follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-04-2023, 12:43 PM   #15
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Axleback.

Everything else stock.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 01:43 PM   #16
Chezboat24
Click Here

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
I have a few clips from various setups.
Is this your video?

Was hoping you could follow up with how it sounded overall, because I wasn't able to find any follow-up video that you alluded to in the description.

I have a PLM catless header and fully stock exhaust otherwise. Have an FT86MS front pipe on the way with the intentions of getting it to sound similar to this, though I still don't have much insight on how it sounds cruising and under load.
Chezboat24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 08:21 PM   #17
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,123 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chezboat24 View Post
Is this your video?

Was hoping you could follow up with how it sounded overall, because I wasn't able to find any follow-up video that you alluded to in the description.

I have a PLM catless header and fully stock exhaust otherwise. Have an FT86MS front pipe on the way with the intentions of getting it to sound similar to this, though I still don't have much insight on how it sounds cruising and under load.
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...3&postcount=10
Third video from post earlier I have a clip with a HKS catless dual resonated vs FT86MS Catted and resonated with the stock CB.

Dual resonated had higher pitch and adds a little rasp mostly as low RPM. I liked the sound in cabin, especially with the rear seats down when you want a little extra noise.
Catted and resonated is a little deeper sounding than stock. Only had that setup about a month before switching headers.

Doesn't give you much but this clip I have HKS FP installed. If you can deal with the catless smell I liked this setup most for stock CB.

Last edited by RToyo86; 02-05-2023 at 08:35 PM.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RToyo86 For This Useful Post:
Chezboat24 (02-05-2023)
Old 02-05-2023, 11:02 PM   #18
Chezboat24
Click Here

Quote:
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...3&postcount=10
Third video from post earlier I have a clip with a HKS catless dual resonated vs FT86MS Catted and resonated with the stock CB.

Dual resonated had higher pitch and adds a little rasp mostly as low RPM. I liked the sound in cabin, especially with the rear seats down when you want a little extra noise.
Catted and resonated is a little deeper sounding than stock. Only had that setup about a month before switching headers.

Doesn't give you much but this clip I have HKS FP installed. If you can deal with the catless smell I liked this setup most for stock CB.
Thanks. Ordered a straight pipe so I'll have to decide later whether I need a resonator or not.

Did you find any notable difference between the 13-16 and 17-21 catbacks? Most of the videos I've found of similar setups to mine would suggest the 17-21 is louder (which is why I went without a res/cat) but I have nothing to verify that.
Old 02-06-2023, 05:51 AM   #19
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,123 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chezboat24 View Post
Thanks. Ordered a straight pipe so I'll have to decide later whether I need a resonator or not.

Did you find any notable difference between the 13-16 and 17-21 catbacks? Most of the videos I've found of similar setups to mine would suggest the 17-21 is louder (which is why I went without a res/cat) but I have nothing to verify that.
Didn't notice a difference to be honest. I only swapped CB to install a fujistubo axleback that fits the 13-16 midpipe.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 09:53 AM   #20
ihavefat

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PulsarBeeerz View Post
I have a JDL 4-2-1 catless manifold, JDL 3" ultra quiet catted front pipe and CSG catback. Its quieter than a Catless UEL, stock front, non-resonated and resonated 2.5" Perrin catback. Its almost stock levels of quiet.
Do you have a video ? I have the same header with stock everything else. I’m looking for something a little bit more aggressive without introducing drone

TIA!!
ihavefat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 11:18 AM   #21
Walkerkelet

Drives: Toyota Corolla
Good-what other Goods do you have to trade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Walkerkelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 12:24 PM   #22
Chezboat24
Click Here

Quote:
Didn't notice a difference to be honest. I only swapped CB to install a fujistubo axleback that fits the 13-16 midpipe.
Okay, thanks. Hopefully it’s not too obnoxious then.
Old 02-06-2023, 05:25 PM   #23
dragoontwo

Drives: 22 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkerkelet View Post
Good-what other Goods do you have to trade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have some reports for you.
dragoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dragoontwo For This Useful Post:
norcalpb (02-06-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 09:54 AM   #24
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Drives: Green '17 BRZ Sport-Tech MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

JDL 4-2-1, stock everything else (OP, FP, Catback).

TBH the stock exhaust does sound solid when paired up with a header. Has good volume outside of the car, basically sounds stock inside the car. If you do like a bit of a deeper tone that's where you lose out with the stock catback.

However, it's all a balance. The deep tone sounds good, but it drones! I had the Invidia R400 on my car for many years and loved the way it sounded in almost every driving situation, save for the 75-80mph highway sweet spot where it droned like hell. I could manage ok then, but for the last few years, not so much. My driving is almost 100% highway these days, and I'm 6 years older than I was when I got it so I seem to get headaches easier now lol. The drone when combined with the header became too much for me - I sold the R400 in the fall and put the stock catback back on.

If anything, I may pick up the Fujitsubo Authorise S (or another mild axleback, can't seem to find much for the 17+ though) to re introduce a bit of tone, but I can't quite justify it yet.
Old 02-07-2023, 11:19 AM   #25
ihavefat

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBezugs View Post

JDL 4-2-1, stock everything else (OP, FP, Catback).

TBH the stock exhaust does sound solid when paired up with a header. Has good volume outside of the car, basically sounds stock inside the car. If you do like a bit of a deeper tone that's where you lose out with the stock catback.

However, it's all a balance. The deep tone sounds good, but it drones! I had the Invidia R400 on my car for many years and loved the way it sounded in almost every driving situation, save for the 75-80mph highway sweet spot where it droned like hell. I could manage ok then, but for the last few years, not so much. My driving is almost 100% highway these days, and I'm 6 years older than I was when I got it so I seem to get headaches easier now lol. The drone when combined with the header became too much for me - I sold the R400 in the fall and put the stock catback back on.

If anything, I may pick up the Fujitsubo Authorise S (or another mild axleback, can't seem to find much for the 17+ though) to re introduce a bit of tone, but I can't quite justify it yet.

I’m on the exact same boat. I love how quiet and drone free it is with the JDL 4 2 1 with the rest stock, but it’s hard to hear the car when you have a helmet on or if you are doing any high speed driving with the windows down.

I genuinely considered r400 after seeing your videos but decided against it in case it was too loud (plus it seemed like it droned).
ihavefat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 09:40 PM   #26
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ SOLD
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihavefat View Post
Do you have a video ? I have the same header with stock everything else. I’m looking for something a little bit more aggressive without introducing drone

TIA!!
I'll try to video one this weekend. tbh If your goal is to be able to hear it with a helmet on and windows down... I can hardly hear it with the windows down even in spirited driving. I'm actually going to sell it soon because its too quiet, even for a street car. The tone is very muted to almost OEM levels and zero character. So yeah its quiet.
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote