follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 07-15-2015, 08:31 AM   #1
Tero

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Avoiding swirl marks and water spots?

I hand wash my car about every week at a local car wash place. Go through all the motions, use the spray polish, wax, clearcoat, rinse it off, do the spot free rinse. After that I go to dry the car with some microfiber cloths, well this past time I did it I had a bunch of swirl marks on my car. So I took it through a touchless wash, and it solved the visible swirl marks, but now I have a bunch of water spots all over. What is the easiest solution to avoid both of these?

Edit: I'm very new to washing my car myself, so any advice is appreciated

Last edited by Tero; 07-15-2015 at 08:49 AM.
Tero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:44 AM   #2
AFRichZC6

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
You have a lot to learn! I don't have much time before I head to work, but I'll throw out some quick items.

Terms:

Swirl Marks - Fine scratches in the paint. Scratches are in your paint (like getting keyed but much much less deep into the paint). Swirl marks are not something on your paint.

Polish - Abrasive compound used to abrade/level paint to remove swirl marks and light scratches

Wax - Protective coating on top of your paint. A sacrificial barrier to the elements. Not supposed to be abrasive.

Clearcoat - Actual paint product laid on top of base coat when the car was in the factory (or in the body shop getting repainted)

Consider the following whenever you make physical contact with your paint:

Is the media (towel or wash mitt) as clean and as soft of a material as possible? To me, if it has touched anything or stored in anything that's basically not sterile, it's considered dirty and goes into the dirty towel bin. Microfiber towels used for paint are separated from terry cloths and other microfibers that are used for the really dirty jobs, ie. wheel cleaning

Did you take the tags off the microfiber towels?

Is the paint surface really clean and dust/dirt-free? Are you working outside or in a less-dusty/dirty environment, ie. garage

How much pressure are you putting onto the paint, and is it necessary for the task you are doing?

Are you letting any drops of any type of water dry onto the paint surface, and is it drying in the sun? (You shouldn't)

Why are you touching your paint? Do you really have to? Is it really dirty/dusty enough to warrant touching it? Any physical contact with your paint is another chance for swirl marks to show up.

I just rattled off the most basic things I think about whenever I do detailing work on any car that has paint worth caring for.

Last edited by AFRichZC6; 07-15-2015 at 09:55 AM.
AFRichZC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AFRichZC6 For This Useful Post:
brandonblt2 (07-16-2015), Fakk (07-15-2015), Ornelas66 (07-15-2015), Tero (07-15-2015)
Old 07-15-2015, 10:03 AM   #3
Tero

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFRichZC6 View Post

Consider the following whenever you make physical contact with your paint:

Is the media (towel or wash mitt) as clean and as soft of a material as possible? To me, if it has touched anything or stored in anything that's basically not sterile, it's considered dirty and goes into the dirty towel bin. Microfiber towels used for paint are separated from terry cloths and other microfibers that are used for the really dirty jobs, ie. wheel cleaning

Did you take the tags off the microfiber towels?

Is the paint surface really clean and dust/dirt-free? Are you working outside or in a less-dusty/dirty environment, ie. garage

How much pressure are you putting onto the paint, and is it necessary for the task you are doing?

Are you letting any drops of any type of water dry onto the paint surface, and is it drying in the sun? (You shouldn't)

Why are you touching your paint? Do you really have to? Is it really dirty/dusty enough to warrant touching it? Any physical contact with your paint is another chance for swirl marks to show up.

I just rattled off the most basic things I think about whenever I do detailing work on any car that has paint worth caring for.
To answer some of those questions, yes I took the tags off the microfiber, they are ones that I purchased in the auto department of a local store.

The paint surface doesn't appear clean or dust free, it was washed outside. Yesterday was a particularly sunny day, and the sun was shining on the car when it was being washed.

When doing the routine of the wash I use the lowest pressure setting, and when I'm rinsing the car off the highest pressure setting on the wash.

And I avoid touching the paint at all cost. The only time I do is to confirm if something is like a rock chip, or scratch, or dent, instead of just a streak of dirt or something.

To add, I guess they aren't actual swirl marks, more like smudges from the microfiber in a circular motion. This was very noticeable in the sunlight, so I took it to a touchless wash at night, and it didn't dry completely, and I awoke to a water spot/streak covered car. Is there any fast solution to removing these? Like running a damp microfiber gently over it or something? I'd rather not run it through and wash it again if it can be avoided.

Last edited by Tero; 07-15-2015 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:15 AM   #4
TylerLieberman

Drives: '20 Hakone 86
Thanked 3,333 Times in 1,571 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tero View Post
To answer some of those questions, yes I took the tags off the microfiber, they are ones that I purchased in the auto department of a local store.

The paint surface doesn't appear clean or dust free, it is washed outside. Yesterday was a particularly sunny day, and the sun was shining on the car when it was being washed.

