follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 01-21-2015, 03:45 PM   #15
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2004 Toyota Coroll
Thanked 1,363 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxscaxx View Post
you are right, you don't NEED them. But it will look quite silly with those fenders on there without wide wheels.

There is nothing wrong with buying the kit and saving up to purchase other parts to go along with it.

Something to think about, make sure you want to do this 100%. If you think you will not keep the car for very long don't bother. Once you cut that car up say goodbye to ever getting rid of it without a private party buying it and it will be an even smaller market at that for those who personally like the look.
I feel like you do need coils to fit the kind of wheels you want to fit, wide wheels would hit the OEM suspension components.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:43 PM   #16
IDFWU 420
Honarary Member

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hey OP, instead of spending 15k on cosmetics. Why not get a supercharger? Then after that, get coils and wheels and your car will stand out alot plus a header and exhaust. 15k on just a cosmetic kit is too ridiculous much imo but if youre aiming for how cool your car looks then by all means go for it. :p
IDFWU 420 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IDFWU 420 For This Useful Post:
Celica00 (01-21-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 10:16 PM   #17
Celica00

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDFWU 420 View Post
Hey OP, instead of spending 15k on cosmetics. Why not get a supercharger? Then after that, get coils and wheels and your car will stand out alot plus a header and exhaust. 15k on just a cosmetic kit is too ridiculous much imo but if youre aiming for how cool your car looks then by all means go for it. :p

Very good point. Even if you are only aiming to make it look cool, you can do a lot for way less than 15k. Yeah the RB curb appeal is 10/10 but 5k in aesthetics could land you a 9/10 if not a 10/10 as well.

As for performance, if that interests you, refer to what IDFWU said. I'd personally respect an FRS w/ 15k on performance mods more than aesthetics anyways.
Celica00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:37 AM   #18
boredom.is.me
Custom User Title

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Thanked 1,182 Times in 697 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
Great breakdown ska.. added to the final warning . Aftermarket parts do not always reduce the value of the vehicle- this is not to be confused with the ability to break even or come out in the positive from these outlays
Yes, but in this case, you are cutting the car up, literally. Exterior doesn't mean much, but if the core is destroyed, I would think that that would have quite an impact. After all, replacing the quarter panels is around 5k (with labor) per side. (Vague number as I do not remember exactly, but you get my drift.)
Old 01-22-2015, 09:01 AM   #19
xrinnenganx

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDFWU 420 View Post
I was thinking about that too! The only thing is, is that I hear stories of people who get lucky and never have problems with their engine, and then the ones who get a blown engine a few thousand miles down the line :/
Are there any just bolt on kits that can be taken off easily?
xrinnenganx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:13 AM   #20
adamg

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrinnenganx View Post
I was thinking about that too! The only thing is, is that I hear stories of people who get lucky and never have problems with their engine, and then the ones who get a blown engine a few thousand miles down the line :/
Are there any just bolt on kits that can be taken off easily?
you chose the right forum, do a little research and you can figure it all out
adamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:02 PM   #21
TylerLieberman

Drives: '20 Hakone 86
Thanked 3,333 Times in 1,571 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
There's loads of information out there regarding the topic. While some people choose to not be productive in their responses, the fact is the answer to your questions are out there and can be found with a bit of searching. While I don't personally have one, by best friend here does and I've helped him nuermous times with parts and the build aspect for the car.

In regards to your questions:

1-How much did it all cost you in the end? So like, how much did you pay for your kit, paint, install etc.?

For the entire kit with the wing (Fenders, skirts, lip, diffuser, GT wing), you're looking at about $4,600-$5,000 depending on who you buy it from and assuming you're buying authentic products and not replica items. As far as everything else, it depends on who you take it to for paint and installation. Install is relatively easy and can be done without much hassle if you have a helping hand. There are threads and info regarding how to cut and install the kit. There's even a template to you to determine where to cut the original fenders/quarter panels. If you can manage to do the install yourself and only require a third party to do the paint, you'll probably be in around $5,500-$6,000 from the get go; assuming who you take it to does quality work. That's also assuming you have the tools required to install the kit.

2-Do I need anything in particular with the kit when I buy it? I plan to get a new exhaust when I get the kit, but also some new rims and wheels too, but is anything else NEEDED?

Besides rivets/screws to bolt the kit on, nothing else is really NEEDED; but when I say that, that means that the kit would fit on the car without adding extra modifications. HOWEVER, you will DEFINITELY WANT to add proper size wheels (and spacers, if applicable), in addition to some type of aftermarket suspension to fill the extremely large wheel arches and some type of aftermarket exhaust to fill out the large cutouts in the rear diffuser. It's not a requirement to make the kit work, but it will look extremely awkward without it.

