follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-07-2014, 11:35 AM   #1
rtyp3

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Question Advice on 3" Exhaust Combo: JDL EL Catted Header, Nameless OP/DP, Perrin Cat-Back

Hey all,

I've been studying all the different options and have come up with the combination below, which seems to be the best mix satisfying my requirements -- catted setup to avoid any emissions/inspection related issues, remain SCCA legal, and keep noise low enough to drive daily. I would also prefer to go 3" as all dyno's and reports I've seen show benefits to this. I plan to remain N/A and on the intake side am using a K&N replacement filter. I'll likely do in stages, starting with headers and working my way back.

My proposed setup:My question for the community:

1) Does this look like a good set up? Haven't seen anyone else with the same, so looking for any advice or if I'm missing anything.

2) Will it be too loud for a daily driver? Between cats on the header and downpipe, plus resonators on the Nameless and Perrin, plus muffler, I'm hoping sound will remain reasonable for daily driving.

Thanks in advance!
rtyp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:43 AM   #2
Alaskan
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Stick with 2.5" unless you're going turbo. You'll be glad you did.

3" exhaust chokes down low and has just a tad more top end than 2.5". Negligible at best. The low end choke is not worth it. 2.5" supports upwards of 350 hp no problem.

Go with a JDL catless EL, 2.5" Nameless Overpipe/Downpipe with cat and helmholtz, and the Perrin 2.5". Save your cash.
Alaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alaskan For This Useful Post:
kosoku (03-23-2015)
Old 10-07-2014, 01:20 PM   #3
rtyp3

Garage
Thanks for the feedback.

It was this article from Perrin that leaned me towards 3": http://blog.perrinperformance.com/3-...ults-and-tune/

They show additional HP benefit without any loss of power anywhere in the range -- in fact there was a lot of torque to be gained from 3" in the low (2500 - 3500 rpm) end.

Does anyone else have experience with this set up, or 2.5" vs 3"?
Old 10-07-2014, 01:36 PM   #4
BatStig
Some say.....

Drives: 2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I have the 2.5" version of this setup. Cold start is a gong show: vibrates the hell out of my house. Quiets right down once past the cam overlap. I get a bit of drone at 80mph, but maybe I should slow down a bit.

I swapped my Nameless over/front pipe combo for separate Motiv pieces (still catted but no helmholtz), No difference at all.

Daily driving is no problem with this setup.
BatStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:05 PM   #5
Alaskan
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtyp3 View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

It was this article from Perrin that leaned me towards 3": http://blog.perrinperformance.com/3-...ults-and-tune/

They show additional HP benefit without any loss of power anywhere in the range -- in fact there was a lot of torque to be gained from 3" in the low (2500 - 3500 rpm) end.

Does anyone else have experience with this set up, or 2.5" vs 3"?
I would take that with a grain of salt. I had a 3" exhaust and daily driving, I could feel the sluggish real low rpm power before it kicked in. My issue was rasp. The loudness I could deal with. In the end, 3" should just be used for turbo when it comes down to it. There's V8 cars that don't even run 3 inch exhausts with 3 times the displacement of ours and they're pushing 400 whp.

In the end, to each their own really. If you want the heavier 3" exhaust for a little bit more high end power, go for it. If it gets dyno tuned, you may be able to tune around the sluggish low end with a good header like the JDL. I went back to 2.5" because it was raspy in the Nameless setup I had. Perrin 3" resonated might actually be a good counter to it, but you might have some drone. Exhaust is hard to say what it will sound like until you actually do it.
Alaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alaskan For This Useful Post:
Chad86 (06-01-2016)
Old 10-07-2014, 03:07 PM   #6
skyloran
Honeydew old ID

Drives: GT86
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatStig View Post
I have the 2.5" version of this setup. Cold start is a gong show: vibrates the hell out of my house. Quiets right down once past the cam overlap. I get a bit of drone at 80mph, but maybe I should slow down a bit.

I swapped my Nameless over/front pipe combo for separate Motiv pieces (still catted but no helmholtz), No difference at all.

Daily driving is no problem with this setup.
why you gave up your Nameless over/front pipe combo for separate Motiv pieces?? price?
Old 10-07-2014, 03:35 PM   #7
BatStig
Some say.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyloran View Post
why you gave up your Nameless over/front pipe combo for separate Motiv pieces?? price?
I had the same fit issues documented here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61188
Old 10-07-2014, 04:28 PM   #8
rtyp3

Garage
I called JDL earlier to order the headers -- opted for a catted UEL based upon their recommendations for sound quality and volume (it's also less expensive).

On the phone I asked them about the 3" set up, and they said they installed one almost identical last week on a N/A car -- except they fabricated the over/front pipe combo with resonator and cats instead of using Nameless version. They said it sounded great, one of the best twins they have heard in terms of quality and volume. Couldn't provide feedback on performance since they only handled install.

I ended up ordering the same combo -- Buying together they gave a discount compared with buying the JDL headers and Nameless over/front pipe combo. Also ensures fit since they will make together and will use V-connectors throughout.

I'll let everyone know how it turns out. Regardless, will give us another data point to reference. Worst case I'll sell it and replace with 2.5" if I lose low end torque.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:30 PM   #9
skyloran
Honeydew old ID

Drives: GT86
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatStig View Post
I had the same fit issues documented here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61188
but aren't the new Nameless fp/op combo fix the fitment issue????
Old 10-07-2014, 04:34 PM   #10
BatStig
Some say.....

Quote:
No clue. Motiv pieces fit perfect so I stopped looking in to this.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:28 PM   #11
Mad_Mike

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS firestorm
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I didn't have an issue with fitment with my nameless FP/op and JDL el catted header. But I do have the marbles in tin can problem with the can style resonator.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:16 AM   #12
Freeman

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
I have a jdl uel, nameless 3 inch op/dp and Perrin 3 inch catback. The uel is louder than the EL, but what I've got now can accurately be described as FUCKING LOUD. If you like loud then I'd go with the 3 inch, but a 2.5 inch system is the more civilized option.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeman For This Useful Post:
Chad86 (06-01-2016)
Old 10-10-2014, 11:25 AM   #13
GotBRZ1691

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited 6smt
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I have a 3in catback. Just the catback. Now for daily driving, its fine if you only do short trips. My 45 minute ride home from work is tolerable but anything longer, is almost unbearable, especially at the end of the day.

I drive 5 to 6 hours every other Friday now, will be doing it today. From San Francisco to Santa Barbara. First few hours will be fine, but last time, I PUT IN EAR PLUGS!! no joke.

I plan on getting the OFT as soon as they are in stock, and will be getting a header to go with it. Needless to say, I am looking for an axleback or a resonated 2.5, probs q300 or perrin ATM. Unless you plan on going turbo, there is no need for a 3 in. I have noticed a slight lose in torque at the low end, which is the last thing this car needs.

I love the sound of the exhaust, but I like my hearing more. Like I said if daily driving for you consist of many short trips, it may be tolerable. This assumption is based on my experience and without a header

Let me know what route you go
GotBRZ1691 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GotBRZ1691 For This Useful Post:
Chad86 (06-01-2016)
Old 10-10-2014, 01:09 PM   #14
rtyp3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotBRZ1691 View Post

Let me know what route you go
Well, I've got the below set up on order - fingers crossed it will work out well. Going to be installing the Perrin Cat-back this weekend; the JDL parts will arrive in approximately 6 weeks. I'll let everyone know how it turns out from a performance and noise standpoint.

JDL UEL Headers: Ceramic coated, with Cat
JDL overpipe/downpipe combo: 3" version. Includes Cat and resonator.
  • Not on their website but when I called them up they said they have made it before. Cost less than the Nameless and they will also ensure perfect fitment with the adjacent JDL headers.
Perrin catback: 3", with resonators
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rtyp3 For This Useful Post:
aghuman (02-06-2015), Chad86 (10-15-2015), Freeman (10-10-2014)