follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 12-14-2022, 08:50 PM   #43
Blighty

Drives: WR Blue Pearl 2022 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBMotorsport View Post
Our dyno has a process that determines parasitic losses. We haven't done it on a Gen 2 yet (we just used Gen 1 values), but my assumption is that it should give accurate engine output data comparative to wheel power figures. Although, while that scale may be accurate on OUR dyno, no two dynos are the same.
I can see one way there is some 'to high' reporting. And it probably related more to the old car being over reported in power.

Imagine this scenario. Lets say in the past, people were trying to get their dyno process set-up so that the stock car would report as close to 170hp as possible. You know adjusted ramp time and all the other things to come to a point where the average 86/BRZ was showing as close to the expected drop in chassis hp. 200 down to 170. Seems like a fair target in theory, though I get the feeling that a few experienced dyno people might of been a bit squeamish while doing it as its been reported via hub dyno's around the world that they were around 150hp at the hubs, which is about only a reflection of ~180hp at the flywheel, or a little less.

So if you take a hub dyno as a far more accurate indicator, then everyone on rollers was overrating the cars by up to 20hp (and well for me seat of the bum experience the stock 86 NEVER felt like 170wph), then the potentially these WHP ratings on the new model are making sense if they are using the older 86 settings.

So lets take the current car, which is being estimated on the hubs at just a tiny bit over 200hp (which is practically bang in the range for chassis drop from the official HP numbers), and lets say you used the same settings as you did for the 86 dyno that you had calibrated in the past. Potentially this is where the really big outliers in high HP readings from stock are. I mean I think everyone is up a little bit too high, but some are just absolutely kidding themselves.
Blighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 07:22 PM   #44
Blighty

Drives: WR Blue Pearl 2022 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveDriftDogfight86 View Post
I didn't see DSport on the list. They have over 1,000 dyno runs with FRS/BRZ's, and hosted the 86 Challenge at Willow Springs.

Their GR86 numbers are:
221.25 whp (SAE)
175.16 lb-ft

With stock FRS at 173whp (SAE) on the same dyno, the GR86 is making over 48whp peak, and over 55whp more at 7,000RPM than 1st gen.

"The FA24’s power curve is very similar to the FA20 with a CARB-legal supercharger."

"With the 2022 GR86, Toyota claims 228 horsepower at the flywheel. Toyota lied. We measured 221.25 horsepower at the wheels. That equates to 260 horsepower at the flywheel. Toyota has underrated the power by nearly 15 percent. In comparison to the first-generations FA20 engine, the 94mm bore FA24 engine delivers 28 percent more power and 21 percent more torque from the 19.5-percent larger displacement engine."

https://dsportmag.com/the-cars/first...2-toyota-gr86/
I don't know if speed trap proves an exact flywheel/crank power. There are so many variables like wind and traction, let alone the gear changing and reaction speed to the driver.

I will say that consistent results showing increased max-v at 1/4m over the s2000 just shows that there is more power from the twins than the s2k. That is I think a given. It also gets a bit confusing because the s2k was initially released with a different manufacturer calculation for flywheel power than is what the standard is now.

Its all a bit fuzzy with how manufacturers report, because if one thing is very clear is that no matter if you believe Toyota were over reporting in the OG car, or under reporting in this car (I of course believe the former), its obvious that the OEM reporting has not been adhered to with precision.
Blighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 09:34 AM   #45
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
No trap speed isn't exact, of course we know that. But for DECADES, it's been a pretty good approximation.
Dzmitry (12-21-2022)
Old 12-21-2022, 10:35 AM   #46
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
No trap speed isn't exact, of course we know that. But for DECADES, it's been a pretty good approximation.
Correction - for decades, it has been the BEST approximation. Clocking 1/4 miles, trap speeds, and things like 5-60 have been the absolute best way to compare a cars ability to accelerate VS another. HP figures and dynos will NEVER do that for you. They're just fun figures to look at to bring joy to those who love seeing an improvement in power and then relating it to the difference in feeling on their own personal vehicle(whether it is placebo or not). Dyno figures should really never be used to compare one vehicle to another, but rather only for comparing the changes in power for one vehicle.
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dzmitry For This Useful Post:
APEX Race Parts (12-30-2022), CSG Mike (12-23-2022), justinco (01-09-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 01:20 PM   #47
MacSpeed

Drives: 2022 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Some fuel for the fires here.

Mods are; AEM drop in Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, GrimmSpeed Elbow, JDL EL header, and FT86MS Axel back. Rest is stock.
MacSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MacSpeed For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (01-11-2023), formulaBRZ (01-09-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 02:42 PM   #48
OkieSnuffBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSpeed View Post

Mods are; AEM drop in Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, GrimmSpeed Elbow, JDL EL header, and FT86MS Axel back. Rest is stock.
Pretty meaningless without stock numbers from your car on the same dyno.
Old 01-09-2023, 02:52 PM   #49
MacSpeed

Quote:
Pretty meaningless without stock numbers from your car on the same dyno.
Agreed, slightly mad I didn't get stock dyno but is what it is at this point. Buddies cars that we dyno'd same time seemed to make about what we expected (Non twins). Mine was about 10 low from what I expected it to be.
Old 01-09-2023, 03:01 PM   #50
OkieSnuffBox

Quote:
Agreed, slightly mad I didn't get stock dyno but is what it is at this point. Buddies cars that we dyno'd same time seemed to make about what we expected (Non twins). Mine was about 10 low from what I expected it to be.
You mentioned header, I'm guessing since ECUtek is still in Beta, you don't have a tune? I'd expect it to pick up some with a tune.

But don't put too much stock in the numbers. As long as it drives well and runs well, just enjoy it.
MacSpeed (01-09-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 03:36 PM   #51
MacSpeed

Quote:
You mentioned header, I'm guessing since ECUtek is still in Beta, you don't have a tune? I'd expect it to pick up some with a tune.

But don't put too much stock in the numbers. As long as it drives well and runs well, just enjoy it.
yup, and headers only been on for about 150 miles so not sure if ECU is angry at that still LOL
Old 01-10-2023, 02:06 PM   #52
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Torque curve looks great. Sits nice and high most of the way through the 3500-6500 RPM range.
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dzmitry For This Useful Post:
MacSpeed (01-10-2023)