follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 03-17-2020, 02:03 AM   #1
JR23

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thoughts on Air Cups for Coilovers?

Hello, I was just wondering on your guys take on Air Cups for some coilovers? Only reason I don't fully commit to bags is because I prefer how coilovers compared to bags.

Yet I don't know much information on Air Cups and how they are in terms of safety, long term, pro's/con's ETC. I was wondering if anyone that has had previous experience or is knowledgeable can fill me in if they are worth getting or not.

Thank you for your time!
JR23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 10:29 AM   #2
vagthomas

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR23 View Post
Hello, I was just wondering on your guys take on Air Cups for some coilovers? Only reason I don't fully commit to bags is because I prefer how coilovers compared to bags.

Yet I don't know much information on Air Cups and how they are in terms of safety, long term, pro's/con's ETC. I was wondering if anyone that has had previous experience or is knowledgeable can fill me in if they are worth getting or not.

Thank you for your time!
I have installed the air caps from stance parts on my tein flex A. I am lowered about 2.5 cm and it is actually a great tool to enter my underground parking with such big inclination.

No any quality issues so far, actually I am very satisfied on how they perform. I havethem almost one year and use them at least twice a day!
They do not affect the performance whatsoever, but they are only to overcome obstacles. When you are lifted, actually the springs are quite pre-tensioned therefore riding is not possible (its like sitting on rocks).

They can lift your car up to 4 cm, BUT... in case you want to take advantage of all the lowering capacity of your coilovers, you lose some of the lifting capability (instead of 4 cm, you can lift around 2.5cm).
On the other hand, if you want take advantage of all the lifting capability of the air caps, then you cannot take the maximum lowering gains of your coilovers (i.e. instead of max 5 cm, the max would be 3-3.5).

Everything is included on their site.

https://www.stanceparts.com/fitment/

I also include some photos for your reference.
Attached Images

vagthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vagthomas For This Useful Post:
Kiske (04-16-2020), norcalpb (04-20-2020), soundman98 (04-13-2020)
Old 04-15-2020, 03:26 AM   #3
JR23

Drives: 2015 FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagthomas View Post
I have installed the air caps from stance parts on my tein flex A. I am lowered about 2.5 cm and it is actually a great tool to enter my underground parking with such big inclination.

No any quality issues so far, actually I am very satisfied on how they perform. I havethem almost one year and use them at least twice a day!
They do not affect the performance whatsoever, but they are only to overcome obstacles. When you are lifted, actually the springs are quite pre-tensioned therefore riding is not possible (its like sitting on rocks).

They can lift your car up to 4 cm, BUT... in case you want to take advantage of all the lowering capacity of your coilovers, you lose some of the lifting capability (instead of 4 cm, you can lift around 2.5cm).
On the other hand, if you want take advantage of all the lifting capability of the air caps, then you cannot take the maximum lowering gains of your coilovers (i.e. instead of max 5 cm, the max would be 3-3.5).

Thank you so much for your response! You gave me alot of info on getting air cups and i appreciate it!

Now i have to say your set up looks amazing man! Those switches look sick! Where did you get them? I would like to have a similar set up to yours in terms of the switches!

So im currently running Tein Flex Z's and i was wondering if these are about the same as the Flex A's as far as installing the Air Cups?

My only concern is installing the whole system is there any guide out there for installing it? I've installed my coilovers and that was pretty easy for me but I dont know much about preload and I dont know if i need to mess with that when im installing the Air Cups etc.

Also did you install the air cups on both the front and the rears? Is it worth installing both or just getting the fronts only?

Thank you for your info i really appreciate it!
JR23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 05:23 AM   #4
vagthomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR23 View Post
Thank you so much for your response! You gave me alot of info on getting air cups and i appreciate it!

Now i have to say your set up looks amazing man! Those switches look sick! Where did you get them? I would like to have a similar set up to yours in terms of the switches!

So im currently running Tein Flex Z's and i was wondering if these are about the same as the Flex A's as far as installing the Air Cups?

My only concern is installing the whole system is there any guide out there for installing it? I've installed my coilovers and that was pretty easy for me but I dont know much about preload and I dont know if i need to mess with that when im installing the Air Cups etc.

Also did you install the air cups on both the front and the rears? Is it worth installing both or just getting the fronts only?

Thank you for your info i really appreciate it!

Thanks for your nice words .

The switches just took them from local market. It was nothing difficult. If you go to any shop with electrical or automotive material with a picture (you could take mine) they will definitely find something similar.

As far as I know, flex z and flex a are the same in terms of fitting. I believe also their external dimensions are the same. If you look at the site of stanceparts you will see what info they will need to order. Nothing difficult.

Installing only the fwd air caps is easier than installing both fwd and rear. In any case, you will not have to drill anything on the chassis. All air hoses can pass from existing holes (many holes exist there for this exact reason :-) )

If you are planning to enter only in inclined parking area, then you can install only the fwd ones (but you will have to enter and exit with your nose). If you want to enter with your tail, then aft ones should be also considered, especially if you have any bodykit installed and together with your coilovers the total distance from ground gets significantly decreased.

If you are passing any big humps, where your car's center will be suspicious whether will touch the ground or not, especially if you have any bodykit, then both fwd and aft air caps should be considered to install.

If you have not any bodykit installed and considering a 2-3 cm lowering from your coilovers, I believe installation of the fwd air caps only will cover all above cases and aft ones are not needed.

Thats all I can think of now from my experience so far. If you need any further info, just tell me. I also have some pictures of where I installed the air bottle inside the trunk. I will try to find them and show you.

Other than that, I am totally satisfied and recommend them without any doubt
Old 04-16-2020, 08:28 PM   #5
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagthomas View Post

Did you by chance have the coilover on the car prior to installing of the air cups? I'm curious if you noticed a difference in the ride when they aren't in use.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:34 PM   #6
vagthomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiske View Post
Did you by chance have the coilover on the car prior to installing of the air cups? I'm curious if you noticed a difference in the ride when they aren't in use.
No I did not, but I can tell you for sure that they do not affect the ride at all.
Better than me to explain this is their site where they present their operating principle and installation:

Στάλθηκε από το CLT-L29 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to vagthomas For This Useful Post:
Kiske (04-17-2020)
Old 01-31-2023, 02:37 PM   #7
MrDonTuan

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
I'm planning to get these for my coilovers, what was the measurement on your shaft diameter?
MrDonTuan is offline   Reply With Quote