3-How is rear visibility with the wing? If possible, could one of you guys hop in your car and take a pic of your rear view mirror

I can't help you with this as I haven't been in one with the rear wing, but I would imagine it's not that bad. I imagine it would be similar to the likes of the OEM STI and Evo wings. While they can be seen in your rear view mirror, they don't really block a large amount of your vision out of the rear window.

4-Any place I should take it to in particular? I'm from CT, so I don't think there are too many well known body shops here

I would go into the regional section of the forums and ask in there simply because anybody who isn't from or familiar with CT will not really be able to help you. I'm from CA and currently live in OK and cannot even begin to tell you what is up there in CT, as I've never been. Hell, at this point, I'll just assume that it's a fictional place and doesn't even exist.

Just to humor you on this, I'll price out an estimate now:

-TRA Widebody w/ GT Wing: Approx $5200 (shipped price)
-Enkei RS05RR Wheels (18x10/18x10.5): Approx $2400
-245/35 & 265/35 Dunlop DZ102 Tires: Approx $850
-5x100 to 5x114 Wheel Adapters: Approx $250
-Stance SuperSport Coilovers w/ swift springs: Approx $1400
-Stance Rear Lower Control Arms: Approx $500
-Project Kics Lug Nuts: Approx $250

Just with everything listed above, you're in about $11,000. That doesn't included costs for installation or paint if you have somebody else do it. For me, I'd install myself and I have a friend who paints so I'm covered. I simply pay for supplies which is a few hundred bucks.

Keep in mind this is just an estimate and the overall cost can be higher or lower. You can buy more or less expensive wheels, tires, suspension components, lug nuts etc.; but the fact is that the Rocket Bunny route as a whole is going to run you around $10,000 total for authentic items.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
xrinnenganx (01-23-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 10:56 AM   #22
xrinnenganx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
There's loads of information out there regarding the topic. While some people choose to not be productive in their responses, the fact is the answer to your questions are out there and can be found with a bit of searching. While I don't personally have one, by best friend here does and I've helped him nuermous times with parts and the build aspect for the car.

In regards to your questions:

1-How much did it all cost you in the end? So like, how much did you pay for your kit, paint, install etc.?

For the entire kit with the wing (Fenders, skirts, lip, diffuser, GT wing), you're looking at about $4,600-$5,000 depending on who you buy it from and assuming you're buying authentic products and not replica items. As far as everything else, it depends on who you take it to for paint and installation. Install is relatively easy and can be done without much hassle if you have a helping hand. There are threads and info regarding how to cut and install the kit. There's even a template to you to determine where to cut the original fenders/quarter panels. If you can manage to do the install yourself and only require a third party to do the paint, you'll probably be in around $5,500-$6,000 from the get go; assuming who you take it to does quality work. That's also assuming you have the tools required to install the kit.

2-Do I need anything in particular with the kit when I buy it? I plan to get a new exhaust when I get the kit, but also some new rims and wheels too, but is anything else NEEDED?

Besides rivets/screws to bolt the kit on, nothing else is really NEEDED; but when I say that, that means that the kit would fit on the car without adding extra modifications. HOWEVER, you will DEFINITELY WANT to add proper size wheels (and spacers, if applicable), in addition to some type of aftermarket suspension to fill the extremely large wheel arches and some type of aftermarket exhaust to fill out the large cutouts in the rear diffuser. It's not a requirement to make the kit work, but it will look extremely awkward without it.

3-How is rear visibility with the wing? If possible, could one of you guys hop in your car and take a pic of your rear view mirror

I can't help you with this as I haven't been in one with the rear wing, but I would imagine it's not that bad. I imagine it would be similar to the likes of the OEM STI and Evo wings. While they can be seen in your rear view mirror, they don't really block a large amount of your vision out of the rear window.

4-Any place I should take it to in particular? I'm from CT, so I don't think there are too many well known body shops here

I would go into the regional section of the forums and ask in there simply because anybody who isn't from or familiar with CT will not really be able to help you. I'm from CA and currently live in OK and cannot even begin to tell you what is up there in CT, as I've never been. Hell, at this point, I'll just assume that it's a fictional place and doesn't even exist.

