follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-31-2022, 05:48 AM   #15
Leviticus Ezra

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/Performance Package
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Maybe because those are not particularly problematic even above your power level and you would be better off saving for something more pressing like a built block and a cd09
This is true, it would be beneficial to take that money spent upgrading the stock components and putting it aside for the larger ones to come. Both of which sound way better instead of having to worry about stock components all the time
Leviticus Ezra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 07:24 AM   #16
Leviticus Ezra

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
i dunno, part of me likes the mindset that the best method for dealing with a guaranteed driveline failure is to pick a failure point that's easiest to replace.

trans sucks to get to, as does the drive shaft, and rear diff. but then the half shafts i believe could be mostly changed with a single floor jack/jack stand and a nice comfy knee pad. so if i've got to choose a failure mode, my choice is the half shafts for ease of access. YMMV.
Alright, I can see the methodology behind that. My goal is to knock out as much as possible while the cars up the first time around. So I'm not having to constantly put it on jack stands. Doing any work on the drivetrain has appeared to be quite intimidating. But I'm willing to put up a fight doing all of which with the resources that I have (Puny Jack stands). Doing the half shafts first though would not be a terrible idea as it most likely is the easier of the bunch and more prone to failure than the rest of the drivetrain?
Old 01-31-2022, 07:34 AM   #17
Leviticus Ezra

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReplicant View Post
The trans is iffy well before that power wise if you've got grip.
The car still has some serious grip. The power delivery is very linear though, there's really no drastic spike in torque. I know that these transmissions are fragile, but I've heard they're good for 400hp. I know you don't really use HP when talking about a transmission but I'm well under that mark, and am sitting around 250 ft lb which I thought was fairly reasonable for these transmissions? Pushing it, but reasonable
Old 01-31-2022, 11:13 AM   #18
RedReplicant

Drives: None
Thanked 1,209 Times in 515 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviticus Ezra View Post
The car still has some serious grip. The power delivery is very linear though, there's really no drastic spike in torque. I know that these transmissions are fragile, but I've heard they're good for 400hp. I know you don't really use HP when talking about a transmission but I'm well under that mark, and am sitting around 250 ft lb which I thought was fairly reasonable for these transmissions? Pushing it, but reasonable
Perhaps, I'll just tell you that I popped one with 330whp / 240ftlb.
Old 01-31-2022, 12:02 PM   #19
Leviticus Ezra

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReplicant View Post
Perhaps, I'll just tell you that I popped one with 330whp / 240ftlb.
No kidding...
Old 01-31-2022, 01:35 PM   #20
Poogchomp

Drives: Chevrolet Ram 250
The transmission is rated at 210ftlb and it's most likely at the crank. Your 250 ftlb is being measured at the wheels so the crank out put is higher. Interpret that however you want.

My advice would be to lower your boost so that you're not worrying about blowing up your transmission or bending a rod until you can address those issues.
Old 01-31-2022, 02:11 PM   #21
Leviticus Ezra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poogchomp View Post
The transmission is rated at 210ftlb and it's most likely at the crank. Your 250 ftlb is being measured at the wheels so the crank out put is higher. Interpret that however you want.

My advice would be to lower your boost so that you're not worrying about blowing up your transmission or bending a rod until you can address those issues.
That's what I'm trying to do right now, is address the issues that are to come. I posted here in hopes of receiving valuable information in regards to strengthening the stock transmission and making it handle these power figures. I'd like to know what you all have tried in order to make this possible, and if there are things that I should avoid, or an upgrade that's worth doing before another. Trying to get the vast majority of ideas out of the way so I can start considering what's going to be the best route to take for my current setup and plans.
Old 01-31-2022, 02:31 PM   #22
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
That's what I'm trying to do right now, is address the issues that are to come. I posted here in hopes of receiving valuable information in regards to strengthening the stock transmission and making it handle these power figures. I'd like to know what you all have tried in order to make this possible, and if there are things that I should avoid, or an upgrade that's worth doing before another. Trying to get the vast majority of ideas out of the way so I can start considering what's going to be the best route to take for my current setup and plans.
I mean this in a nice way but a lot of these solutions have been out for a while so when this question gets asked about once a month it gets old and you get these short suggestive answers. Google it. Call jacks transmissions and tell them what your goals are, or look for a CD09 swap. The driveshaft is not a weak point in the drivetrain and if you elect for a CD09 swap it would be a moot point to swap it for a CF shaft anyway. The CV's are going to start to be problematic at the power levels you are wanting to achieve, but they are not the lit fuse your engine and trans are. What other supporting mods do you have? What is the intended goal of the car? You need to provide more detail if you want detailed answers.
Old 01-31-2022, 03:00 PM   #23
Leviticus Ezra

