follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 12:00 PM   #71
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
Where did these numbers come from?
I've seen it floating around for the last little awhile and was wondering how they even came to such numbers (its fairly specific)....

Closest thing i could think of is the 86 GRMN with the 216hp/160lbft FA20.
You are 475.3 miles from me.

Sounds specific for something i just pulled out of my butt isn't it?
TylerLieberman (07-03-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 12:29 PM   #72
TylerLieberman

Drives: '20 Hakone 86
Thanked 3,333 Times in 1,571 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
I've seen it floating around for the last little awhile and was wondering how they even came to such numbers (its fairly specific)....

People have been throwing all sorts of random numbers out there for a while now. It's easy to say 301 instead of 300 in an article.

I wouldn't read into it too much.

I'm still just sitting here waiting to see any concrete proof that a new car is still being developed. Any spy shots of a new vehicle being driven/tested? Ya know.. like we saw with the original car like 3yrs before it was even released.
The Following User Says Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
Red-86 (07-03-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 12:31 PM   #73
TylerLieberman

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
You are 475.3 miles from me.

Sounds specific for something i just pulled out of my butt isn't it?
Anything can sound legit if you're specific enough

The Following User Says Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (07-03-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 12:40 PM   #74
Lightened
Every Ounce Counts

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

220 ps = 217 Horsepower

24.5 kgm = 177 lb-ft of Torque

The article also mentions that Max Torque now comes sooner at 5500 RPM versus 6400 RPM
Old 07-03-2020, 12:43 PM   #75
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,219 Times in 1,202 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
People have been throwing all sorts of random numbers out there for a while now. It's easy to say 301 instead of 300 in an article.

I wouldn't read into it too much.

I'm still just sitting here waiting to see any concrete proof that a new car is still being developed. Any spy shots of a new vehicle being driven/tested? Ya know.. like we saw with the original car like 3yrs before it was even released.
well Toyota has a new mini nurburgring styled test track that they built in Japan (Shimoyama test track)
When they dropped the new IS they kind of touted this track as its proving ground. There was never any IS spy shots prior to the car launch (except a mysterious shrunken LS looking test mule of some kind) so my guess would be alot of the R&D work will now be done at this track, away from prying eyes. I imagine that theres going to be alot fewer toyota based product spy shots floating around.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
gymratter (07-03-2020), JesseG (07-09-2020), Lightened (07-03-2020), vh_supra26 (07-03-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 02:21 PM   #76
gymratter

Drives: BMW
Thanked 1,825 Times in 952 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
people said the same thing about the new Z. the test mule looks just like the current Z, just like with the OP.

Quote:
well Toyota has a new mini nurburgring styled test track that they built in Japan (Shimoyama test track)
When they dropped the new IS they kind of touted this track as its proving ground. There was never any IS spy shots prior to the car launch (except a mysterious shrunken LS looking test mule of some kind) so my guess would be alot of the R&D work will now be done at this track, away from prying eyes. I imagine that theres going to be alot fewer toyota based product spy shots floating around.
i was going to post the same thing.
Old 07-03-2020, 02:48 PM   #77
TylerLieberman

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratter View Post
people said the same thing about the new Z. the test mule looks just like the current Z, just like with the OP.

i was going to post the same thing.
Lol we’ll see. It’ll be fun revisiting this thread in the future. I enjoy reading the comment sections on YouTube from videos over the last decade saying all the test cars that were being seen were “definitely the turbo BRZ STI” or whatever else they were hoping for... just for it all to still be nothing.

I’ll maintain my skepticism until I see something official. I figured people would have learned by now to not treat automotive blogs as gospel, but it seems we’re still riding that train in 2020.
Old 07-03-2020, 03:09 PM   #78
gymratter

Quote:
Lol we’ll see. It’ll be fun revisiting this thread in the future. I enjoy reading the comment sections on YouTube from videos over the last decade saying all the test cars that were being seen were “definitely the turbo BRZ STI” or whatever else they were hoping for... just for it all to still be nothing.

I’ll maintain my skepticism until I see something official. I figured people would have learned by now to not treat automotive blogs as gospel, but it seems we’re still riding that train in 2020.
im not saying believe everything you read on the web, but let's look at the internet regarding 2.0 86 . we have an official press release from Toyota confirming a second gen.

we have a leaked road map from a dealer meeting.

FT86's reaction, fake news... someone just made a powerpoint.

oh really?

hybrid Sienna
https://pressroom.toyota.com/toyota-...of-lifestyles/

hybrid Venza
https://pressroom.toyota.com/toyota-...nza-crossover/
The Following User Says Thank You to gymratter For This Useful Post:
Lightened (07-03-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 03:14 PM   #79
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,897 Times in 11,357 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
im not saying believe everything you read, but let's look at the internet. we have an official press release from Toyota confirming a second gen.

