follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 06-25-2022, 09:39 PM   #1303
ojuniour

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2017
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunnyGopher View Post
Hmmm. I haven't had mine dyno'd yet, but on 90mm pulley and E85, my butt dyno is definitely telling me at least 300. Zach from CSG told me for my goal of ~320whp, the 90 or 85 would get me there easily, but I have all the goodies installed to get me there. I believe Replicant also had a dyno chart showing a conservative 85mm tune and also reached ~320 with all the goodies. Temps here are similar, if not hotter. I'm with Replicant, what supporting mods are installed?
Full Catless with jdl uel header. It's all auto fyi.. so not sure if the gearing used dramatically affects the result.
I will say that my 0 to 60 is around 4.6 which I must say it's quite impressive when there is no clutch dumping or any sort of launch control..
ojuniour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 09:45 PM   #1304
ojuniour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_ZN6 View Post
What headers are you running?
JDL uel
Old 07-04-2022, 11:25 PM   #1305
grumpysnapper

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
A realistic reference guide for people, using an internationally respected tuner.
The latest power run on E85 at around 15c on a Dynapack.
65mm pulley, built motor (etc), ACE headers, no cat, custom 2.75 single exhaust, 4.66 diff, on a Motec. (motor with about 10,000km hard use)

418.85 Nm @ 5035 rpm
374.27 hp (279 KW) @ 7000 rpm

Its always about the torque
Attached Images

grumpysnapper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grumpysnapper For This Useful Post:
FunnyGopher (07-05-2022), Irace86.2.0 (07-05-2022)
Old 07-05-2022, 02:40 AM   #1306
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Looks almost identical to my turbo K24 at 10psi E85 with one cat and 2.5” exhaust. I’m interested to see what Harrop will do on the FA24. I think this is their smallest pulley, so I would expect mid to high 400’s with the FA24. Should be a rocket with all that instant torque.
grumpysnapper (07-05-2022)
Old 07-05-2022, 05:18 AM   #1307
grumpysnapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Looks almost identical to my turbo K24 at 10psi E85 with one cat and 2.5” exhaust. I’m interested to see what Harrop will do on the FA24. I think this is their smallest pulley, so I would expect mid to high 400’s with the FA24. Should be a rocket with all that instant torque.
It was interesting, the tuner is not a real fan of the FA20, but he did confirm that compared to many inline fours it does quite well in terms of torque... thankfully I guess, with a relatively low rev ceiling HP is always going to be more of a challenge.
But then he taught me a lesson in humility when he overlaid some Nissan GTR dyno runs he did the day before, with some light mods (nothing internal) and a still fairly conservative tune...over 1000 Nm at under 3k rpm...and docile enough for your mum to drive to the shops.

Last edited by grumpysnapper; 07-05-2022 at 05:59 AM.
Old 09-26-2022, 09:03 AM   #1308
ojuniour

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReplicant View Post
Just throwing in a dyno. This is the 85mm pulley on E60 with a super soft tune (by choice). Ace A350, Ace front pipe, and CSG Touring catback.

Impressive.
I'm assuming this isn't mustang dynanomenter?
Old 09-26-2022, 11:50 AM   #1309
RedReplicant

Drives: None
Thanked 1,209 Times in 515 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojuniour View Post
Impressive.
I'm assuming this isn't mustang dynanomenter?
Dynojet with NASA classing settings
Old 09-27-2022, 02:50 PM   #1310
ojuniour

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReplicant View Post
Dynojet with NASA classing settings
still pretty good nonetheless..
Mine running e70 with 85mm pulley can only garner 280/220 tuned and dyno-ed on Mustang dynanometer with ambient temp at around 100.

so maybe that's the problem - the temp?
well, kinda underwhelming..but it does pull though.. so idk I might go dyno it again around this time now that the temp has fallen.
It's a +17 AT though.
Old 09-27-2022, 07:35 PM   #1311
RedReplicant

Drives: None
Thanked 1,209 Times in 515 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojuniour View Post
still pretty good nonetheless..
Mine running e70 with 85mm pulley can only garner 280/220 tuned and dyno-ed on Mustang dynanometer with ambient temp at around 100.

so maybe that's the problem - the temp?
well, kinda underwhelming..but it does pull though.. so idk I might go dyno it again around this time now that the temp has fallen.
It's a +17 AT though.
With the old saying of dyno is a tool, can't compare numbers directly disclaimer standing...

When I dyno'd the car it was in the 60s ambient and the following things that might affect power:

ACE A350 header
Catless ACE front pipe
2.75" Catback
OSGiken clutch/fw
Jack's built stock 6spd transmission
255/35/18 Nankang AR1 tires

If you want a more apples to apples comparison you could take the car to most any Dynojet shop and hand them this:

https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com...m--3-14-22.pdf

That'll let you compare numbers fairly closely to anyone else who was dyno'd on the same setup. There is also compliance database with the dyno data for everyone that competes with NASA to browse through if you want to go bench racing too.

https://airtable.com/shrtuIZcugofvmC...gWtC3AQ0QAJPI0
Old 10-07-2022, 05:44 PM   #1312
Bodalenko
Steve Bodalenko

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Slightly off subject given the last couple of pages, but interested in what plugs people are using in their Harrop fitted cars. Specifically when running e85 70 to 80% of the time. OEM of aftermarket? Considering changing mine @ 44k kms and some recent misfires at 2k rpm when under hard acceleration, sluggishness off the mark, and rough start up and idling. I know it sound like a dirty MAF or vacuum leak but I might as well do the entire job properly.

