follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 01-11-2023, 11:08 AM   #29
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,240 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post
Oh it's even better. The camera's randomly don't record shit for hours.
No idea why. Internet is fine. Tried resetting it just incase, but no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
That happened to us for a few months actually, I would reset the internet and nothing. One day, it suddenly worked again and it has been for a while.
I had a Ring Pro for a bit over a year, then my mom gave us a Pro 2 a year ago xmas. I've never experienced these problems.

Btw, the upgrade from pro to pro 2 wasn't much. It has a taller view, so I can look almost straight down to see packages, and you can make talk when it sees things, but if I was buying, I would have just stayed with the pro.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 08:31 AM   #30
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Just to be clear this was their Security Cameras not their doorbell ones.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 07:59 PM   #31
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
My Galaxy S9 Note are starting to glitch and sometimes touchscreen unresponsive... which phone is worth to upgrade without getting $1k + ?
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 06:37 AM   #32
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
My Galaxy S9 Note are starting to glitch and sometimes touchscreen unresponsive... which phone is worth to upgrade without getting $1k + ?
Just got a Pixel 7
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to x808drifter For This Useful Post:
Teseo (02-07-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 09:49 AM   #33
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,938 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Just got a Pixel 7
I think about upgrading then I remember my Pixel 2XL still works great, and has a battery life approaching 36 hours or better even after all this time.

Likely I won't buy a new one until critical apps stop working. Hasn't been an issue so far.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Teseo (02-07-2023), x808drifter (02-09-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 10:44 AM   #34
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
I've had the Samsung Flip 3 z for over a year. I don't use it much and the screen is just starting to develop little wrinkle/cracks in the center. Speaker and camera are worse than s9+ but the battery life is great. Really love the phone but folding tech just isn't there yet... I'll probably get Samsung to replace the screen, even at my expense.
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (02-06-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 05:47 PM   #35
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I think about upgrading then I remember my Pixel 2XL still works great, and has a battery life approaching 36 hours or better even after all this time.

Likely I won't buy a new one until critical apps stop working. Hasn't been an issue so far.
I’ve had Motorolas, pixels, and Samsungs. With the exception of my last Moto, all have barely outlived their warranties. Even when they worked a lot of the apps were glitchy. I attribute it to the quasi open source nature of android and phone makers trying to meet a specific price point and squeezing the margins too tightly.

As much as I detest Apple, it appears that single sourcing the OS and maintaining some degree of control over app development has benefits.
Old 02-07-2023, 06:58 PM   #36
pope
has a funny hat

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
I've had good luck with my Ring pro 2. There is a simple setting you can click so it will only notify you when movement is recognized as people. I don't use it since I want to know if there is a car coming into the driveway, or a badger in my front yard. I do have cats, squirrels, bunnies, and birds set it off. I figure if it's that sensitive, that's a good thing. It's doing its job. It only takes a second to look at the alert on my phone, see the squirrel, and delete the alert.
Quote:
Oh it's even better. The camera's randomly don't record shit for hours.
No idea why. Internet is fine. Tried resetting it just incase, but no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
That happened to us for a few months actually, I would reset the internet and nothing. One day, it suddenly worked again and it has been for a while.
When Amazon added the person detection setting it made notifications so much better. I keep the sensitivity on high to video wildlife, suspicious vehicles, and the mailbox without a constant stream of notifications, but still get alerted to people (usually just deliveries).

If the camera isn’t recording, I’d check the device health and ensure it shows a good internet connection. I have found that my phone/tablet could have an excellent connection standing next to the camera, but the camera’s connection would be hit it or miss depending on atmospheric conditions. Additionally, I have also found that my Ring cameras are not adept at coping with randomly assigned IP addresses. A router reboot would disrupt the cameras if the IPs they expected got assigned to a different device.

