follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 10-30-2022, 04:17 PM   #43
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
I'm looking forward to header + E85 results.

The other thing that would be nice to know is if we will be able to flash back to stock for a dealer visit, and not have the dealer be able to see that it's been tuned.

If you are that worried about it, save yourself the trouble and purchase a used ECU from a '22+ car when they become available, pull your OEM ECU from the car, install the used ECU, marry it to the car, then do all of your tuning on the used ECU. Store your OEM ECU in a safe place. This works with all of the first gen model years.

When you want to "flash back to stock" all you have to do is reinstall your OEM ECU, marry it back to your car, revert your modifications and you're done. Bring it to the dealer or any smog check station, and they will never know the vehicle had been previously tuned.

Only thing is, we don't know if a used '22+ model ECU can be married to a different car.....yet, nor the procedure to do it.....yet.
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 04:58 PM   #44
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,229 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S2GT86 View Post
If you are that worried about it, save yourself the trouble and purchase a used ECU from a '22+ car when they become available, pull your OEM ECU from the car, install the used ECU, marry it to the car, then do all of your tuning on the used ECU. Store your OEM ECU in a safe place. This works with all of the first gen model years.

When you want to "flash back to stock" all you have to do is reinstall your OEM ECU, marry it back to your car, revert your modifications and you're done. Bring it to the dealer or any smog check station, and they will never know the vehicle had been previously tuned.

Only thing is, we don't know if a used '22+ model ECU can be married to a different car.....yet, nor the procedure to do it.....yet.
This looks like a Facebook post.

All you have to do is X, but we don't know if X is even possible.
x808drifter (10-31-2022)
Old 10-30-2022, 07:09 PM   #45
Dirty Harry

Drives: 2013 BRZ Satin White Pearl
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Dirty Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dirty Harry For This Useful Post:
BioRebel (10-31-2022), Lantanafrs2 (10-30-2022)
Old 10-30-2022, 07:34 PM   #46
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Great video. I had a feeling that there would be a lower ceiling in terms of delta with the new motor. It's pretty stout as it comes from the factory.
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lantanafrs2 For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (10-30-2022)
Old 10-30-2022, 08:17 PM   #47
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ SOLD
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'm sure there is more left in it on 91/93oct once a catless header is installed. However, I was expecting more of a delta with the E85 tune. It is early yet of course.
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PulsarBeeerz For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (10-30-2022)
Old 10-30-2022, 09:11 PM   #48
Lantanafrs2

This guy got an almost identical gain to delicious effort. Shows us just how well understood this car is.
Old 10-30-2022, 09:34 PM   #49
VF Tuner

Drives: white brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Yep, Orange Virus was too fucking lazy to even change the title tag (what shows up on the tab of your browser). Look for yourself.

https://vftuner.com/

They announced monster gains for ND2, independent testing showed they were lying, and they disappeared.

Sorry this is not true. We did not release any gains, tunes, etc for the ND2.

I am curious where you read or saw this "independent testing" proving us false? Since we have no advertised tune or dyno or anything for the ND2.
We left the ND / Miata tuning market when we stopped tuning vehicles and moved towards providing tuning software. This was before ND2 tuning was even completely possible. Initially we were going to make a calibration for the ND2, but shelved the idea when we stopped tuning vehicles. People were very unhappy when we decided we would no longer be tuning vehicles, and make up all sorts of rumors.

The site is not changed because it is the same business. "VF" is vForest aka the code name for Toyotas chipsets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMChris View Post
For anyone who doesn't know. VF Tuner is formerly OV Tuning (Orange Virus). Supports the community for a short time then bounces.

Again, false, or at least misleading. We have been supporting and bringing tuning for toyotas (the most notoriously difficult ECUs to crack) for the last 5+ Years, before anyone, and have been successfully bringing tuning solutions for toyotas (Tacoma, Tundra, 4Runner, etc) with otherwise "impossible" to tune ECUs for the last 5+ years.

People say this because about 3 years ago, we stopped tuning vehicles. We let our customers know in advance and gave them more than a year of time to submit any logs / etc for revisions. This somehow turned into the idea that we "disappeared" all together.

Yes we cracked (OBD read, OBD Flash) GR86 ECU. We bought a vehicle to start development work on back in December of last year.
Beta is already under way. Every company has mixed reviews, and I am first to admit that when COVID came around and we had a very difficult time with some things, some reviews went sour, we had a hard time, and decided to stop tuning vehicles. So we shifted focus to bringing the best toyota ECU calibration software out there, and we have done that, consistently for the last 2+ years.

But our calibration software (read/ write / tune / log / etc) is used by Tier 1, Tier 2 , etc manufacturers and companies who seek out and gain CARB approval with our suite.
Our company has completely changed direction from just providing tunes (I was a ecutek master tuner for several years) to providing the best Toyota ECU calibration software there is.

