follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 09-09-2022, 03:29 PM   #43
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
Toyota & Subaru have tested turbo engine in 86 before... it goes all the way back to GT86. They even used 1.5 turbo boxer engine all the way to V6 before. With that said, snail equipped in GR86 coming? I wouldn't say 100% not a chance, but at least not for very long time. At least not from Subaru side (Political BS).

As for Yaris engine into GR86, it's different branch/department of Z (Toyota Sports Engineering) from 86 project. They're also testing different things... just using GR86 as a chassis. You can see from that swapped GR86 hood is cut inside to keep it fit. By safety, it won't pass. Can't see it, but tunnel had to be heavily cut and welded to fit. If you can find the inside photo, you can see it.

Right now, Toyota is developing something... which I'm interested in... very interested in. Is that involve GR86? No. Is that involve Yaris/GRC engine? Kinda, but not really.

That's all I can say atm
Toyotas always developing something. It's what companies do. I certainly won't plan my driving future based on forum rumors or tada interviews
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lantanafrs2 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-09-2022)
Old 09-09-2022, 03:30 PM   #44
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Half weren't born yet
I know, I was actually poking fun at the fact that market experts on forums back in the day (Freshalloy/NICO/Zilvia) all basically said the same things about how Nissan was stupid not sell the S15 in LHD territories, about how people would go out and buy tons of sports cars tomorrow, about how the manufacturers were wrong about the market...

but then a quick look at sales numbers shows exactly what the market was not buying, namely the performance versions of a car with upgraded engines (Eclipse GS-T/X, Prelude SH, RSX Type-S, etc etc)

but what can you do? everyone's worldview is tiny. we are all debating about these things like a frog in the bottom of a well.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-09-2022)
Old 09-09-2022, 04:16 PM   #45
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
Toyotas always developing something. It's what companies do. I certainly won't plan my driving future based on forum rumors or tada interviews
Thank you for the obvious. lol Common sense members have the "I'll believe it, when I see it." stance, so members are taking my post as grain of salt... unless your post was sarcasm, clearly I failed to read between the lines.
Old 09-20-2022, 12:28 AM   #46
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj View Post
If they weren't so focused on running engines straight up and down, there would be plenty of room under the hood, or the boot lid for that matter.
Put them on a slant like the Chrysler 6. Was a solid performer and still is.
Since we're spending other peoples' money, make it a dry sump and cut another 9 inches off the bottom.

They even had a supercharged 4x4 unit on it's side in the Previa for years.
Shout out...I owned a 61 Valiant with a slant 6.

The BMW's sixes tilt, RBs tilt and there are many other tilted engines these days, especially FWD engines. I think the motor is already at a tilt like most FWD engines that are slightly tilted backward towards the firewall. This helps with hood clearance and maybe handling, but it also allows the bottom of the engine to sit forward enough to clear the axles.

For what it is worth, the 3SGE BEAMS was inline and the 3SGE/GTE was tilted, so Toyota could alter the angle to fit the needs of the car. They may not lay it flat, but I could see them tilting it more to fit the hood. I think it is more likely that they will put this transverse setup into a new MR2 than put it into a 86, but here's hoping. I'm also waiting for someone to swap the GR Yaris/Corolla drivetrain, AWD and all, into a 86.

https://toyota-club.net/files/faq/20...-engine_en.htm
Old 09-20-2022, 01:30 AM   #47
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
Right now, Toyota is developing something... which I'm interested in... very interested in. Is that involve GR86? No. Is that involve Yaris/GRC engine? Kinda, but not really.

That's all I can say atm
The GR Supra covered the originals Supras and the premium turbo market. The GR86 covered the original AE86 and the light weight NA market. The GR Corolla covered the original Celica GT-four and the AWD rally market. The only thing left is the MR2, and the only powertrain left is a hybrid powertrain.

"Kinda, but not really" sounds like it could be a hybrid power plant with an electric turbo or just a performance hybrid like the RAV4 Prime, but instead of a 2.5L with an electric motor in the Prime, I could see the 1.6L with an electric motor. If it was even close to the 2,200lbs like the last gen or something in the 2,500lbs then it would be cool. I don't know if this would be priced to compete with the Miata, as a cheap convertible/targa or if it would be a little more upmarket in size and quality to fit between the GR86 and GR Supra next to the GR Corolla, as a poor man's Cayman.

The GR GT3 concept is neat too, but that looks for more upmarket and probably a LFA successor than something in Toyota's lineup, and it is likely not in my league to be interesting, nor would it likely have the .

I know you can't say anything. I'm just laying out my guesses. A performance hybrid seems like the most likely option for something that would come out in the next five years to spearhead the future of sports cars for Toyota. If not that then my next guess is another collaboration with Subaru. Apparently they are teaming up on EVs, so maybe this would be a plug-in hybrid/EV with a 1.6L "range extender and performance booster" engine, potentially downsized to a 1.0-1.3L. That seems less likely for a performance car, but I'm not leaving it off the table.
Clipdat (09-21-2022), ichitaka05 (09-20-2022)