When doing the routine of the wash I use the lowest pressure setting, and when I'm rinsing the car off the highest pressure setting on the wash.

And I avoid touching the paint at all cost. The only time I do is to confirm if something is like a rock chip, or scratch, or dent, instead of just a streak of dirt or something.

To add, I guess they aren't actual swirl marks, more like smudges from the microfiber in a circular motion. This was very noticeable in the sunlight, so I took it to a touchless wash at night, and it didn't dry completely, and I awoke to a water spot/streak covered car. Is there any fast solution to removing these? Like running a damp microfiber gently over it or something? I'd rather not run it through and wash it again if it can be avoided.
The microfiber towels at the autoparts store are crap. I've been looking into a lot of detailing stuff since getting my new car last week and have learned a lot.

Adam's polishing has a lot of awesome, informational videos and tutorials on youtube. I just bought the "Adam's Essential Car Kit" and a few other things from @DetailersDomain over the weekend.

The microfiber towels that they have on there are much different than the ones from Autozone and stuff. They still have those types of microfiber towels but it's listed that those be used for things like doorjams, engine bay etc. and not the actual surface of the car.

I'm still quite a bit of a newb when it comes to this topic though, so maybe the guys from DetailersDomain can chime in since I tagged them in this post.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
Tero (07-15-2015), WhiteFRS69 (07-15-2015)
Old 07-15-2015, 10:19 AM   #5
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Just to give the opposite end of the spectrum:

I am the swirl mark King!

My car is a DD that gets almost 4,000 miles a month on it, year round. When not driving it sits outside. It is constantly exposed to sun, rain, dust, pollen, bugs, smoke, debris, snow, ice, tree sap, bird crap, cats, dogs, alien scans and any number of other mystery materials. I want to keep in clean and shiny but don't think of the paint as some delicate flower that can't be touched or take some abuse.
I wash it every week with a microfiber cloth that I rinse out and hang in the bucket which sits beside my hose and then wipe it down with an artificial chamois that I also rinse and throw back in it's container.
Do I have swirls? You bet I do and if I look at it at just the right angle, squint perfectly with the precise level of light I just may see them.
Can I tell from just looking at the car from 2 feet away? Nope and nobody else can either.
If it was a garage queen or show car then by all means I would handle it differently but it isn't so I don't.
86geek (07-16-2015), DriftinFRS (08-12-2015), EastBayCanuck (07-15-2015), LordTaikun (07-30-2015), SisterBlue22 (08-05-2015), soulreapersteve (07-19-2015), Tero (07-15-2015), Teseo (07-15-2015), Ultramaroon (08-05-2015)
Old 07-15-2015, 10:23 AM   #6
Tero

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Just to give the opposite end of the spectrum:

I am the swirl mark King!

My car is a DD that gets almost 4,000 miles a month on it, year round. When not driving it sits outside. It is constantly exposed to sun, rain, dust, pollen, bugs, smoke, debris, snow, ice, tree sap, bird crap, cats, dogs, alien scans and any number of other mystery materials. I want to keep in clean and shiny but don't think of the paint as some delicate flower that can't be touched or take some abuse.
I wash it every week with a microfiber cloth that I rinse out and hang in the bucket which sits beside my hose and then wipe it down with an artificial chamois that I also rinse and throw back in it's container.
Do I have swirls? You bet I do and if I look at it at just the right angle, squint perfectly with the precise level of light I just may see them.
Can I tell from just looking at the car from 2 feet away? Nope and nobody else can either.
If it was a garage queen or show car then by all means I would handle it differently but it isn't so I don't.
Haha ya I'm in the same boat. About 2000 miles a month all highway, so I get rock chips and window dinks all the time. Live in an apartment also, so my car is under a tree every night. Normally I don't care too much, I take it to the wash once a week spend about an hour on it, and normally it isn't bad. It's to my liking, just yesterday for some reason the smudges from the microfiber were atrocious and noticeable from 15+ yards back...

I guess I'm still in the baby phase since I've only had the car for a month, before I freaked out over the smallest thing, now I look at the front and just say, damn thats a lot of chips...oh well... But washing it and having swirl marks is something I can kind of control, so I want to avoid it if possible.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:46 AM   #7
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Haha ya I'm in the same boat. About 2000 miles a month all highway, so I get rock chips and window dinks all the time. Live in an apartment also, so my car is under a tree every night. Normally I don't care too much, I take it to the wash once a week spend about an hour on it, and normally it isn't bad. It's to my liking, just yesterday for some reason the smudges from the microfiber were atrocious and noticeable from 15+ yards back...

I guess I'm still in the baby phase since I've only had the car for a month, before I freaked out over the smallest thing, now I look at the front and just say, damn thats a lot of chips...oh well... But washing it and having swirl marks is something I can kind of control, so I want to avoid it if possible.
This is my sixth new car so my baby stage for it was about a week and I know that anything I do while washing it is the least of my worries. Worst thing I ever did was wax my brand new Lancer wearing a jacket with metal buttons on the cuffs. Didn't notice I had been dragging the button over the paint until done half the car. It was nasty and I make sure to never do that again.