Quote:
I mean this in a nice way but a lot of these solutions have been out for a while so when this question gets asked about once a month it gets old and you get these short suggestive answers. Google it. Call jacks transmissions and tell them what your goals are, or look for a CD09 swap. The driveshaft is not a weak point in the drivetrain and if you elect for a CD09 swap it would be a moot point to swap it for a CF shaft anyway. The CV's are going to start to be problematic at the power levels you are wanting to achieve, but they are not the lit fuse your engine and trans are. What other supporting mods do you have? What is the intended goal of the car? You need to provide more detail if you want detailed answers.
I've spent countless amounts of hours, maybe even days at this point researching everything I possibly can for this car. I apologize for asking a question that gets asked quite frequently, I should have been more specific. I've looked into the CD09 swap. But it's just not the route I'm trying to take at the moment. I'm trying to do more bolt on mods oppose to DIY mods if that makes sense. It's a relatively newer car and I would like to do as little hacking as possible. Until it really needs to happen. I've read that people snap CV's like their twigs, it's an upgrade that's definitely coming soon. I know that these engines are ticking time bombs once under boost, I wouldn't have installed the turbo if I didn't want that to happen. I have a few supporting mods such as engine mounts, oil cooler, performance radiator and fans, silicone coolant hoses, stiffer trans mount, dual catch cans and I think that's about it. The intended goal is to eventually track the car reliably, be able to hit the streets and have some fun without having the constant paranoia of something (other than my engine) exploding.
Old 01-31-2022, 03:08 PM   #24
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I've spent countless amounts of hours, maybe even days at this point researching everything I possibly can for this car. I apologize for asking a question that gets asked quite frequently, I should have been more specific. I've looked into the CD09 swap. But it's just not the route I'm trying to take at the moment. I'm trying to do more bolt on mods oppose to DIY mods if that makes sense. It's a relatively newer car and I would like to do as little hacking as possible. Until it really needs to happen. I've read that people snap CV's like their twigs, it's an upgrade that's definitely coming soon. I know that these engines are ticking time bombs once under boost, I wouldn't have installed the turbo if I didn't want that to happen. I have a few supporting mods such as engine mounts, oil cooler, performance radiator and fans, silicone coolant hoses, stiffer trans mount, dual catch cans and I think that's about it. The intended goal is to eventually track the car reliably, be able to hit the streets and have some fun without having the constant paranoia of something (other than my engine) exploding.
Who's telling you CV's snap like twigs? The joint fails but it is not super common. Even NA tracking the car regularly servicing the CV's is something you have to do as the factory grease is poor and the exhaust runs right under the left side boot at the diff and the heat is hard on that one in particular. Lowering the car also puts more strain on the CV's so there may be more factors going on with guys who have "snaped a cv like a twig" then just the power they are making. I always bring a spare to the track.

Jacks Transmissions has upgrades that are well detailed, but it is about the same price if not more expensive then doing a cd09. Who knows how long they will last under the power you plan on making.

Edit: I keep a spare trans on hand even NA because I track my car. The syncro's are flimsy and they can be had for 400-600.

Last edited by NoHaveMSG; 01-31-2022 at 04:49 PM.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoHaveMSG For This Useful Post:
Poogchomp (01-31-2022), Tcoat (01-31-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 07:18 PM   #25
Leviticus Ezra

Quote:
Who's telling you CV's snap like twigs? The joint fails but it is not super common. Even NA tracking the car regularly servicing the CV's is something you have to do as the factory grease is poor and the exhaust runs right under the left side boot at the diff and the heat is hard on that one in particular. Lowering the car also puts more strain on the CV's so there may be more factors going on with guys who have "snaped a cv like a twig" then just the power they are making. I always bring a spare to the track.

Jacks Transmissions has upgrades that are well detailed, but it is about the same price if not more expensive then doing a cd09. Who knows how long they will last under the power you plan on making.

Edit: I keep a spare trans on hand even NA because I track my car. The syncro's are flimsy and they can be had for 400-600.
Everything else I've read and seen says the CV's a more susceptiple to damage oppose to the transmission. I've seen they need grease and sometimes boot replacements. I didn't however consider lowering the car could add additional stress to them, which is most certainly good to know. I stumbled across Jacks Transmissions as they seem to have one of the better selections for transmission internals, but I'm on the teeter of messing with the trans internally. Eventually I plan on making 450+hp as reliably and effective as possible, but that would be on a built motor, then I'd do a CD09 swap. A spare even when NA? Makes me consider the same option to see if the stock one can handle what I'm trying to do for now. Then a spare to build to see if it's any worth and or can handle the added power any better? From my understnding a new/used stock trans is regularly cheap? I saw a couple syncro options, but would you recommend Jacks Trans oppose to anyone else?
Old 02-10-2022, 01:43 AM   #26
grumpysnapper

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I'm still on the original gearbox with a maxed Harrop S/C and a built engine, e85 etc.

I'm sure it will let go at some point, but as others (and you) have said, treating the gearbox with respect does help a great deal in getting as much life out of it as possible.

I also dont chase huge grip, so the tyres can act as a driveline "fuse" to some extent.

When the box does die, I'll just replace it with a low use secondhand unit.

I also went with uprated CV's, clutch and engine mounts.

But I really do think that the basic "basics" are super important as you modify for performance:
* thoroughly warm the car up before use
* reguarly change fluids (and only top quality fluids)
* drive hard but always with mechanical sympathy
* constantly open the hood, crawl under the car and listen to her.

** and make sure the rest of the car is dynamically up to scratch for your power increases.
grumpysnapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 04:29 PM   #27
RippedManiac
Jedi

Drives: Pikachu BRZ
Quote:
Theres a private FB group called "86/FR-S/BRZ Forced Induction and Technical Discussion"

Try there unless you're already on. Gl hf.
RippedManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 05:56 PM   #28
e_lunatic

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Garage
a lot of the drivetrain shock can come down to tires. if you have the ghetto Prius tires on it it's not going to grip enough to do any damage. if you have some good tires on it you will run into issues
e_lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drivetrain, reliability, suspension, track, turbo