follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-20-2020, 07:12 PM   #1
Leviathan83

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Camshafts upgrade

Hi to everyone.

I'm planning to modify FA20 engine with forged internals, new valves, new valve springs and install the HKS Supercharger V2.
In these days I'm considering also the possibility to upgrade also camshafts with something more "spicy".
However someone says that this is a mod that has some issues, because the benefits concern mid and high-range power with loss in low-range... is that correct?

Except for HKS Cams (that require hks stroker kit) I found only Piper Cams as alternative, in the configuration:
- Fast Road SUBFA20BP270 262° 266°
- Ultimate Road SUBFA20BP285 272° 266°
I wrote to Piper Cams about installation and they said the 270 fast road camshaft should allow to install without the need for any changes or modifications; the 285 will require valve train component modification, so valve springs and it is possible you may need to shim in case of a clearance issue.
In pratical, what kind of work it's need to install the 285 cams to avoid clearance issue?
Could be relevant the difference between 270 and 285 in terms of performance?
And is it a modification that makes HKS supercharger (and other upgrades on internals component and valvetrain I'm planning to do) more efficient and usable?

Sorry for my question (and my English), I'm not an expert!
I know that there are several posts about camshafts; in these days I read lots of them (especially about Piper Cams) but I didn't find informations about the questions I have.

Thanks to all of you for answering!
Leviathan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:20 AM   #2
bobel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I’m currently building my own engine that is also running a HKS V2 Supercharger

I am not upgrading the valves but I am using GSC beehive springs so somewhat similar

From the research I’ve done the OEM head and camshafts are actually very good and flow quiet well, I think if you are going with new valves a +1mm oversize on the exhaust valves and some light porting is probably all you need to extract the maximum out of a HKS V2

I think the lack of aftermarket cams probably says a lot about the ultimate need for them when not chasing huge numbers, but of course that’s just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:05 AM   #3
Apoc

Drives: Raven FR-S 6M
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The lack of aftermarket options may also be due to the stock camshaft design being pretty good (fat lobes and near infinite adjustability with ACVS). Before ACVS a higher lift and longer duration camshaft would be an easy HP gain. Not so much now. Link to my post from 5 years ago.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...4&postcount=24
Old 01-22-2020, 11:34 AM   #4
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I think someone is selling piper cams in the classifieds
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 02:48 PM   #5
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133380
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:02 PM   #6
Leviathan83

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobel View Post
I’m currently building my own engine that is also running a HKS V2 Supercharger

I am not upgrading the valves but I am using GSC beehive springs so somewhat similar

From the research I’ve done the OEM head and camshafts are actually very good and flow quiet well, I think if you are going with new valves a +1mm oversize on the exhaust valves and some light porting is probably all you need to extract the maximum out of a HKS V2

I think the lack of aftermarket cams probably says a lot about the ultimate need for them when not chasing huge numbers, but of course that’s just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for your reply. I considered the possibility to go with +1 valves, but I think this job is very expensive (do you know approssimately how much could be?)... And you have to find someone reliable to do it. By now, I didn't find anyone to do the job...
Is possible to enlarge without damaging heads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
The lack of aftermarket options may also be due to the stock camshaft design being pretty good (fat lobes and near infinite adjustability with ACVS). Before ACVS a higher lift and longer duration camshaft would be an easy HP gain. Not so much now. Link to my post from 5 years ago.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...4&postcount=24
This is very interesting. I read that article some years ago, but I forgot it. Thanks. I thought that also the aftermarket cams could be as flexible as stock ones...
In terms of performance, maybe camshafts don't make this huge difference. Seeing HKS graphs with their camshafts, the gain is only 10 HP and 12 nm of torque with more displacement and V2... Maybe Piper Cams don't change a lot from HKS.

I don't know if new camshafts and new spring allow to push rpm... even if I heard that HKS compressor is rated for max 7.400 rpm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzmitry View Post
Thanks for the link. Yes, I saw it, but it's the Rally version...

I found also this article https://dsportmag.com/the-tech/educa...haft-analysis/
and this unofficial data for these Piper Camshafts; unfortunately nothing similar for stock cams... what do you think?

