follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 07-09-2014, 10:44 AM   #183
ChiefG
Skeptic

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine 6A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husker BRZ View Post
@ChiefG and @e11wa I'm looking at purchasing the blackvue dr500gw hd dashcam and would really like to use the option connector you guys were speaking of. However, I'm kind of an electrical noob.
If I wire the camera with the power magic pro how exactly do I connect the wires into the option connector to ensure a good connection?
I found the wiring diagram but which pin location would which wire go into? I would really appreciate any help here as I really don't want to pay anyone to do this install and I would really like to keep all the wires hidden! Thanks!
Contact user SVXdc through a PM or through his website AE64.com and buy the option connector from him. Then all you have to do is connect the power supply to the wires on that connector and plug it in to the factory option connector. You can also find the power pin using a tester.

Somewhere in the DYI I think I posted this with pics.

Go to my DIY here, it explains all with illustrations: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54683

Last edited by ChiefG; 07-09-2014 at 10:48 AM. Reason: added info
ChiefG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:17 AM   #184
Husker BRZ
Go Big Red!!

Drives: 2013 SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefG View Post
Contact user SVXdc through a PM or through his website AE64.com and buy the option connector from him. Then all you have to do is connect the power supply to the wires on that connector and plug it in to the factory option connector. You can also find the power pin using a tester.

Somewhere in the DYI I think I posted this with pics.

Go to my DIY here, it explains all with illustrations: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54683
Awesome!! Thank you so much! I don't know how that thread didn't pull up when I was using the search option. Your write up is amazing and is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you again!
Husker BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 04:13 PM   #185
kylethomas23

Drives: 2014 brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have a blackvue 750 and when trying to install the PMP, every time the ground wire touches the metal the LED flashes green and turns right off. Ang help please!!!
kylethomas23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:12 PM   #186
arren123

Drives: 2013 BRZ (RIP), now 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Battery Power Down

Just wanted to check in. I installed the DR600GW-HD w/Power Magic PRO in my BRZ January 26th. I went to start my car today, Feb 28th, and it didn't have enough juice to start. It just had enough power to run the interior lights, dash, radio, small stuff.

When I checked the voltage, it was at 11.76 volts. I thought that the Power Magic PRO is supposed to prevent this from happening.

I have all the jumper settings 1 through 5 set in the UP position. This is the setting for 12V (+/- 0.1 volts), 6 Hrs.

Anyone else had this issue?

Maybe the problem is that the car is only driven 3 miles to work and 3 miles back and it doesn't have enough time to get it fully charged.

To make it worse, it was left in the cold 30 degree weather for 26 hours.

I have it on a trickle charge and might add it to my daily routine after work.
arren123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:28 AM   #187
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arren123 View Post
Just wanted to check in. I installed the DR600GW-HD w/Power Magic PRO in my BRZ January 26th. I went to start my car today, Feb 28th, and it didn't have enough juice to start. It just had enough power to run the interior lights, dash, radio, small stuff.

When I checked the voltage, it was at 11.76 volts. I thought that the Power Magic PRO is supposed to prevent this from happening.

I have all the jumper settings 1 through 5 set in the UP position. This is the setting for 12V (+/- 0.1 volts), 6 Hrs.

Anyone else had this issue?

Maybe the problem is that the car is only driven 3 miles to work and 3 miles back and it doesn't have enough time to get it fully charged.

To make it worse, it was left in the cold 30 degree weather for 26 hours.

I have it on a trickle charge and might add it to my daily routine after work.
it didnt charge enough with 3 miles and cold weather affects it as well.
even it shuts off power below 12v, car already spent most of juice on blackvue for 6 hours. maybe idle the car more than 15 min lot before turn the car off and battery gets charged
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zc06_kisstherain For This Useful Post:
Zen86 (11-29-2015)
Old 12-28-2015, 04:35 PM   #188
Sherb

Drives: Brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Anyone in San Diego can recommend me a shop that can install this for me?
Sherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:44 AM   #189
Markiv

Drives: GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherb View Post
Anyone in San Diego can recommend me a shop that can install this for me?
It is really easy to do yourself if you have the time and use the 6-pin option harness (from here) which connects behind the headunit. There's more details on using that here. That way you don't have to use the add-a-fuse. I followed that one for mine and the hardest part was getting the A-pillar trim off and back on.
Markiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:22 AM   #190
Ammunition

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
How are you guys deciding on a mounting location for your cameras? I picked up a Blackvue DR650GW, and I'm trying to figure out where to mount it such that the lens is as much in the center as it can be, but high enough to capture a good overall view of the front of the car.

Unfortunately the base for the rear view mirror in this car seems to be a bit low, so simply installing the dash-cam such that the lens is right below that base has me concerned that that won't work out for capturing as much area as it should be able to in the footage.
Ammunition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:05 AM   #191
Devante
Crescent fresh at best.

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S - Asphalt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammunition View Post
How are you guys deciding on a mounting location for your cameras? I picked up a Blackvue DR650GW, and I'm trying to figure out where to mount it such that the lens is as much in the center as it can be, but high enough to capture a good overall view of the front of the car.

Unfortunately the base for the rear view mirror in this car seems to be a bit low, so simply installing the dash-cam such that the lens is right below that base has me concerned that that won't work out for capturing as much area as it should be able to in the footage.

I think putting it directly on the black spots on the passenger side is good.

I have two questions, though.

1) If you take it off, will it peel off those black spots?
2) I kind of shoved the copper wires into the fuse slot and pushed the fuse back in. Is there a particular side of the fuse it needs to go on?
Devante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:09 AM   #192
8RZ
The Gunshine State

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,163 Times in 587 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammunition View Post

Current DD: M235i
8RZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:14 AM   #193
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devante View Post
I think putting it directly on the black spots on the passenger side is good.

I have two questions, though.

1) If you take it off, will it peel off those black spots?
--> double side residue will left off
2) I kind of shoved the copper wires into the fuse slot and pushed the fuse back in. Is there a particular side of the fuse it needs to go on?

1--> double side residue will left off
2--> it's fine. i personally use add-fuse tap
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:16 AM   #194
Devante
Crescent fresh at best.

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S - Asphalt
Quote:
Originally Posted by zc06_kisstherain View Post
1--> double side residue will left off
2--> it's fine. i personally use add-fuse tap
I didn't have any and putting in with the fuse was actually simple and let me close the fuse cover.

But then I started thinking about it and isn't one side of the fuse near the battery and one side is going to whatever component it's protecting?

So I was wondering if I need to put the wire on a certain side.
Devante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 01:08 PM   #195
arjunkc

Drives: Toyota 86 GT
Thinkware F800 Pro

I followed the same procedure successfully, and had a couple of things to add:
1. The F800 Pro has an optional hardwiring harness that works without a powermagic. The hardwiring instructions for it can be found here: https://www.thinkware.com/Support/Faq?cat=MOUNTING
2. The heater-S fuse does not work for me --the owners manual says that it powers the air conditioning system-- but the seat heaters worked for continuous power.
3. The Toyota service manual at https://demos.starbase7.net/t3Portal..._rm_index.html tells you exactly how to remove the A-pillar. I looked under Vehicle Interior > Interior Panels > Roof Headlining > Removal > Remove Front Pillar Garnish.
4. When putting the A-pillar back together pay special attention to the middle clip; otherwise the top clip doesn't go in properly.
arjunkc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blackvue, dashcam, diy, dr400g-hd, power magic pro