We write custom patches, custom code, and are excited to provide what we can for the BRZ.
Sure, I know right away it won't be "the best"... ecutek is undefeated in this realm. But it will be something that anyone can use, anyone can access. Not locked only to tuners, and not bank breaking prices either.

Some people will never use it, that is perfectly okay with us. our software rivals that of many other major brands (Ecutek, HP Tuners, EFI live, UpRev, Cobb, etc) and is an established software used for CARB approval of modifications.

We were the first to provide a real world solution to for the GR Yaris (ECU flash / read / write / High speed log / calibrate) and is currently *the only* company that can provide accurate boost control on stock ECU.

We are not selling anything and am not convincing anyone of anything. We will let our suite do the talking, when it is ready. If all goes well it will be ready by end of the year.

Regarding swapping ECUs / programming a new ECU. These ECUs use TOYOTAS security KEY access / programming to "marry" / program to the rest of the vehicle, (BCM, ABS, etc). You can READ / Write / Write new KEYS to the ECU so ECU swapping is .."possible" however doing this requires connection to Toyotas servers for authentication of VIN to Security key and vehicle. I doubt this will ever be something that can be done "offline" (but can be done from home using techstream).

Here is what our software looks like. It was inspired by software I used for many years as a tuner myself (color schemes, mainly. EcuEdit / brz edit / mazda edit / ecutek / HP tuners / etc).

Regarding the 2022 BRZ ECU and "bricking" I don't think it is something you'll need to be concerned about. The primary flash segment "boot loader/ Flash loader / area of ROM that is initially accessed" Is not flashed when you program over OBD. (may be different in ecuteks case.. I don't know). But since this is the case, the ECU is recoverable from a "bad" or partial flash. (unlike many true toyota ECUs).

I am happy to share any information I have about the ECU so far. We are not here selling anything. Go check our site, for the person trying to say we are selling some pre order, that is entirely unfounded.
Attached Images

Last edited by VF Tuner; 11-08-2022 at 02:28 AM.
VF Tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to VF Tuner For This Useful Post:
AgentBlue243 (10-31-2022), alphasaur (11-13-2022), FrickingReallySlow (10-31-2022), Interceptor777 (10-31-2022), jonboy99 (11-14-2022), slimfit (10-31-2022), Stonehorsw (10-31-2022), tomm.brz (10-31-2022)
Old 10-31-2022, 12:39 PM   #50
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
This looks like a Facebook post.

All you have to do is X, but we don't know if X is even possible.

I wouldn't know, I'm not on Facadebook.
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FR-S2GT86 For This Useful Post:
H380 (11-04-2022), Irace86.2.0 (10-31-2022), x808drifter (11-01-2022)
Old 10-31-2022, 01:18 PM   #51
FrickingReallySlow

Drives: 2015 FR-S
@VF Tuner good to have alternatives for the Carb legal tuning scene. Hopefully you guys can build up to be a recognized brand for GR86
@Kevin Vo video said that GR86 came with an aggressive tune from the factory assuming the best conditions/Octane and that the ECU will "knock" itself down using the big hammer AIM with learning.... that's not good for all of us in California lol I'd rather it learn "up"
FrickingReallySlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 02:13 PM   #52
BioRebel

Drives: Mini Cooper S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
ECU being cracked is good news. The more people and shops that get a chance to play with it the better off we'll all be.

Does anyone know how hard it is to flash the ECU? I hope I don't have to remove it and ship it out.
BioRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 03:35 PM   #53
Lantanafrs2

Yikes
Old 10-31-2022, 04:39 PM   #54
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,229 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioRebel View Post
ECU being cracked is good news. The more people and shops that get a chance to play with it the better off we'll all be.

Does anyone know how hard it is to flash the ECU? I hope I don't have to remove it and ship it out.
If Ecutek has it done, then it's very likely you don't have to do that. That's some BMW/Audi type stuff.

I suspect you'll be able to do it through the OBD-II port like normal.
BioRebel (10-31-2022)
Old 10-31-2022, 06:13 PM   #55
Lantanafrs2

I wonder if these cars need an ecu reset to restore power once the ecu has tuned it out due to fuel quality?
Old 10-31-2022, 07:23 PM   #56
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,012 Times in 1,456 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrickingReallySlow View Post
@VF Tuner good to have alternatives for the Carb legal tuning scene. Hopefully you guys can build up to be a recognized brand for GR86
@Kevin Vo video said that GR86 came with an aggressive tune from the factory assuming the best conditions/Octane and that the ECU will "knock" itself down using the big hammer AIM with learning.... that's not good for all of us in California lol I'd rather it learn "up"
that was my take away as well. Hence the smaller gap vs gen 1 with e85. ECU is pretty well maxed thus the smaller gains. Honestly Not sure its worth it on the 2nd Gen. But lets see when optimized Headers come. Will have my Popcorn rdy. I wish I could get Gen 2 power from my Gen 1 motor and that won't happen without boost.
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote