follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 05-30-2017, 09:22 PM   #85
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by angadam View Post
I work on heavy equipment and what they do is have a red flashing light that gives you 30 seconds before the engine shuts down. Basically oil pressure, coolant temp, or coolant level it give you 30 seconds.

It may be difficult to incorporate this into our dash without complaints though.
http://www.partdeal.com/murphy-swich...FQgMaQodIPwBuw
Heavy equipment as in highway vehicles or heavy equipment off road?
Old 05-30-2017, 09:33 PM   #86
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm glad things worked out for you. It reminded me of when I had my NB miata years ago, pre FRS release dates, possibly still be dinosaurs. Anyways I had bought it used and didn't check well and noticed the car had a large oil leak(learn my lessons the hard way) long story short I ended up fixing every seal their was in the car and it still leaked. Turned out the filter was cracked and the oil came out of it. $400 dollars worth of fixes for something about $40 Dollars.

Glad it worked out for you.

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:40 PM   #87
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phiflyhigh View Post
So the problem is fixed!!!! It turns out the oil filter the last person put on was either incorrect or wasn't secured hence the ringing/grinding/whirring noise. Anyways after some extensive testing between 5,000-6,000 rpms, no more noise.
I'm kind of amazed that a wrong oil filter only gave you noise, and not an engine bay full of oil.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 03:20 AM   #88
Scrappydoo

Drives: Grrrr
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
I'm kind of amazed that a wrong oil filter only gave you noise, and not an engine bay full of oil.
Me too. Especially the grinding.
Scrappydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:11 AM   #89
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I got really excited seeing a new thread and within the 1st page a new user not the OP with the words BANNED. I read this whole 7 page thread and it was very disappointing in the lack of shenanigans that I was expecting. Then again maybe I'm just spoiled on my local Subaru thread with the level of idiocy that happens there before a thread gets locked haha. I listened to the video and I to could not hear what you were talking about. Glad you figured our the issue. But as many others pointed out, You buy a new car if for nothing else to have a nice warranty. Use it. Especially if you are new to the car world its better safe then sorry and get it looked at
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jasonojordan For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-31-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 11:32 AM   #90
jubella2

Drives: DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonojordan View Post
I got really excited seeing a new thread and within the 1st page a new user not the OP with the words BANNED. I read this whole 7 page thread and it was very disappointing in the lack of shenanigans that I was expecting. Then again maybe I'm just spoiled on my local Subaru thread with the level of idiocy that happens there before a thread gets locked haha.
No other forum I've visited has come close to matching the MN shenanigans
jubella2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jubella2 For This Useful Post:
jasonojordan (05-31-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 12:44 PM   #91
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappydoo View Post
Me too. Especially the grinding.
I mean, the last time I had an oil filter making noise from improper installation, my entire engine bay was up in smoke after a few minutes...
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 03:27 PM   #92
Gforce
Banned

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
So driving down the highway and you get a low oil pressure situation and your car just shuts down? OH sounds like a great idea.
If your low pressure light comes on it it either too late or no problem anyway. Shutting the car down automatically is the dumbest idea yet.

So when exactly is the ultrasonic device supposed to measure the level? The level varies with engine speed and temperature.
There is an ultrasonic wave generator that measures the distance to the surface of the oil, continuously. You will recall compression and rarefaction waves from your high school physics (also useful to understand tuned headers, intake runners and variable valve timing) and SONAR from reading about WWII submarine warfare. Same technology.

The resulting signals are processed continuously and if the actual level drops below the factory preset safe level (obviously some distance below the low mark on an analog dipstick) the warning is displayed. Most will not display oil level at all to the driver unless certain parameters are met: parked level, engine off for x minutes and not too hot.

There are also microwave versions (a type of RADAR) and thermal types (oil surface temperature will be slightly hotter than the air above it.)
Gforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 03:47 PM   #93
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforce View Post
There is an ultrasonic wave generator that measures the distance to the surface of the oil, continuously. You will recall compression and rarefaction waves from your high school physics (also useful to understand tuned headers, intake runners and variable valve timing) and SONAR from reading about WWII submarine warfare. Same technology.

The resulting signals are processed continuously and if the actual level drops below the factory preset safe level (obviously some distance below the low mark on an analog dipstick) the warning is displayed. Most will not display oil level at all to the driver unless certain parameters are met: parked level, engine off for x minutes and not too hot.

There are also microwave versions (a type of RADAR) and thermal types (oil surface temperature will be slightly hotter than the air above it.)
Yep. We have used them at work for static oil tanks for a couple of decades and they work great for that. Car engine oil levels are not static and the use of such a system would not work well while operating. If it was just to be used when the car is stopped, level and the oil at a certain temperature then sure maybe it would be fine but then it is just adding unnecessary tech and expense when a dipstick will do the same thing under those conditions. As far as a warning of low oil pressure (no matter what the cause) while the engine is running goes, gauges and idiot lights have worked fine since the car was invented.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:19 PM   #94
Scrappydoo

Drives: Grrrr
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Yep. We have used them at work for static oil tanks for a couple of decades and they work great for that. Car engine oil levels are not static and the use of such a system would not work well while operating. If it was just to be used when the car is stopped, level and the oil at a certain temperature then sure maybe it would be fine but then it is just adding unnecessary tech and expense when a dipstick will do the same thing under those conditions. As far as a warning of low oil pressure (no matter what the cause) while the engine is running goes, gauges and idiot lights have worked fine since the car was invented.

Of course. Slow night?
Scrappydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:56 AM   #95
bababooey

Drives: BRZ SWP Limited -6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
i too didnt hear funny noises
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:10 PM   #96
angadam

Drives: 14 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Heavy equipment as in highway vehicles or heavy equipment off road?
I guess it would be considered mostly off road but some street sweepers as well and airport maintenance equipment. The 30 seconds is to allow you to pull off to a safe area.
angadam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to angadam For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-10-2017)