in, got it up on stands, and took the skid plate off.

Turns out all three bolts connecting the header to the OP somehow rattled loose and were nowhere to be found. The gasket, as expected, fell out and melted itself to some of the plastic surrounding the skid plate. Not fun. A very nice BRZ owner gave me a lift to O'Reillys where I was lucky enough to find some decent threaded bolts to get me through the day. I stitched the car back up and all looked to be fine from there.

During the last session I was black flagged with reports of oil smoke. A quick peak under the car leads me to believe diff oil had escaped and started dripping onto the catback causing it to smoke. Not sure what could be going on other than potentially an overfill. I'll be doing a full fluid flush as well as taking the car to Doug at Chase Race to make sure everything looks good for a 4/5 event at RMP.

The track is fantastic. Especially with the newly paved section in the back that has apparently been historically bumpy and low on grip. I found it a decently forgiving track despite everyone telling me it was more difficult and technical than RMP. Driving 7 or 8/10ths throughout the day made for a fun, low-key event. ProFormance is a solid organizer with whom I wouldn't hesitate to run with again.

I managed a 1:46.17 in the light rain. Virtual best of 1:41.xx.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-Di2VvHM7s[/ame]

Raw footage of a long session:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe4GUbdfpqI&t=1442s[/ame]

Last edited by mistople; 03-27-2019 at 12:39 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mistople For This Useful Post:
dowroa (03-26-2019), Go Frogs (06-04-2019), kch (04-02-2019), NoHaveMSG (03-26-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 12:34 AM   #131
mistople

Arai GP-6S + Simpson Hybrid-S + Sparco RG-5

I bit the bullet and picked up some new safety gear for the year. I didn't have the posts in the helmet yet for last weekends event but I'm excited to get the Hybrid-S all rigged up for next time.

All of the pieces seem to be extremely high-quality so far.

Arai GP-6S Helmet
Simpson Hybrid-S HANS device
Sparco RG-5 gloves

Old 03-30-2019, 12:26 PM   #132
mistople

JRSC update: t-minus one week until install.
The Following User Says Thank You to mistople For This Useful Post:
Elliotw (04-01-2019)
Old 04-01-2019, 04:06 PM   #133
Elliotw

Drives: '18 BRZ tS, '18 GTI SE, '11 RS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistople View Post
We're back! First track day of the season and my first day at Pacific Raceways. What a track! I was plagued by a few technical issues after getting cleared to run solo that made for an interesting day. First, my A350 disconnected itself from the overpipe during my first couple of laps out. The car sounded super loud and ran like crap (especially off-throttle) so I brought it in, got it up on stands, and took the skid plate off.

Turns out all three bolts connecting the header to the OP somehow rattled loose and were nowhere to be found. The gasket, as expected, fell out and melted itself to some of the plastic surrounding the skid plate. Not fun. A very nice BRZ owner gave me a lift to O'Reillys where I was lucky enough to find some decent threaded bolts to get me through the day. I stitched the car back up and all looked to be fine from there.

During the last session I was black flagged with reports of oil smoke. A quick peak under the car leads me to believe diff oil had escaped and started dripping onto the catback causing it to smoke. Not sure what could be going on other than potentially an overfill. I'll be doing a full fluid flush as well as taking the car to Doug at Chase Race to make sure everything looks good for a 4/5 event at RMP.

The track is fantastic. Especially with the newly paved section in the back that has apparently been historically bumpy and low on grip. I found it a decently forgiving track despite everyone telling me it was more difficult and technical than RMP. Driving 7 or 8/10ths throughout the day made for a fun, low-key event. ProFormance is a solid organizer with whom I wouldn't hesitate to run with again.

I managed a 1:46.17 in the light rain. Virtual best of 1:41.xx.

Raw footage of a long session:

Look at that pavement!
Elliotw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Elliotw For This Useful Post:
mistople (04-02-2019)
Old 04-06-2019, 06:57 PM   #134
mistople

Friday's event with Hooked on Driving at RMP was a challenging, wet, and frankly humbling day.

I couldn't get the car setup to work in the ever-changing conditions. My car is typically set to be neutral or slightly understeer-biased, but this time around I had no faith in the rear end as it snapped on me on practically every corner. I tried all sorts of pressures, damper settings, etc., but nothing was working out.

I spun at 60+mph twice in the day, which isn't typical for me. I'm still not sure what was going on besides just having an off day as a driver. I'm still learning how to find a good rain line and where the limits of the car are in those conditions, so I'm sure it's mostly just skills to be learned! Riding with an instructor in another BRZ on SX2s helped me learn some of his preferred rain lines and limits of his car on slightly narrower SX2s.

Anyway, here are some slow laps from the day. You can see how even at low speeds on a drying track the car was very twitchy and unpredictable at times. I think I was running 30 seconds slower than my typical dry time.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F_HT2PjcJw&t=1s[/ame]

I decided to postpone the JRSC install since I don't exactly know what to do about the oil cooler yet. I'm waiting to hear back from Jackson Racing re: how to best swap the NA lines to the SC lines without making a huge mess.
NoHaveMSG (04-06-2019)
Old 04-06-2019, 07:08 PM   #135
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Pretty sure that instructor is a member of these boards. White BRZ with RR BBK?

I struggle in the rain too as much as I like driving in it at the track. I just don't have a handle on the limits and my RS3's suck terribly when they are cold. I think with a standard summer tire it would be much more forgiving as a 200TW range tire just seems to let go too suddenly with no indication it is at the limit.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:23 PM   #136
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
JRSC update: t-minus one week until install.
Who’s doing your install / dyno?
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 06:42 PM   #137
mistople

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
Who’s doing your install / dyno?
I'm doing the install myself. Delicious tuning for the tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Pretty sure that instructor is a member of these boards. White BRZ with RR BBK?

I struggle in the rain too as much as I like driving in it at the track. I just don't have a handle on the limits and my RS3's suck terribly when they are cold. I think with a standard summer tire it would be much more forgiving as a 200TW range tire just seems to let go too suddenly with no indication it is at the limit.
Yep. That was him.

I felt exactly the same about my SX2s. Just no warning. I'd lose the rear out of nowhere at almost every corner. I ended up just having to go super slow for the rest of the day since my grip confidence was totally gone.

That said, I still learned a lot with such low limits.
NoHaveMSG (04-07-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 11:31 PM   #138
mistople

A couple phone snaps from the pits:

This amazing GT4 racecar sounded unreal. Much want.

I'm always amazed how, without fail, every single track day I attend basically gives me the track to myself by the last session. I don't understand how people pay the crazy expensive event fees up here but then leave early. Anyway, I'll take it!

All packed up after a long day..

NoHaveMSG (04-08-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 03:06 PM   #139
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Friday's event with Hooked on Driving at RMP was a challenging, wet, and frankly humbling day.
How'd you like HOD as an org?
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:05 PM   #140
mistople

Quote:
Originally Posted by kch View Post
How'd you like HOD as an org?
They were rock solid. Super tight, really safe, and totally had their shit together. They were clearly much more formal/rigorous in their daily schedule, their safety procedures, etc. than some other groups I've run with.

They even had group leaders for all the run groups that checked in with you throughout the day. I left very impressed with them as an organization. Would absolutely run with them again.
kch (04-08-2019)