Just to humor you on this, I'll price out an estimate now:

-TRA Widebody w/ GT Wing: Approx $5200 (shipped price)
-Enkei RS05RR Wheels (18x10/18x10.5): Approx $2400
-245/35 & 265/35 Dunlop DZ102 Tires: Approx $850
-5x100 to 5x114 Wheel Adapters: Approx $250
-Stance SuperSport Coilovers w/ swift springs: Approx $1400
-Stance Rear Lower Control Arms: Approx $500
-Project Kics Lug Nuts: Approx $250

Just with everything listed above, you're in about $11,000. That doesn't included costs for installation or paint if you have somebody else do it. For me, I'd install myself and I have a friend who paints so I'm covered. I simply pay for supplies which is a few hundred bucks.

Keep in mind this is just an estimate and the overall cost can be higher or lower. You can buy more or less expensive wheels, tires, suspension components, lug nuts etc.; but the fact is that the Rocket Bunny route as a whole is going to run you around $10,000 total for authentic items.
Thank you very much for your reply!! Definitely a helpful post man! The only thing I have to ask from your post is that, you say I'd need screws or rivets for the body kit (obviously) but does the kit not actually come with those to properly mount them?

I've already accepted the fact that this is going to cost me more than I had planned, so it's a good thing I asked you guys! Guess I'll just have to do a little more saving until I have enough money

Last edited by xrinnenganx; 01-23-2015 at 10:57 AM. Reason: More detail
Old 01-23-2015, 11:12 AM   #23
cameronjones239

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series Blue
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Just out of curiosity, how much more money are we talking to have that kit molded into the body?
cameronjones239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:32 PM   #24
TylerLieberman

Drives: '20 Hakone 86
Thanked 3,333 Times in 1,571 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronjones239 View Post
Just out of curiosity, how much more money are we talking to have that kit molded into the body?
Again, largely dependent on where you go and the quality of work that's being done.

To have all of the work and paint done at a shop who does extremely high quality work, I wouldn't be surprised if you're in another few thousand dollars simply because once it's all molded in and ready, pretty much the entire car will need to be repainted.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
cameronjones239 (01-23-2015), SkAsphalt (01-26-2015)
Old 01-25-2015, 04:32 PM   #25
Celigts

Drives: 2014 Toyota FRS
Garage
I have the Aimgain front/rear/sides/spoiler and Greddy v1 fenders...

heres the math so far...

Kit - $4500 shipped (4 month wait)

Paint/Install - $3000

Skunk2 Coilovers - $1100
Stance LCA - $500

Wheels - $1800
Tires - $800
Lug nuts - $150

You'll need either
Spacers - $400
OR
Hub Conversion - $750
Brakes/rotors - $2000

So unless you're getting a PHAT tax return...don't do it...
ORRRRR ... do it in stages...

I still need to paint/install the widebody Greddy v1 fenders, they're just sitting in my garage...switch out the rims...buy spacers ( or go hub conversion I'm torn on which to do at the moment ) So...that's another 5k job. Currently saving
Celigts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Celigts For This Useful Post:
SkAsphalt (01-26-2015), xrinnenganx (01-26-2015)
Old 01-26-2015, 12:05 PM   #26
xrinnenganx

Thanks for the response man! I was thinking of doing it in stages too haha I'll buy everything else first before the body kit and do the body kit last so I don't have to drop ~15k all at once haha
Old 01-26-2015, 12:15 PM   #27
vividracing

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,065 Times in 617 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
The RB kit is in stock in the US right now so no wait time. Im AZ local and watched my friend James build his up. It starts to all add up quick but looks great when finished.
vividracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:52 AM   #28
murselyfe

Drives: It's black.
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrinnenganx View Post
Sup guys! I had a few questions for those of you with the RB V1 kit! With tax returns coming in soon I'm hoping to buy the kit with that money

Anyways, hopefully some of you guys can answer these questions for me!

If you want to PM me, I can disclose details on my particular costs.

The RB rear diffuser will swallow the stock exhaust. Highly recommended you get a new exhaust, at least catback.

Suspension will be a must. Coilovers with rear adjustable arms, whether upper or lower.

Proper rims/tires are a must. I'm running a 5x114.3 setup with very aggressive offsets. Additionally, depending on your fitment, you may have to toy with shaving down the RB fenders to maximize clearance and minimize any rubbing. I kept the widths within reason, seeing as I'm not putting out ridiculous amounts of power anyways. TREAD WIDTH ISNT EVERYTHING. Sometimes, track width > tread width.

The rear visibility is not bad at all. Just as @TylerLieberman stated, similar to an STi / Evo in terms of obstruction.

I think there is an RB rolling around CT... his IG is garrettjarboe IIRC. He might be a helpful source of information.

That's pretty much all the questions I got for now, so if anyone could answer these for me, I'd greatly appreciate it! Thank you!

PM me if you have further questions, I know members can be abrasive.
xrinnenganx (02-03-2015)