I don't think anyone is denying there was an announcement, but the announcement was in Sept '19 and a lot has changed since that date. It is very feasible plans have changed, just no announcement has been made.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Red-86 (07-03-2020), TylerLieberman (07-03-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 03:18 PM   #80
TylerLieberman

Quote:
im not saying believe everything you read on the web, but let's look at the internet regarding 2.0 86 . we have an official press release from Toyota confirming a second gen.

oh really?

hybrid Sienna
https://pressroom.toyota.com/toyota-...of-lifestyles/

hybrid Venza
https://pressroom.toyota.com/toyota-...nza-crossover/
The Sienna and Venza are higher production vehicles than the 86. Both were already nearly completed and getting ready for production. That compared to a lower production vehicle that Toyota and Subaru have a joint partnership on aren't really the same thing.

This was all also pre covid era, which - as you know - is the great human species killer of our time. I'm hard pressed to believe that the next gen car isn't (at the very east) postponed given the huge shift in the world economy over the last 4-6 months.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-03-2020), JesseG (07-09-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 03:22 PM   #81
gymratter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I don't think anyone is denying there was an announcement, but the announcement was in Sept '19 and a lot has changed since that date. It is very feasible plans have changed, just no announcement has been made.
Quote:
The Sienna and Venza are higher production vehicles than the 86. Both were already nearly completed and getting ready for production. That compared to a lower production vehicle that Toyota and Subaru have a joint partnership on aren't really the same thing.

This was all also pre covid era, which - as you know - is the great human species killer of our time. I'm hard pressed to believe that the next gen car isn't (at the very east) postponed given the huge shift in the world economy over the last 4-6 months.
its been like 10 months. do you guys really expect Toyota to release a statement every few months regarding future products? you guys do know that almost 3 years went by without a press release from the time we saw the FT1 concept in Detroit to the Supra racing concept in Geneva.

i didn't say the Sienna and Venza weren't higher production vehicles. just saying that the internet was right. correct, COVID has charged a lot of things. but if the road map is to believed we're just a year away from sales. which probably also means they are pretty far into the R&D. Toyota still went through the with the LFA development despite the 2008 financial crisis.

Last edited by gymratter; 07-03-2020 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-03-2020, 03:40 PM   #82
TylerLieberman

Quote:
its been like 10 months. do you guys expect Toyota to release a statement every few months regarding future products? you guys do know that almost 3 years went by from the time we saw the FT1 concept in Detroit to the Supra racing concept in Geneva.

correct, COVID has charged a lot of things. but if the road map is to believed we're just a year away from sales. which probably also means they are pretty far into the R&D.
Toyota released a statement and re "launched" the Supra like every week for 6 months lol.

You're obviousy going to believe whatever you want to believe, and that's fine. We're now 1 year away from the supposed launch of the next gen car. It's been almost a year since Toyota and Subaru announced a continued partnership in the automotive industry, and it's been ~5 months since that powerpoint slide was leaked, and there has yet to be any real concrete info.

I'll be more than happy to be proven wrong when the time comes. I'd love to see the car continue and be a success. But given the track record of what I've seen here for almost a decade now regarding new vehicle rumors, I have my doubts.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-03-2020), gymratter (07-03-2020), Red-86 (07-03-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 03:49 PM   #83
gymratter

Quote:
Toyota released a statement and re "launched" the Supra like every week for 6 months lol.

You're obviousy going to believe whatever you want to believe, and that's fine. We're now 1 year away from the supposed launch of the next gen car. It's been almost a year since Toyota and Subaru announced a continued partnership in the automotive industry, and it's been ~5 months since that powerpoint slide was leaked, and there has yet to be any real concrete info.

I'll be more than happy to be proven wrong when the time comes. I'd love to see the car continue and be a success. But given the track record of what I've seen here for almost a decade now regarding new vehicle rumors, I have my doubts.
if you say so.

all im saying is we have a PR, early spyshots, and a road map. i understand where you are coming from, but we also dont have any statements from Toyota saying that the 2nd gen is canned. right, because as Sasquachulator stated, Toyota has their own testing track. hence why we didn't see any spy shots of the 2021 Lexus IS, but it still happen. Toyota didn't release monthly statements about it and here it is.

yes sir, i think we're just going to have to agree to disagree and revisit this topic at a future time.
The Following User Says Thank You to gymratter For This Useful Post:
TylerLieberman (07-03-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 03:54 PM   #84
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,897 Times in 11,357 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
yes sir, i think we're just going to have to agree to disagree and revisit this topic at a future time.
I'm really not arguing either way, as I think either path could be correct. In the end, I don't have any skin in this game because it's not on my personal roadmap for my next car. I love my 86, but there won't be a MK2 for me.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
gymratter (07-03-2020)

Closed Thread