I solved both issues by placing a second router with an independent network near to the cameras. I’m using a channel at the opposite end of the spectrum and only have the cameras on the network and have had no recording failures since.
pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 07:02 PM   #37
gav_abr

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Sport-tech RS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Just got a Pixel 7

Despite my general distaste for mega corps like google, I think that they make the best phones. I've had both a 3A and now a 6 and I have no complaints with either. They feel high-quality and the regular Android OS is definitely my favourite mobile OS.
gav_abr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gav_abr For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (02-07-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 08:12 PM   #38
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,938 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Spaulding View Post
I’ve had Motorolas, pixels, and Samsungs. With the exception of my last Moto, all have barely outlived their warranties.
Hasn't been my experience. I had a Droid and the aforementioned Pixel. Both of more than outlived their warranties. Same with MomHawks Pixel 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gav_abr View Post
They feel high-quality and the regular Android OS is definitely my favourite mobile OS.
I definitely prefer the Pixel because it is straight Android, no "vendor crap" added on.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Spuds (02-07-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 09:39 PM   #39
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Hasn't been my experience. I had a Droid and the aforementioned Pixel. Both of more than outlived their warranties. Same with MomHawks Pixel 2.

I definitely prefer the Pixel because it is straight Android, no "vendor crap" added on.
That’s the problem with probability distributions - they have tails. In small N studies, like one person’s experience with cell phones, it’s easy to get stuck in the tails. It’s entirely possible that all but one of my Android experiences have been drawn from the portion of the quality distribution more than 2 standard deviations below the mean and have all been outliers.

Nevertheless, they have left a very bitter android aftertaste. It’ll be a while before I sample that vintage again.
Dadhawk (02-08-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 09:49 PM   #40
pope
has a funny hat

The problem with Android is it’s essential to install the monthly security update to avoid being an easy target for malicious actors wanting to steal data or create massive botnets (etc) and pretty much only Google Pixels get the monthly update. The vast majority of Android devices have never and will never receive any of the monthly patches and as such should never be connected to any data transmission service.

Compounding network and device security is that until very recently, even Google’s Pixel/Nexus devices were only supported for 2-3 years despite the average smartphone user either retaining their device for longer than this or buying formerly high end devices a few years post-release.

There’s a lot of hand waving about the “dangers” of Chinese telecom equipment and the threat of unsupported/insecure IOT devices, but the market saturation of completely insecure Android devices is a broader, harder to secure, hard to monitor for intrusion target with as large or larger capacity for causing disruption.

If service providers ever decide or are compelled to block access by unsecured devices, the market for Android will implode.

Say what you will about Apple and the iPhone, but a 7+ year support life trounces anything offered in the Android market.

I moved to iOS from Android a couple years back, after spending more than a decade in the cutting edge Android ecosystem until getting fed up with getting f****d by Google’s adhd. Despite the fisher price interface and a few api and protocol restrictions, there’s nothing about Android that will convince me to go back anytime soon. For normal people, there’s no reason to use anything but iOS.
Old 02-07-2023, 10:37 PM   #41
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pope View Post
Say what you will about Apple and the iPhone, but a 7+ year support life trounces anything offered in the Android market.
No lie about the patch problem, but I've not seen a single one of my wife's iPhones last more than 3 years... And that last 15 months is tethered to a charger.
Also I find them frustrating and borderline unusable... Like I'm being insulted every time I try.
5.5 years and counting on my LG/Android. Unpatched risk that it is,it is actually usable. Also has a great DAC and headphone amp. 3 days on a charge still. The market has nothing I'd buy at the moment.
Capt Spaulding (02-08-2023), Dadhawk (02-08-2023), Spuds (02-08-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 10:56 PM   #42
pope
has a funny hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
No lie about the patch problem, but I've not seen a single one of my wife's iPhones last more than 3 years... And that last 15 months is tethered to a charger.
I think this has more to do with the user’s battery management practices than the device. I’ve never had any phone Android, iOS, OG Flip Phones where the battery didn’t remain usable for years. My spouse (on the other hand) hasn’t had a phone that wouldn’t become tethered to a charger unless the battery was replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
Also I find them frustrating and borderline unusable... Like I'm being insulted every time I try.
That’s no lie. My spouse got a iPhone from work 4-5 years before I switched over and I wanted to pull my hair out every time I picked it up. I think it took me a solid 6mo of daily use after switching to really wrap my head around how completely opposite Apple’s architecture is vs Google’s.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pope For This Useful Post:
cjd (02-08-2023), soundman98 (02-08-2023), Teseo (02-08-2023), x808drifter (02-09-2023)