follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-19-2022, 11:18 PM   #29
Sjej

Drives: 2010 Ford Edge Sport
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
2013's are fine, with the stipulation that if the valve spring recall was performed, it was performed at least 30k miles beforehand.

it's really in your benefit to get as late model as you can swing. they made incremental improvements every few years to the chassis and components. a 2020 model has a much stiffer chassis, and a more stout engine due to all of those small changes. 2016 was a mid-model refresh that they applied a lot of chassis updates, i want to say there was a second update as a 'last hurrah' around 2019-2020.

will do. ill see how much money i can spend and go for the latest. its also reassuring to have a 2016-2020 frs/brz instead of having a 2013 frs. just something about knowing its newer
Sjej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 10:08 PM   #30
frostyfrs

Drives: Supercharged 2013 Scion FR-S
Garage
I will say, I bought my boosted FRS right out of high school, and It was the best decision ever. Do not let anyone tell you other wise.
frostyfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frostyfrs For This Useful Post:
Sjej (03-05-2023)
Old 01-07-2023, 01:31 AM   #31
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,431 Times in 6,147 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjej View Post
But, as long as i can reliably modify the car, beat on it and still also be able to daily drive it, it's all I need, and thats why I'm so set on getting this car. A hellcat may go fast in a straight line, but you won't have to baby it to keep traction going on the off-ramp, a mustang may be fast, but it doesn't get the 20-30 mpg everyone is talking about, none of these are cheap and most of all none of them give the same feel as a life-size go kart.

I've also learned to stay away from the 2013's yes or no? I heard they have the most issues. Paying extra is fine for the reliability that'll come with it, so I really don't care about that.

One more worry... this engine does not look easy to work on lol
"Reliably modify" needs to come with an asterisk. Every modification has an amount of risk to reliability, between aftermarket parts and installation quality.

The worst thing you can do to a car outside of crashing it is neglecting maintenance and not letting it get fully up to temperature before running it hard. If you avoid abusing it, it should otherwise take whatever driving you can throw at it.

I've got a 2013 and it's been great the last 9+ years. Nothing I would describe as an issue. I haven't heard of any real problems on 2013s that wouldn't have been resolved by now. Valve spring recall issues aside. Still open on my car at least lol.

The engine is perfectly fine to work ON. It's just difficult to work IN. Most accessories, belts, lines, etc are accessible. It's pretty rare to need to work inside the engine. Spark plugs are annoying, or will be when I do them this weekend...
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (01-07-2023)
Old 01-08-2023, 09:46 AM   #32
blsfrs

Drives: 2013 frs base
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjej View Post
Yeah man, I've realized that they only do it to protect their ego lol.I've never seen a guy in a porsche or lambo disrespect a brz like hellcat owners would. I personally don't care about beating others in anything, only if doing autocross. So there's no worry about losing drag races or street races because i dont even enjoy them

i hate the boat-feeling of the challengers. if i wanted that, id stick with the ford edges and get an ST and save myself money. from what i hear the brz feels planted with no body roll, seats that keep you in, and a very low to the ground feeling. thats what i want.

and is it worth getting the carfax for a car im planning on buying?
FWIW: My 2013 FRS came with a Carfax. After owning it for a year and doing some mods, I found that the left front fender/headlight had been replaced and there was a boat load of bondo behind the right door. Nothing in the Carfax about any accidents. Even though she is flawed, I still love her.
blsfrs is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blsfrs For This Useful Post:
Spuds (01-08-2023)
Old 01-08-2023, 09:52 AM   #33
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blsfrs View Post
FWIW: My 2013 FRS came with a Carfax. After owning it for a year and doing some mods, I found that the left front fender/headlight had been replaced and there was a boat load of bondo behind the right door. Nothing in the Carfax about any accidents. Even though she is flawed, I still love her.
i had one like that as well. was rear-ended at some point, but clean carfax.

no one is legally required to report to the service, so it's really just a report of what happens if a dozen things ideally work the way they're supposed to.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/trust...8#.UbOr4_nrxyU

carfax is good to get, but it's not the end-all-be-all of vehicle info. still do you due diligence.
blsfrs (01-09-2023), Spuds (01-08-2023)
Old 03-05-2023, 01:09 AM   #34
Sjej

Drives: 2010 Ford Edge Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
"Reliably modify" needs to come with an asterisk. Every modification has an amount of risk to reliability, between aftermarket parts and installation quality.

The worst thing you can do to a car outside of crashing it is neglecting maintenance and not letting it get fully up to temperature before running it hard. If you avoid abusing it, it should otherwise take whatever driving you can throw at it.

I've got a 2013 and it's been great the last 9+ years. Nothing I would describe as an issue. I haven't heard of any real problems on 2013s that wouldn't have been resolved by now. Valve spring recall issues aside. Still open on my car at least lol.

The engine is perfectly fine to work ON. It's just difficult to work IN. Most accessories, belts, lines, etc are accessible. It's pretty rare to need to work inside the engine. Spark plugs are annoying, or will be when I do them this weekend...
Quote:
Originally Posted by blsfrs View Post

i havent got notifications from this website so i just assumed everyone stopped replying, but i found the thread again

anyways i treat my little 2010 ford edge sport like its a $70,000 car in terms of maintenance, i think i'll be fine with a frs/brz. i think the difficulty will be finding a reliable one that i will be able to daily drive
Sjej is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sjej For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (03-05-2023)

Tags
first 86