follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 06-06-2014, 08:12 PM   #1
makesdrivingfunagain

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FR-S vs 370Z

I drove the 370Z 2013 automatic a few months ago. I received the quote for the base model with a warranty and it was nearly $36,500.00. I spent 31,500 ish with an extended warranty for 3 years and my frs and it is an automatic. However, not only was I a bit disspointed in the price but it didn't even include a limited slip differential. Seriously I am still surprised at this price it doesn't include a limited slip. I thought the 370Z and the FR-S are in the same class at SCCA autocross events. However, from my personal humble non-professional opinion (enthusiast minded) they seem to be in two classes. One has so much more power and torque isn't it nearly a 10-1 hp/weight ratio while the fr-s is around 14-1. I also know it weighs nearly 500lbs more. The gas mileage is horrible but it makes power... I was disspointed in the amount of nose lift the car made when accelerating from first too third-fourth gear. However, I was impressed by the brakes and the sound. It is still a total blast to drive. And, I may purchase one someday. But it did feel stiff and looked pretty good. I would need to earn a bit more money to purchase the limited slip differential though. I wouldn't purchase the base model since it doesn't include a limited slip. However to Nissans credit they offer various models and prices in the 370! This is a major plus for them in this model line. They have options, I mean horsepower and other quality/enthusiast minded options, rims, Nismo Package etc. For now I certainly don't regret buying my FR-S. For now I would stick with the FR-S. Also my FR-S get great gas milage even though I floor it multiple times daily, I am still getting around 28mpg, that is awesome. Gas is so expensive these days. Having a light car is really really cool. Anyways my first car review comparison. IMHO : )
makesdrivingfunagain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to makesdrivingfunagain For This Useful Post:
Kamakanani0 (06-10-2014)
Old 06-06-2014, 08:32 PM   #2
Davey

Drives: BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The 370Z with sport package can be had with the standard warranty for well under $35K negotiated price. It's a viscous limited slip. That means that it's oil coupled and basically is an open diff in about 10K miles, or less if you actually use it.

The 370Z is not a bad sporty coupe. Negatives are blind spots, the engine is pretty harsh, and the transmission isn't the greatest (manual... No idea on the automatic).

I think you picked the better car, if you're concerned more about having fun driving than winning stop light drags against soccer moms in SUV's.
Davey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:10 PM   #3
makesdrivingfunagain

Oh, I forgot to mention what I thought about the technology and the transmission of the 370 Z. The car didn't have sport mode, as I asked the salesman or salesperson if it had a sports mode and he stated "its always in sportsmode" lol. The transmission in my FR-S I think is much better. That transmission didn't impress me, really it didn't. The braking and power definitely did though.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:53 PM   #4
speargunsandracecars

Drives: 2014 BRZ
The Z is more of a Japanese muscle car. The twins are lightweight sportscars. The biggest issue with the 370 is that it's prone to overheating on track days. Pretty badly in stock form. Check out the forums. This here is the main reason why I didn't even consider it. Also, it's extremely expensive to modify. And everything in the engine bay is so cramped, it just makes it a pain in the ass to work on. I like to do my own wreching.

I was watching the Motortrend review on the Z, and it doesn't seem to be in good condition. The press car they have apparently has a broken diff. Not so sure on the long term reliability of the Z. I do, however, like the interior of the Z.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:19 AM   #5
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Drives: '91 MR2 Gen3 3SGTE, '13 FRS
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
370z is in a different league. 3.7L 6 cylinder NA and in another price market. I believe the FRS is the best bang for the 2.0L NA class though. I wouldn't have one if I didn't believe so. $25k price range, show me what else is better in performance potential. The FRS went for sharp handling and used Porsche Cayman as the standard. This has never been done before in history for the $25k market. Now everybody is hungry for small, cheap, lightweight, and RWD.

A new 370z goes for like $35k? Not sure what else competes with it. 5.0 Mustang? Camero v8? Genesis v6? BMW 35i?
Old 06-07-2014, 05:20 AM   #6
totopo

Drives: 370z
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmong337 View Post
370z is in a different league. 3.7L 6 cylinder NA and in another price market. I believe the FRS is the best bang for the 2.0L NA class though. I wouldn't have one if I didn't believe so. $25k price range, show me what else is better in performance potential. The FRS went for sharp handling and used Porsche Cayman as the standard. This has never been done before in history for the $25k market. Now everybody is hungry for small, cheap, lightweight, and RWD.

A new 370z goes for like $35k? Not sure what else competes with it. 5.0 Mustang? Camero v8? Genesis v6? BMW 35i?
depends on what you mean by performance.... the twins are not fast track cars. They are fun to drive, a la miata, but if you mean performance....

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/willow...of_willow.html (because same driver, randy pobst)

impreza wrx, mazda 3, v6 mustang, focus ST...

It kind of comes down to what you define as a "sports car" A car that is fun to drive or a car that is fast.

Yes yes, you can say, with equal tires it would be faster... but with equal tires it would also be less fun....

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/laguna_seca.html
Saying it is "like a porsche cayman S" is a pretty far stretch.... maybe it feels like it, but 1:51 and 1:41 are not even close to similar

A base 370z is msrp 30K and goes for well under invoice, like 27-28k, so not really that far off from brz. if you say, but torsen LSD! but what for? for track times its more worth the money for 130hp than for an lsd. for fun, yes it's more worth the lsd. So again, is a sports car fun to drive or fast?
totopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 06:54 AM   #7
YMAA
Maximum puntential

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ 6MT LTD
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUhLXvxlQR4"]Toyota GT86 / Scion FR-S v Nissan 370Z v Used Porsche Cayman S - /CHRIS HARRIS ON CARS - YouTube[/ame]

/thread
cfusionpm (06-15-2014), FRSapex (06-19-2014), hmong337 (06-07-2014), Ultramaroon (10-24-2014)
Old 06-07-2014, 08:59 AM   #8
Chad11491

Drives: 85.5 Porsche 944, '15 mustang GT PP
You were getting ripped on the price. In Ga (the griffin dealership if anyone is local) gave me a quote for a 2013 base+sport in blue for 32k otd.

The 370z is victim to Nissan not updating it IMO. It was faster than the mustang v8 when it came out and handled worlds better. It was basically 80% a cayman at half the price. But everything got better. And the Z stayed the same. I'd love the Z , but can't justify it. I could live with the mpg, as I only get about 18 in my 280, but there's just better options for cheaper. Unless you go used. Low mid 20's used I think they're a bargain.
Chad11491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:26 PM   #9
makesdrivingfunagain

Yeah I was kind of new to this review page. I still think they are both ultra cool cars. I just thought I would follow the forum and post my thought on the comparison of two similar cars. It was the actual first time I did this. It was pretty fun as I was highly considering both of them. I may purchase a Z in the future but who knows how the car market will change in the next 6-10 years.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:47 PM   #10
TRD_86

Drives: 2013 86 white
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
car market is changing while you just enjoy the frs for dd. Z is solid but getting old for that style. I just read a pop up article from yahoo page. The new promising FT1 supra might be at super light 2,900 lbs ~ 450 hp; I'm like dreaming ...heaven, and I don't care the price for that specs b/c it will be in its own world !
TRD_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 01:31 AM   #11
swpbrz

Drives: swp brz limited
If you're buying a car based on track times and you're not a pro racer I think you need to sort out your methodology for life choices better. I guess it's ok. But if someone wants to say his frs feels like a porshe and you bring him a bunch of stats on lap times you kinda miss the point. This car is about adding up to more than the sum of its parts because of a clear specific vision of what a drivers car would be. Seeing people quibble over secobds on laptimes here is like seeing poor repblicans quibble over capital gains taxes.
swpbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swpbrz For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (10-24-2014)
Old 06-12-2014, 06:07 AM   #12
Twin4Life

Drives: '14 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Grand Touring
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I had 2013 base, 6 speed with Sport which cost $35K!! And it had NOTHING. An archaic radio, thats it. I got ripped off when I bought mine in early '13. the '14's have come down some but youre looking at low $40's to get it CLOSE to the appointments I need/want. Just wasnt worth it to me, im 36, I needed to relax a bit more in my car, while still having the power.

Yea Twins dont suffer from "staggering" times on the track, but neither did my Z. At Sebring id put down ok times, pretty good for its class, and I can say the same for BRZ I drove around. Neither car is gonna be setting lap records. But they are FUN!!!
Twin4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:29 AM   #13
LordKain

Drives: 86 GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by speargunsandracecars View Post
The Z is more of a Japanese muscle car. The twins are lightweight sportscars. The biggest issue with the 370 is that it's prone to overheating on track days. Pretty badly in stock form. Check out the forums. This here is the main reason why I didn't even consider it. Also, it's extremely expensive to modify. And everything in the engine bay is so cramped, it just makes it a pain in the ass to work on. I like to do my own wreching.

I was watching the Motortrend review on the Z, and it doesn't seem to be in good condition. The press car they have apparently has a broken diff. Not so sure on the long term reliability of the Z. I do, however, like the interior of the Z.
This is spot on, my last drive was a manual 370Z. I won't comment on price because out here in Australia the price of cars is so different to you guys it's not funny. I had her for four years and even in the hot summers we get I never had a problem. Long story short I had an injury and couldn't drive a manual any more so I went for a 86 GTS auto. The hardest thing to get over was the power difference and I was expecting it. I can say that when the engine was new it felt gutless, now 6-7000 K's down the track it's better.
The weight was the other big thing, the Z is so heavy. Down here we only get one model Z and the Stereo / SatNav in the the 86 is that bad I have no idea where Toyota found it. Again after dealing with it for six months it's ok I guess.
People ask me to compare the cars all the time, I say "they are the same but different, if you drive them you will know what I mean"
LordKain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:30 AM   #14
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
jeebus. isn't there a thread like this already?...
tahdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tahdizzle For This Useful Post:
WolfpackS2k (06-17-2014)