follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 10-23-2014, 08:23 PM   #71
Sideways&Smiling

Drives: AP2 S2000, S14 240sx
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manji View Post
Just to put it out there, I costed my swap at $23k.
$9k of which is motec/wiring/sensors.

My motor I got for $1500

My box $2500

Clutch and bell $2000

The rest is mounts $600, headers $1500, exhaust $400, driveshaft $800.

Then there's incidentals which I've budgeted as best I can.

Labour I'm paying $3k, and that's mates rates.

You won't do any swap for $10k. Maybe $12k if you run the ecu that's comes with the new motor independently from body ecu. I reckon you could rig up the heater and ac to work, and maybe the ps too, but not the gauges, not easily anyway. I didn't want to do mine half ass, so decided to use a motec m150 as it's going to solve all the issues.

It comes down to what you want. People say boosted fa20's are reliable, and it really comes down to your definition of reliable. I think theyre grenades. But that's because I like to be able to really beat on a car (I'm not talking highway pulls I'm talking full-tank sessions at the track) My gt86 isn't a track car, it's my street car, but I do take it to the track if I cbf loadin my race car on the trailer, or if it's hot and I want to use the GT cos it has ac.

I had a sc and it could only take 5 laps, 10 at most. Then I had a turbo kit on the car but realised that if that blew the motor, and then I built a motor, and them adapted a proper gearbox, I'd have easily spent what an engine conversion would cost. Especially when you consider the sale of the fa20 and the box. I'm more looking at just doing it properly and enjoying the car, rather than forever modifying it. Something I wished I'd done before buying two FI kits.

Here's where I was at a few weeks ago.

I need to make another vid as there's been more progress. Motor and box are mounted. Making headers and exhaust atm. Then it's sorting the ancillaries, ac, cooling, swaybar, t/b, intake.

One thing people don't get, is that it's not peak power to weight, it's torque to weight that makes a great car (IMO) and unlike an FI setup that has to wait or build it's torque, a larger displacement has it basically off idle.

It's going to make an epic daily.

Sure, I should've just gone and bought a 996 gt3, or a e92 m3, or an isf; but any douchebag with money can do that. I like that what I'll end up with you can't just go and buy, and it needed some knowledge/balls to do.

I'm building my car for me. I'll probably never sell it because I like how it looks, I like that all the parts it has currently and the ones I've put in are cheap to maintain and replace, I like that it'll have the realiabilty the toyota brand of 1970-1999 was known for, and I like that'll have supercar level torque/weight, without giving away that fact visually, or from making any huge compromise to realiabilty, drivability, or handling. But I'm paying a premium to achieve it.

Only other thing I'll add, I've had at least a dozen sr20's over the years. They get unrealiable at about 350whp; as in last a few drift events at best. At 300whp and only street driven they last, but then so do fa20s; so don't see what your achieving even considering an sr20 swap. Only time of consider an sr20 swap into a gt96 is if I had a spare built sr laying around. Which is why I nearly put a built 3sg beams in my gt86, because I have a spare race motor. But the whole purpose of me having a spare motor is so I can swap it quickly if need be.

TL;DR engine swaps in this car, done properly START at $25k. Take it from someone with experience with these types of builds, that is also a QS by day.

(In other words, I've spent my career focusing on costing things out accurately, so I'm sure as shit going to do it right when it's my own money.) I costed lots of options prior to choosing the 1uz. The ls3 option was more like $35k done properly - using a crate motor and new box.
Why in the world would you spend that much money on a 1uz swap? That's absurd.

There are plenty of people who have done full 500+whp swaps for $8k-$12k. Don't be ridiculous.
Sideways&Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:58 PM   #72
Turdinator
Seņor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways&Smiling View Post
Why in the world would you spend that much money on a 1uz swap? That's absurd.

There are plenty of people who have done full 500+whp swaps for $8k-$12k. Don't be ridiculous.
Not everyone on this forum lives in the US. 1UZ swaps are a good option in other parts of the world.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:29 PM   #73
BlackMonarch

Drives: Red BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw14 View Post
See this is part of what I was looking to get out of this thread. The engine comes with an ECU and a wiring harness, but you're right I would need to get the existing harness to mesh with the one the engine comes with. As I mentioned in the thread, I have little experience with mechanics, especially engine swaps. I do know several people who do have the experience and even the tools necessary to do so. It would definitely be a learning experience, and I've got to learn some time!

The main reason I want to do a swap is to be able to hold more power. A friend of mine told a story of a guy he knew who turbo'd his BRZ, had Dynosty tune it to around 400whp and very shortly after cracked his casing. He said that the moral of the story to him was that the FA20 simply cannot hold that kind of power (there's still room for other explanations, the biggest being a bad tune).

As for the comparison of a 240 swap v.s. my FRS swap, most of those considerations are legitimate, if you're swapping it into a 240. But I'm not. While I will still have to take most of that into account, those are questions that can be answered rather quickly for my car.

Thanks for all the suggestions and considerations so far!
That bit that I highlighted there... That's the issue - A friend of a buddy of a cousin told me x,y, and z - So it's obviously true!

