follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 02:06 PM   #43
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Just how many threads on this are there?

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php
stevesnj (06-14-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 02:10 PM   #44
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAcuban View Post
Say what you want, but the money spent on a swap that puts an FRS smack dab between a Challenger SRT8 and 370z nismo with a STOCK 2JZ, is impressive enough. But keeping in mind that the 2JZ is a stock motor and can easily be upgraded and tuned to 450 whp with very little work/$ coupled with the fact that, that amount of hp is not even pushing the limits of the 2JZ (like an FA20 would be) makes it a very reliable range for a potential daily.
My comment was mostly made in the context of this chassis + traction/drivability.

You can drag race all you want but anything beyond 300RWHP in this car without massive aero enhancements is just asking for trouble in corners.

As for "power to weight ratio", yes on paper your setup will be great. Plenty of 240SX have been swapped with 300/400/500RWHP "daily" setups before, I've dealt with probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 300-500 different types of cars set up this way. To actually drive it around is an entirely different thing.

Good luck with your budget Supra. For the amount of money you're spending, I'd rather just buy a JZA80, I see it for around $30k (nonturbo) to around $58-60k (turbo) on Autotrader.

-alex
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
Cole (06-14-2017), Tcoat (06-14-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 02:32 PM   #45
VAcuban

Drives: Totaled
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
But you didn't want a Supra because they cost to much. Instead you put a total of about $50K (counting custom body work) into some sort of Supra wantta be.
I can find loads of them for way less than half that price and that is in Canada where they are pretty rare.

http://www.kijiji.ca/b-cars-trucks/o...004a54a1000054
Just because I make decent money doesn't mean I want to spend it on $50-90k car, I CAN'T afford that in one go. But 50k for a for a 2jz frs is completely unrealistic.

-Used FRS 10-16k
-used 2jz gte w/ getrag 6 speed transmission 10-13k shipped
-pure automotive in MD specializes in this swap and offers installation of everything with their wiring harness kit + stand alone ecu for 6k.
-Add 500 to cover miscellaneous expenses and I'm still sitting at 35k on the high end of things. Only 9k more than a stock, brand new frs with 125 more HP but $15-55k less than a Supra. What exactly is the downside here?
Old 06-14-2017, 02:45 PM   #46
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
On behalf of the Supra community, please don't.

We have a lot of trouble as it is finding taillights for our own cars, as stock is very limited. I have a list of every taillight left in the country from Toyota and you can count the number of them on your hands. Parts are very expensive for our cars, and for the few of us that restore Supras, we would like for them to be used on Supras, so that we can keep as many of them on the road as possible.

Try RX-7 lights, the Mazda community couldn't care less. They're all swapping their taillights out to look like Dodges.

PS. If there are any double posts, lmk and I'll consolidate.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guff For This Useful Post:
Cole (06-14-2017), DAEMANO (06-14-2017), Tcoat (06-14-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 03:16 PM   #47
Tcoat

Quote:
Just because I make decent money doesn't mean I want to spend it on $50-90k car, I CAN'T afford that in one go. But 50k for a for a 2jz frs is completely unrealistic.

-Used FRS 10-16k
-used 2jz gte w/ getrag 6 speed transmission 10-13k shipped
-pure automotive in MD specializes in this swap and offers installation of everything with their wiring harness kit + stand alone ecu for 6k.
-Add 500 to cover miscellaneous expenses and I'm still sitting at 35k on the high end of things. Only 9k more than a stock, brand new frs with 125 more HP but $15-55k less than a Supra. What exactly is the downside here?
What about a tranny? Axles? Suspension? Exactly what do you think you will cover with $500 for miscellaneous? You will not end up with a drivable car for $35K. That does not include the RB kit or other body mods that would match your dream picture.

How hard have you even looked for a Supra? There are loads for under the $50K to $90K you cite. Hell if you are going to rebuild a whole FRS then you could even start with and 80s one for under $5K
Attached Images

Cole (06-14-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 03:53 PM   #48
bkharmony

Drives: 2017 86GT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
OP, I was about to suggest you post this on the FT86 subreddit, but I see you already did. I thought it would be more their speed over there, but they don't seem to be convinced either.
The Following User Says Thank You to bkharmony For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-14-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 04:00 PM   #49
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
On behalf of people with good taste we concur, please don't.

Call me a hater, but the headlamps and tail lights of the original Supra were some of it's worst design traits.

Could the headlights be any bigger? This made for one seriously goofy face.

Like Kate Upton, great ride I'm absolutely sure, but all headlights, no ass. Sorry to say, but a boring and uninspired part of a great design.

The rest of the melted jellybean shape had good proportions and feels oh-so-90's. Let's leave the heads and tails for people like @Guff who truly want/need them on cars that they truly belong to.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
Cole (06-14-2017), Guff (06-14-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 04:20 PM   #50
PetrolioBenzina

Drives: 17 86
Thanked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
More interested in the "weapons engineer" part. What do you do at HK?
Old 06-14-2017, 04:45 PM   #51
olsonpg

Drives: BRZ. R34 GT-T
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Never give up on your dreams bro! Don't let the sour patch man-children on this forum get you down.
VAcuban (06-14-2017), Wyatt2617 (06-15-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 05:46 PM   #52
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
No need to wait. Gazoo Racing already did this.

Attachment 154668
That's how it should of looked. I'd do this in a second

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
The Following User Says Thank You to stevesnj For This Useful Post:
KR-S (06-15-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 06:43 PM   #53
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
On behalf of the Supra community, please don't.

We have a lot of trouble as it is finding taillights for our own cars, as stock is very limited. I have a list of every taillight left in the country from Toyota and you can count the number of them on your hands. Parts are very expensive for our cars, and for the few of us that restore Supras, we would like for them to be used on Supras, so that we can keep as many of them on the road as possible.

Try RX-7 lights, the Mazda community couldn't care less. They're all swapping their taillights out to look like Dodges.

PS. If there are any double posts, lmk and I'll consolidate.
Please see the post above yours.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:52 PM   #54
VAcuban

Drives: Totaled
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
lol I don't think some of you guys understand the concept of a PROJECT CAR. Shit's not gonna happen overnight. It's going to be a gradual progression over time. Some of you are already nit picking and demanding to know what I'm gonna do about suspension. lol, seriously?

and speaking of nit picking..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
What about a tranny? Axles? Suspension? Exactly what do you think you will cover with $500 for miscellaneous? You will not end up with a drivable car for $35K. That does not include the RB kit or other body mods that would match your dream picture.

How hard have you even looked for a Supra? There are loads for under the $50K to $90K you cite. Hell if you are going to rebuild a whole FRS then you could even start with and 80s one for under $5K
I guess you skimmed over the part where I mentioned I can get a low mileage 2JZ-GTE w/ a 6 speed Getrag Tranmission for $10-13k, shipped..

As far as axles and suspension, when I reach that bridge, I'll cross it. But from what I can tell, everything is good up till you hit 475 lbs. of torque.

My short term goal is only to just get the 325 hp (crank) engine swapped into the FRS. And the 500 just covers anything little items that inherently comes with an engine swap like hoses, belts, fluids, spark plugs, etc, ie.. miscellaneous items.

As for those Supras going for dirt cheap.. here's some advice. Anything that seems to good to be true, probably is. If you see a Supra going for those prices, you have to ask yourself.. why? Why are they selling them for dirt cheap? Surely it's not out of the goodness of their hearts... Another tip, don't ever buy a 20+ year old car with those sort of mods, or any year really, with mods like that. Chances are the owner beat the hell out of the car and he's probably selling it because he knows it won't last much longer before it starts having more serious problems. Besides, I want a PROJECT CAR, not trying to buy someone else's project..

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolioBenzina View Post
More interested in the "weapons engineer" part. What do you do at HK?
haha.. I mean, the smallest weapon I worked with was a 9mm Baretta, but no, my main squeeze were tomahawks and ADCAP torpedoes, specifically on nuclear fast attack Submarines. I was responsible for ensuring all the auxiliary systems were functioning properply (high and low pressure: air, water, hydraulics, reducers, etc.) in order to launch those 19 foot long tubes of freedom. Honestly, the job itself was cake, but the training, schools, and qualifications leading up to it were intense. While it sounds interesting, I don't recommend it. It doesn't qualify you for that many jobs when you get out..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
My comment was mostly made in the context of this chassis + traction/drivability.

You can drag race all you want but anything beyond 300RWHP in this car without massive aero enhancements is just asking for trouble in corners.

As for "power to weight ratio", yes on paper your setup will be great. Plenty of 240SX have been swapped with 300/400/500RWHP "daily" setups before, I've dealt with probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 300-500 different types of cars set up this way. To actually drive it around is an entirely different thing.

Good luck with your budget Supra. For the amount of money you're spending, I'd rather just buy a JZA80, I see it for around $30k (nonturbo) to around $58-60k (turbo) on Autotrader.

-alex
Dude. I'm just trying to get a 2JZ in the platform I like. I'm not out there trying to win competitions or break records or build an insane amount of hp. Though I would love to own a Supra, it's just outside my budget. The frs 2jz swap is cheaper, lighter, and newer.

"I've dealt with probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 300-500 different types of cars set up this way."

But I take it you've never driven a Supra before. The powerband comes on violently, but only at higher RPMS. A 600 hp Supra is very streetable because of the inherent characteristics of its power plant, but I'm not even shooting for something that high. 450 would be my max and that's down the road...
Old 06-14-2017, 06:59 PM   #55
Mule
Banned

Drives: 2013 FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
Tell that to OP when he solicited opinions on his idea of a "Supra but not really a Supra and not really paying for a Supra" conversion idea.

Holy shit man why are so many ppl being ****s?? If you don't like the OP's creative vision there's zero need to shit all over him.

Real 'car guys' get along no matter what one's taste is - we're like 0.0003% of the population and have a strong 💪 common denominator; a love and passion for cars.

Unless you want to encourage the guy or give creative input of your own I don't know you would go out of your way to snipe and be negative.

We should be trying to spread the gear head love, not slag a brother just cause you don't agree with his taste.

Jesus, so much hate in this forum...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mule For This Useful Post:
olsonpg (06-15-2017), VAcuban (06-14-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 07:01 PM   #56
Mule
Banned

Drives: 2013 FRS
Quote:
lol I don't think some of you guys understand the concept of a PROJECT CAR. Shit's not gonna happen overnight. It's going to be a gradual progression over time. Some of you are already nit picking and demanding to know what I'm gonna do about suspension. lol, seriously?

and speaking of nit picking..

I guess you skimmed over the part where I mentioned I can get a low mileage 2JZ-GTE w/ a 6 speed Getrag Tranmission for $10-13k, shipped..

As far as axles and suspension, when I reach that bridge, I'll cross it. But from what I can tell, everything is good up till you hit 475 lbs. of torque.

My short term goal is only to just get the 325 hp (crank) engine swapped into the FRS. And the 500 just covers anything little items that inherently comes with an engine swap like hoses, belts, fluids, spark plugs, etc, ie.. miscellaneous items.

As for those Supras going for dirt cheap.. here's some advice. Anything that seems to good to be true, probably is. If you see a Supra going for those prices, you have to ask yourself.. why? Why are they selling them for dirt cheap? Surely it's not out of the goodness of their hearts... Another tip, don't ever buy a 20+ year old car with those sort of mods, or any year really, with mods like that. Chances are the owner beat the hell out of the car and he's probably selling it because he knows it won't last much longer before it starts having more serious problems. Besides, I want a PROJECT CAR, not trying to buy someone else's project..

haha.. I mean, the smallest weapon I worked with was a 9mm Baretta, but no, my main squeeze were tomahawks and ADCAP torpedoes, specifically on nuclear fast attack Submarines. I was responsible for ensuring all the auxiliary systems were functioning properply (high and low pressure: air, water, hydraulics, reducers, etc.) in order to launch those 19 foot long tubes of freedom. Honestly, the job itself was cake, but the training, schools, and qualifications leading up to it were intense. While it sounds interesting, I don't recommend it. It doesn't qualify you for that many jobs when you get out..

Dude. I'm just trying to get a 2JZ in the platform I like. I'm not out there trying to win competitions or break records or build an insane amount of hp. Though I would love to own a Supra, it's just outside my budget. The frs 2jz swap is cheaper, lighter, and newer.

"I've dealt with probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 300-500 different types of cars set up this way."

But I take it you've never driven a Supra before. The powerband comes on violently, but only at higher RPMS. A 600 hp Supra is very streetable because of the inherent characteristics of its power plant, but I'm not even shooting for something that high. 450 would be my max and that's down the road...

Don't listen to Tcoat et al. They're ****s and don't deserve to have a voice on this forum.

Be unique and good luck with your build. 👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Closed Thread

Tags
conversion, light, supra, tail, taillight