follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 08-13-2021, 06:00 PM   #1
Fffffyocouch

Drives: 2017 brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
40k for a 700 whp turbo brz? Pics inside

Long time lurker, first post. But I need some advice.

I bought a 2017 brz new from the dealer several years ago with the intention of doing a turbo build when I finally finished schooling and got my first big boy job.

It finally happened about two years ago. I got in contact with a reputable local shop and asked them to do a build for about 400 whp with a budget of 20k.

It has taken legit almost 1.5 years from then for them to almost have the car done (still not done). So the initial plan was going to be a closed deck IAG engine, my heads, turbo kit, tune, and fuel system capable of e85. They did that plus a lot of custom fabrication and added a gigantic precision 6870 turbo.

The car made 480 whp on the dyno yesterday without turning up the boost. It had a misfire and sounds like it blew a valve spring.

They gave me a new invoice for the work done so far. In total so far I will have given them about 34k. They have gone way over budget but they did do a lot of custom work and the car is pretty bad ass. I’m pissed that they didn’t ask me before going overboard like this, but I am excited to own this car. It is something truly special. They think that it will be another 3k or so to take my heads off diagnose and fix the problem.

Does almost 40k sound reasonable for a completely custom build capable of over 700 whp or are they using me as their personal bank?

I’ve never done a custom build like this so I have no barometer for how much this is supposed to cost.

I’d really appreciate any help or advice.
Attached Images

Fffffyocouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 06:04 PM   #2
Howaitoguru

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fffffyocouch View Post
Long time lurker, first post. But I need some advice.

I bought a 2017 brz new from the dealer several years ago with the intention of doing a turbo build when I finally finished schooling and got my first big boy job.

It finally happened about two years ago. I got in contact with a reputable local shop and asked them to do a build for about 400 whp with a budget of 20k.

It has taken legit almost 1.5 years from then for them to almost have the car done (still not done). So the initial plan was going to be a closed deck IAG engine, my heads, turbo kit, tune, and fuel system capable of e85. They did that plus a lot of custom fabrication and added a gigantic precision 6870 turbo.

The car made 480 whp on the dyno yesterday without turning up the boost. It had a misfire and sounds like it blew a valve spring.

They gave me a new invoice for the work done so far. In total so far I will have given them about 34k. They have gone way over budget but they did do a lot of custom work and the car is pretty bad ass. I’m pissed that they didn’t ask me before going overboard like this, but I am excited to own this car. It is something truly special. They think that it will be another 3k or so to take my heads off diagnose and fix the problem.

Does almost 40k sound reasonable for a completely custom build capable of over 700 whp or are they using me as their personal bank?

I’ve never done a custom build like this so I have no barometer for how much this is supposed to cost.

I’d really appreciate any help or advice.

You’re getting penetrated with no condom my guy. My performance shop told me they would install a IAG short block for $8k and they would boost it for $1.5k as long as I supplied FI kit. That’s roughly $15k for the whole damn thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Howaitoguru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Howaitoguru For This Useful Post:
BrahmaBull1990 (08-14-2021), HachiRokuX (08-13-2021), Lonewolf (08-14-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 06:07 PM   #3
Fffffyocouch

I forgot to mention, the 40k includes the parts which they supplied.
Old 08-13-2021, 06:17 PM   #4
Howaitoguru

Quote:

Yeah so I’m saying my shop said a reliable boosted build with an iag block would cost $15k for everything. But they probably upped the cost on parts as shops normally do.

Old 08-13-2021, 06:18 PM   #5
Howaitoguru

Quote:

However if your car can push 700whp reliably. Then you’ve only spent roughly $65k for one of the fastest cars on the road. You would shut on a hellcat.

The Following User Says Thank You to Howaitoguru For This Useful Post:
mswbrz (08-15-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 06:23 PM   #6
Fffffyocouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howaitoguru View Post
However if your car can push 700whp reliably. Then you’ve only spent roughly $65k for one of the fastest cars on the road. You would shut on a hellcat.

This is the answer I was looking for. When I look at other builds capable of that kind of power it rarely shows the totals of how much it cost. So I don’t know what kind of money is reasonable. When you put it like that it doesn’t sound so bad.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fffffyocouch For This Useful Post:
mswbrz (08-15-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 06:56 PM   #7
HachiRokuX

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Wait, you paid full price for a BRZ (roughly $30K) and sunk an additional $34k-$40k (more than the price of the car) into the car while having barely driven it?

And it sounds like it still has problems. I think the 86 is a great platform but not that great. Sounds to me like you got robbed. There’s a billion other done cars especially at nearly $70k (Porsche) in that would’ve given you want you were looking for. Sorry this happened to you, sounds to me like the shop just views you as a long term cash cow. But this is just my opinion. They should’ve been able to do more on the original budget you set.

HachiRokuX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 07:18 PM   #8
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
That was an absolute terrible waste of money. I'm sorry man. What were you thinking? The awesome cars you could have had for that kind of money.
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 08:04 PM   #9
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
I hate to be that guy,. but if you can't do it yourself, it costs however much the shop is asking you to pay.
700whp is nothing like 400whp. It requires so much more. Axles, better fueling (including returning it to the tank and probably quite a bit of pieces to regulate and pressurize this system), transmission swap/upgrade, huge cooling upgrades, etc.

Just a transmission to support it will be at least 7-8k, because you'll need to pay labor for install, and buy a clutch to support the power at those levels.
Axles will be another $1000. A differential to put it down (A 1.5 way LSD would be optimal), a wheel/tire setup that can lay it down, ducting so that your cool new cooling system is effective. Not to mention all the custom -AN fittings, lines, all that stuff adds up fast as well.
Maybe you'll need to go with a standalone ECU? There's another 5-10k.

Get it running as it is, and enjoy 400 to 500WHP. You'll kill 95% of the cars you could find who will race you, and you can still replace the broken parts with something from subaruparts.com or O'Reilly's
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
alphasaur (08-14-2021), BrahmaBull1990 (08-14-2021), Dadhawk (09-02-2021), Dzmitry (08-16-2021), soundman98 (08-13-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 08:18 PM   #10
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
I think you spent way too much, but I don't think you got robbed either. Custom fab probably nearly doubled the cost. Just send it and don't worry what others think.

I'd hope you are not paying for the head issue if they did the work and it had a failure already.
Old 08-13-2021, 08:32 PM   #11
Fffffyocouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
I hate to be that guy,. but if you can't do it yourself, it costs however much the shop is asking you to pay.
700whp is nothing like 400whp. It requires so much more. Axles, better fueling (including returning it to the tank and probably quite a bit of pieces to regulate and pressurize this system), transmission swap/upgrade, huge cooling upgrades, etc.

Just a transmission to support it will be at least 7-8k, because you'll need to pay labor for install, and buy a clutch to support the power at those levels.
Axles will be another $1000. A differential to put it down (A 1.5 way LSD would be optimal), a wheel/tire setup that can lay it down, ducting so that your cool new cooling system is effective. Not to mention all the custom -AN fittings, lines, all that stuff adds up fast as well.
Maybe you'll need to go with a standalone ECU? There's another 5-10k.

Get it running as it is, and enjoy 400 to 500WHP. You'll kill 95% of the cars you could find who will race you, and you can still replace the broken parts with something from subaruparts.com or O'Reilly's
Thank you for being that guy. This is very helpful. I Will need a new transmission gear set and differential in the future when Im ready to make more but everything else that you mentioned is already done.

and I absolutely can not do it myself.
Old 08-13-2021, 08:37 PM   #12
Fffffyocouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I think you spent way too much, but I don't think you got robbed either. Custom fab probably nearly doubled the cost. Just send it and don't worry what others think.

I'd hope you are not paying for the head issue if they did the work and it had a failure already.
thank you. that's really helpful. I don't care what anyone else thinks, I just don't want to be robbed blind.
Old 08-14-2021, 12:15 AM   #13
TurboBRZ_UAE

Drives: 2015 GT86 SC; 2014 BRZ turbo (sold)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
There is a point of diminishing returns on this platform, and you've gone well past that, hence the cost. As others have said above, all the custom work required for these power levels will push the cost up immensely. Whether you want one of the fastest street brz/86's on the planet, regardless of cost, is up to you.

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk
TurboBRZ_UAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 10:57 AM   #14
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Have not seen a single FA20 make even 500whp reliably, a few dyno pulls or handful of passes on a strip sure, but reliably driven at 500whp for a reasonable amount of time, no chance, if done right 450whp seems about the reliable limit on E85 with full built longblock.

This is not even close to a reliable 700whp build. Unless there is a long long list of things you are leaving off the table this isn’t even a reliable 500whp build. 35k for a reliable 450whp on E85 wouldn’t be unreasonable, but this price should include a full CD009 trans swap
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 86TOYO2k17 For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (08-14-2021), Irace86.2.0 (08-14-2021), Mike_ZN6 (08-16-2021)