follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 05-23-2022, 09:23 AM   #1
series.trackday

Drives: '17 Subaru BRZ series.Yellow
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Front lower ball joint nut removal tips?

For a 2017 with 50K miles, the ball joint nuts sure are giving me problems. In no particular order: I've soaked them overnight in BP blaster, used a wrench, used an impact gun, beat at them with a hammer, cut away the boot and cleaned the grease and gripped the ball joint shaft with vice grips, straight wailed away on the control arm with a sledge, and even (unsuccessfully) tried to use a pry bar to pull off the caps underside the ball joints on the bottom of the control arms: nothing I seem to do will get the ball joint nut to break free. The bolt just spins endlessly with the nut. Subaru's design is giving me fits.

Is there a secret? This is driving me mad, I spent at least two hours on a single side trying to get it off. My next step is to cut the nut off with a dremel with a metal cutting disk, but I'd rather avoid that just due to the tight nature of the space.

I don't care about the condition of the ball joint, ball joint nut, or LCAs after I'm done. It's all getting replaced.
series.trackday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 09:52 AM   #2
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Why not rent the tool from a place close by? The right tool makes it far easier
Old 05-23-2022, 11:27 AM   #3
series.trackday

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Why not rent the tool from a place close by? The right tool makes it far easier
I don't know what you mean by "the tool", but I've got a pickle fork. My problem isn't pulling the ball joint, it's the ball joint nut, which is to say, the nut holding the ball joint in the LCA, to the upright.
The Following User Says Thank You to series.trackday For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (05-23-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 11:36 AM   #4
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Yeah, the service manual just tells you "Remove the cotter pin and nut.". To actually remove the ball joint from the knuckle it tells you to use the puller, but a pickle fork should work just as well (especially if you don't care about reusing it).

No idea how to remove the nut in your case, though. Perhaps a nut splitter would be easier to use than a Dremel with a cutoff wheel?
Attached Images

Ohio Enthusiast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ohio Enthusiast For This Useful Post:
series.trackday (05-23-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 12:08 PM   #5
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
You are too far gone now. Likely need to use a nut splitter.

When I get one that is stubborn I’ll take a pickle fork and tap it between the knuckle and the control arm to put tension on the ball joint. Then hit the nut with impact. Doesn’t work every time.
Ohio Enthusiast (05-23-2022), series.trackday (05-23-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 02:24 PM   #6
series.trackday

That's what I feared. I guess I'm picking up a nut splitter on the way home from work today.

Why can't they have sensible ball joint design? What's wrong with a keyed shaft? I'm replacing the entire assembly with SPL Parts' FLCA, which has a heim joint with a through-stud in place of the ball joint. No more of this mess.

Thanks to y'all for weighing in.
Old 05-23-2022, 03:13 PM   #7
Joon525

Drives: 2016 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by series.trackday View Post
For a 2017 with 50K miles, the ball joint nuts sure are giving me problems. In no particular order: I've soaked them overnight in BP blaster, used a wrench, used an impact gun, beat at them with a hammer, cut away the boot and cleaned the grease and gripped the ball joint shaft with vice grips, straight wailed away on the control arm with a sledge, and even (unsuccessfully) tried to use a pry bar to pull off the caps underside the ball joints on the bottom of the control arms: nothing I seem to do will get the ball joint nut to break free. The bolt just spins endlessly with the nut. Subaru's design is giving me fits.

Is there a secret? This is driving me mad, I spent at least two hours on a single side trying to get it off. My next step is to cut the nut off with a dremel with a metal cutting disk, but I'd rather avoid that just due to the tight nature of the space.

I don't care about the condition of the ball joint, ball joint nut, or LCAs after I'm done. It's all getting replaced.
Tried a torch at all? I don't see it mentioned so I thought I'd ask.
Joon525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 03:16 PM   #8
series.trackday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joon525 View Post
Tried a torch at all? I don't see it mentioned so I thought I'd ask.
No, I haven't got a torch. A nut splitter's cheaper than a torch, so...
Old 05-23-2022, 04:28 PM   #9
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
I don't know what you mean by "the tool", but I've got a pickle fork. My problem isn't pulling the ball joint, it's the ball joint nut, which is to say, the nut holding the ball joint in the LCA, to the upright.
Ahh ok, that sucks then. Make sure you've got something to heat it up or use a nut splitter
Old 05-30-2022, 06:25 AM   #10
series.trackday

The nut splitter didn't work due to the ball joint nut having a flange and being recessed into the knuckle. I ended up having to go with the Dremel with metal cut-off wheel.

I cut down the midpoint of the shaft until I got to the nut, cut off one half of the shaft, rotated the nut/shaft with vice grips 180 degrees, cut off the remaining half of the shaft, an then cut down the center of the shaft/nut combo. Finally popped off one side of the nut and then was able to rotate what remained of the nut separately from the ball joint.

That was a lotta work. This is the first time I have cause to say, "If I ever met the engineer that designed this I'd give them a good choke."

Who the hell comes up with an integral ball joint without a keyed shaft or something?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to series.trackday For This Useful Post:
bcj (05-30-2022), Ohio Enthusiast (05-30-2022)
Old 05-30-2022, 06:56 AM   #11
TheBoss77

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

That was a lotta work. This is the first time I have cause to say, "If I ever met the engineer that designed this I'd give them a good choke."

Glad you finally got it off, pal. After spending some time wrenching on this car, I found myself thinking the exact same thing at least few times.
TheBoss77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 11:51 AM   #12
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Gotta say, at that point, why not melt it? Cant be tight if its liquid
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 12:00 PM   #13
series.trackday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk View Post
Gotta say, at that point, why not melt it? Cant be tight if its liquid
Well, first off 'cause I already did it, second, I don't have a torch, third, I'm still using the knuckles, and if I actually torched the nuts hot enough to get the steel malleable it would affect the integrity of the knuckle and possibly the hub.

Last edited by series.trackday; 05-30-2022 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-01-2022, 10:18 AM   #14
Matt93SE

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
over a week too late here, but you should have been pushing on the ball joint, not pulling on it.

Every ball joint Mfr for the last 90 years or so has used a tapered fitting and I've rarely had issues getting the nuts loose. Modern Japanese cars use torque on the nut to put some tension on the threads and keep the nut from loosening. Murican cars (and earlier Japanese) use a castle nut and cotter pin at much lower torque. I've never had any of them come loose on me when properly installed.

That said, how to get these things loose is to jack up the car from the bottom of the ball joint. you put the ball joint in compression with a bunch of weight on it and that keeps it from spinning. then zap the nut with a good strong impact wrench and it'll pop right off.

shoving a pickle fork under there and prying the ball joint down only made the problem worse because it was pulling the tapered pin out of the joint putting all of the pressure on the threads of the nut and not keeping the pin jammed in place so it won't spin.

once the nut is loose, then and only then should you wail on the knuckle or use the pickle fork to release the pin.

After the fact, but HTH someone else.
Matt93SE is offline   Reply With Quote