Not always the case. Improper tune can grenade a motor, and I doubt it was just the engine itself not holding the power.
BlackMonarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:45 PM   #74
UtahSleeper

Drives: 80 Corolla 88 Celica Alltrac 13 FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorovert View Post
Has anyone swapped an FA20 into another car??
I have thought about it in my TE72, just for the weight ditribution...........1UZ is to fun to not do though.
UtahSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:56 PM   #75
TylerLieberman

Drives: '20 Hakone 86
Thanked 3,333 Times in 1,571 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
As much as I love the SR20, I would just opt for a VVTi 1JZ swap.

Stock SR motors have been proven to take around 400hp on stock block with proper tuning and stuff. The transmission is on the edge around that area as well, so most people will swap to something like a 350Z transmission.

People are managing to make similar power numbers with the FA20 motor on stock internals. Instead of spending 10K+ to put a 300ish hp 20 year old motor into the car, maybe spend the same amount to build and turbo the FA and beef up the trans/rear end?

Once the SR is in the car, you'll still have to make the modifications necessary to make 400hp out of it. You're looking at: injectors, headgasket, studs, manifold, turbo, additional tuning etc etc and the list goes on. So you'll probably be in another 10k afterwards to make that 400hp mark on the SR after you've spend the initial amount just go get it in.

The 1JZ VVTi motor is actually about the same as the SR, though the transmission is more expensive (also MUCH stronger) and can be built up to around 500hp without even needing to crack the motor open. You could spend a similar amount of an SR swap and have a 1JZ instead. Bolt it in, add a few small bits, and you've got a car that's making over 300whp with ease.

Not the most cost effective thing in the world but another option to consider. If I were going to do any engine swap on this car, it would be a VVTi 1JZ.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:02 PM   #76
TylerLieberman

To build off of what @ptuning mentioned, if I were going to go with any 4 cylinder engine and didn't care so much about cost, I would go with the engine out of the recent Scion TC.

If you look up the article on Aasbo's motor, it's SUPER light. Very responsive, and VERY FAST. I imagine joining that with a solid drivetrain would be a killer choice. I know Tony Angelo did it with his FD car (not that he makes it far enough into competition to even show what it can do), and everything I've seen thus far of those engines when properly built has been pretty awesome to say the least.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:07 AM   #77
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
As much as I love the SR20, I would just opt for a VVTi 1JZ swap.

Stock SR motors have been proven to take around 400hp on stock block with proper tuning and stuff. The transmission is on the edge around that area as well, so most people will swap to something like a 350Z transmission.

People are managing to make similar power numbers with the FA20 motor on stock internals. Instead of spending 10K+ to put a 300ish hp 20 year old motor into the car, maybe spend the same amount to build and turbo the FA and beef up the trans/rear end?

Once the SR is in the car, you'll still have to make the modifications necessary to make 400hp out of it. You're looking at: injectors, headgasket, studs, manifold, turbo, additional tuning etc etc and the list goes on. So you'll probably be in another 10k afterwards to make that 400hp mark on the SR after you've spend the initial amount just go get it in.

The 1JZ VVTi motor is actually about the same as the SR, though the transmission is more expensive (also MUCH stronger) and can be built up to around 500hp without even needing to crack the motor open. You could spend a similar amount of an SR swap and have a 1JZ instead. Bolt it in, add a few small bits, and you've got a car that's making over 300whp with ease.

Not the most cost effective thing in the world but another option to consider. If I were going to do any engine swap on this car, it would be a VVTi 1JZ.

Why waste your time on a 1JZ when you can have a 2JZ...
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 04:56 AM   #78
TylerLieberman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
Why waste your time on a 1JZ when you can have a 2JZ...
if you're wanting 600+whp and are willing to spend the few extra grand for the motor sure.

350-400whp is ample for this car and easily attainable with the 1JZ. Most people look past these motors and it makes me laugh.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:45 AM   #79
slicktop

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS 2JZ-GTE/V160 swapped
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
if you're wanting 600+whp and are willing to spend the few extra grand for the motor sure.

350-400whp is ample for this car and easily attainable with the 1JZ. Most people look past these motors and it makes me laugh.

The 1JZ is a badass motor. I have to agree with this, I loved it in my Chaser.
slicktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:06 AM   #80
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Depends where you are, but a 2JZ isn't much more expensive in the states as supply of cheap 1JZ front cuts has all but dried up. Hell, if you got 2JZ-GE/T it's even cheaper...
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Poodles For This Useful Post:
Koa (03-15-2015)
Old 03-15-2015, 02:02 PM   #81
Driven85

Drives: 2015 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefitz View Post
Seems to be how everything starts.

Says the guy that wants to spend the cost of his car on an engine swap that'll make 250whp before requiring more $$ to be thrown at it.

You only ever hear about the bad experiences. No one goes on and on about the good. Not to mention these are word of mouth 'experiences' according to you.

If you can do an SR20 swap for less than 6k without any experience in engine swapping, you might be able to cure aids and solve world hunger as well.
i had a good chuckle.
Driven85 is offline   Reply With Quote