To be clear I am not criticizing those that treat their car like a precious jewel but simply pointing out that it is a car and the paint is specifically made to be able to take some contact and is able to be washed.
Tero (07-15-2015)
Old 07-15-2015, 11:20 AM   #8
brandonblt2
The Stig's African Cousin

Drives: 2014 wrb brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
what kind of wax are you using? Is it spray on wax or liquid wax? If you are properly using the liquid wax you should not really be seeing any swirl marks in the clearcoat.
brandonblt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brandonblt2 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-15-2015)
Old 07-15-2015, 11:26 AM   #9
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,916 Times in 1,765 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I lol at baby phase. I was in that team when scratched a bit the front bumper and some swirls
then i realized i need to knees and put my chek on the floor see front scratches. About swirls i need my glasses for notice them, remember for untrained eyes this car shine itself no matter if clean or crap
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Teseo For This Useful Post:
RustySocket (08-05-2015)
Old 07-15-2015, 11:29 AM   #10
jeffchap

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Answer: buy a white car next time
Old 07-15-2015, 11:41 AM   #11
G-awesome

Drives: 2015 Firestorm Scion FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I still think my firestorm frs looks good (from a distance) when it's not washed for a month with a light layer of dust on top. I call it additional protection on top of wax. Hides the swirls and imperfections as well! :P
G-awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:01 PM   #12
WhiteFRS69

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,432 Times in 756 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
if you want to learn alot on how to take care of your car

look into watching some AMMO NYC videos, this guy is a crazy perfectionist! and its awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYs...TkoxI5D17s1u-w
WhiteFRS69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteFRS69 For This Useful Post:
steeloyangster (08-05-2015), Tero (07-15-2015)
Old 07-15-2015, 12:12 PM   #13
TylerLieberman

Drives: '20 Hakone 86
Thanked 3,333 Times in 1,571 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
I've started to see that if you start early, it's pretty easy to keep the car looking really good.

Paint correction and polishing will take a good period of time to do, as will the rest of that initial deep cleaning/ "restoration". After that though, all you do is change the items you're using and maybe a couple of the methods and you can keep the paint looking really nice for a good while.

Paint correction, polishing, wax/sealant along with a good clean on the rest of the car. After that, go to a DIY carwash or something and bring your stuff with you. Wash the car, use some detail spray, and then dry it off with the proper towel. After that, just go over a few areas if they need it and you're good to go.

I'm still new to it though, so I'm still learning as I said. I'll be doing the full first cleaning on my '16 STI this weekend with all the stuff I just bought. Should be interesting
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:43 PM   #14
Turbo95eg6

Drives: 2014 BRZ SWP LTD
Thanked 2,266 Times in 858 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
I hand wash my car about every week at a local car wash place.

That's all I had to read. Let me guess, you use one of these?

Water spots come from mineral deposits that are left once water is dried. Depending on the severity, it might have to get polished out. More info about it here:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-type-iii.html

Never, ever, ever EVER use the chemicals and/or water provided by a local car wash. Here's a quote I pulled from a different thread, if you're serious about keeping the paint in good shape it's time to start learning. One bad wash and it's back to swirl city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo95eg6 View Post
Never clay unless you plan on polishing after. Washing correctly in less frequency will give your clear coat a longer life span of being swirl free. I wash once every 2-3 weeks or twice a month. Avoid any drive through car washes. Keep your car waxed in between, I personally use spray wax.

Here are the links to basic products that I would suggest to maintain the paint. I recommend purchasing them on sites that have frequent sales, usually around 15% off.

The two videos will teach you the traditional washing method, the other is for a waterless wash system. Again, the point of these techniques is to cause less chance of dragging any debris or particles across your paint. Oh, and go get a pressure washer from Costco, there's a decent one for around $200. Trust me on this one.

Wheel cleaner "brush"
http://www.carpro-us.com/wheel-wooli...icators-tools/

For tires, plastic etc...
http://www.carpro-us.com/perl-plasti...ce-protection/

Wheels
http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-al...e-cleaner.html

Spray wax
http://www.optimumcarcare.com/owax.php?li=4

Quick detailer
http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-fa...ail-spray.html

To dry
http://www.carpro-us.com/microfiber-...crazy-25-x-17/

Wash mitt
Amazon.com: Aussie Merino Wool Wash Mitt: Automotive

Micro fiber towels
http://www.carpro-us.com/hidden-edge...ofiber-towels/

For wash
Amazon.com: Meguiar's D11001 Hyper-Wash - 1 Gallon: Automotive

Waterless wash concentrate - another option
http://www.autodetailingsolutions.ne...onr-32-oz.html

- traditional wash video

- waterless wash method
Tero (07-15-2015), WhiteFRS69 (07-15-2015)