Harrop, with 85mm pulley, been on car for 2 years now and still best bang for buck I’ve spent. In case anyone was thinking of going that route.

As a side question, is anyone else apart from me running the dual Radium catch can setup? Any issues re vacuum leaks associated for the fitment. Harrop in Melbourne, AU installed my kit and apparently connecting the Radium’s had them scratching their heads for a while before working it out. Seems to work as designed and I get very little, 1mm, oil every six months due to blow by.

Last edited by Bodalenko; 10-07-2022 at 06:52 PM.
Bodalenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 04:44 AM   #1313
grumpysnapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodalenko View Post
Slightly off subject given the last couple of pages, but interested in what plugs people are using in their Harrop fitted cars. Specifically when running e85 70 to 80% of the time. OEM of aftermarket? Considering changing mine @ 44k kms and some recent misfires at 2k rpm when under hard acceleration, sluggishness off the mark, and rough start up and idling. I know it sound like a dirty MAF or vacuum leak but I might as well do the entire job properly.

Harrop, with 85mm pulley, been on car for 2 years now and still best bang for buck I’ve spent. In case anyone was thinking of going that route.

As a side question, is anyone else apart from me running the dual Radium catch can setup? Any issues re vacuum leaks associated for the fitment. Harrop in Melbourne, AU installed my kit and apparently connecting the Radium’s had them scratching their heads for a while before working it out. Seems to work as designed and I get very little, 1mm, oil every six months due to blow by.
I changed my plugs about 2000km ago as a belts and braces thing when I put in new Ignition Projects coil packs.
Just used the recommended OEM plugs, and they are fine.

I use the dual Radium kit too, and I have always gotten significant oil from the (right hand side tank) PCV valve , but almost nothing from the other (left side tank) crank case breather side.... regardless of the pulley sizes I have fitted.
The Following User Says Thank You to grumpysnapper For This Useful Post:
Bodalenko (10-08-2022)
Old 10-08-2022, 06:09 AM   #1314
Bodalenko
Steve Bodalenko

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpysnapper View Post
I changed my plugs about 2000km ago as a belts and braces thing when I put in new Ignition Projects coil packs.
Just used the recommended OEM plugs, and they are fine.

I use the dual Radium kit too, and I have always gotten significant oil from the (right hand side tank) PCV valve , but almost nothing from the other (left side tank) crank case breather side.... regardless of the pulley sizes I have fitted.
How many k’s were on the car when you did the plugs? I’m avoiding it due to the difficulty factor but it’s something I want to do just to see how hard it really is..

Nothing of note in my Radium’s though the cars done very little work or k’s, 2000kms, since install due to covid.
Bodalenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 08:56 AM   #1315
grumpysnapper

Quote:
How many k’s were on the car when you did the plugs? I’m avoiding it due to the difficulty factor but it’s something I want to do just to see how hard it really is..

Nothing of note in my Radium’s though the cars done very little work or k’s, 2000kms, since install due to covid.
They had been replaced when I had the built engine put in, so had only done around 4-5k, and were in good condition.

Changing the plugs is frustrating/annoying etc, but not the end of the world.
Make sure you buy a thin walled, magnetic, long, and flexible ended 14mm socket.
Take the time remove as much crap that is in the way as possible.
And buy a small piece of plastic tubing that you can slip over the plugs end cap to help guide it into place.
And if you do the hard side first, the next bank seems like a doddle!
Old 10-13-2022, 06:04 PM   #1316
FunnyGopher

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

After doing this 3 or 4 times, the secret I found is to just let the socket fall into the hole and to have a small magnetic stick.

For removal, slide a magnetic spark plug socket down the hole by itself. Slide a short 3" extension in after it, but don't let them fully engage each other. The extension should be slightly sticking out of the hole. Attach a socket wrench and loosen the spark plug. I prefer to use the socket wrench to just crack it loose and then take it off and loosen by hand, but either works. Once the spark plug is fully loosened, take off the socket wrench and pull out the extension. Use a short magnetic stick to pull the socket out. The spark plug should stay in the socket since it's magnetic.

For installing a spark plug, slide a spark plug down the hole by itself first, and then follow all the steps for removing, obviously tightening the spark plug instead of loosening it.

I was dumbfounded how quick I completed the last set using this method after struggling for hours the first few times. Removing all the stuff just to reach the spark plugs takes the majority of the time. Good luck!
Harrop Supercharger | Delicious Tuning Flex Fuel Kit | ACE Type-A 350 Header + OP | CSG Touring 86 Catback | RacerX Fabrication Catch Can | Jackson Racing Dual Radiator/Oil Cooler | Tuned by Zach from CSG
FunnyGopher is offline   Reply With Quote