Fast Road

Ultimate Road

Last edited by Leviathan83; 01-22-2020 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:06 PM   #7
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
FBM also makes a cam. Could reach out to them for a full built head. I doubt cams do too much without oversized valves and some port work on the fa20s. But the more boost you make the possibility for cams potentially being more beneficial increases.

http://fullblownmotorsports.com/full...age-1-camshaft
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 03:25 AM   #8
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I am revising this topic on camshafts. The ones from HKS are a mild increase and they cannot offer much improvement. Another topic to be careful with the Piper cams is that they are not of very good build quality. Check attached screenshot.
Attached Images

Last edited by nikitopo; 04-10-2020 at 03:46 AM.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (04-10-2020), Lantanafrs2 (04-15-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 04:13 PM   #9
Leviathan83

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
I am revising this topic on camshafts. The ones from HKS are a mild increase and they cannot offer much improvement. Another topic to be careful with the Piper cams is that they are not of very good build quality. Check attached screenshot.
OMG! Not good... I heard something about bad Piper Cams reliability...

Probably, OEM cams are the best choice... Maybe it's better to invest on valve springs and valves to increase power.
How about valve springs to increase power? Read a lot about dual vs beehive layout... What's better to increase rpm with OEM camshafts?
I heard also that OEM rocket arms are not so strong, and there are no aftermarket upgrade to increase reilability...
Old 04-26-2020, 10:17 PM   #10
solidsnake11

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
I read about two brand new motors with broken piper cams. I don't even think either one finished the first race event.
solidsnake11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 11:56 PM   #11
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan83 View Post
OMG! Not good... I heard something about bad Piper Cams reliability...

Probably, OEM cams are the best choice... Maybe it's better to invest on valve springs and valves to increase power.
How about valve springs to increase power? Read a lot about dual vs beehive layout... What's better to increase rpm with OEM camshafts?
I heard also that OEM rocket arms are not so strong, and there are no aftermarket upgrade to increase reilability...
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsnake11 View Post
I read about two brand new motors with broken piper cams. I don't even think either one finished the first race event.
I heard that Piper revised after the manufacturing process. So, maybe there isn't an issue anymore ...

@CounterSpace Garage did you have any issue with their camshafts?
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 06:01 PM   #12
Fa20Toybaru
FA20ToyBaru

Drives: Manual
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I am also building my FA20. I am currently researching cylinder heads. The recommendations on here are pretty good. Going +1 has shown good results. I was looking at the piper and HKS cams. I did not know what the difference was until I asked my tuner. If we were to look at this as an option. We have to consider "LIFT" and "DURATION". This from my understanding is what gives the increase in performance. If anyone has further explanation on this please let me know. I have also heard that the stock cam are reliable and good.
Question: If one uses the HKS cams, are we stuck only using their motor upgrades?
I have also posted a thread that I need help on. It's about transmissions. I do need help on that, at this point . Thanks in advance, good luck on the build
Fa20Toybaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 06:35 PM   #13
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fa20Toybaru View Post
I am also building my FA20. I am currently researching cylinder heads. The recommendations on here are pretty good. Going +1 has shown good results. I was looking at the piper and HKS cams. I did not know what the difference was until I asked my tuner. If we were to look at this as an option. We have to consider "LIFT" and "DURATION". This from my understanding is what gives the increase in performance. If anyone has further explanation on this please let me know. I have also heard that the stock cam are reliable and good.
Question: If one uses the HKS cams, are we stuck only using their motor upgrades?
I have also posted a thread that I need help on. It's about transmissions. I do need help on that, at this point . Thanks in advance, good luck on the build
Element Tuning or Full Blown are the guys you want to talk to.
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PulsarBeeerz For This Useful Post:
Spuds (05-13-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 06:50 PM   #14
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan83 View Post

In terms of performance, maybe camshafts don't make this huge difference. Seeing HKS graphs with their camshafts, the gain is only 10 HP and 12 nm of torque with more displacement and V2... Maybe Piper Cams don't change a lot from HKS.

I don't know if new camshafts and new spring allow to push rpm... even if I heard that HKS compressor is rated for max 7.400 rpm...

You will get further gains by improving your boost add-on (or choice of forced induction) than by swapping internal components of the FA20.

The power difference between the dyno graphs with the HKS stroker+cams will further increase as you raise the the boost up. I cannot speak for HKS's superchargers but Harrop has also been testing HKS's stroker+cam combo on their S/C track project seeing increased results.

Here is a member with the HKS V2 and the HKS kit to read about: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show....php?p=2097618

Tags
camshafts, engine, valve, valvetrain