follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-31-2020, 10:48 PM   #1
mg92p

Drives: Subaru BRZ S 2013
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Help preparing for Forced Induction

Hi all,

Just looking for some collective advice for preparation in going with turbocharged forced induction. Have already installed MCA Purple coilovers to fit wider rims and tyres on the car for more grip with the additional power.

What components of the exhaust are necessary to have prior to FI for the best gains? (OP/FP/Catback?)

What are the preferred oil cooling kit brands?

As i plan to run E85 Flex Fuel, what size injectors should i be looking to install?

Is a new fuel pump absolutely necessary?

I am wanting to collect as many of these items as possible prior to tuning the car with the turbo installed, as dyno tunes aren't cheap.

Any constructive advice would be great, Cheers.
mg92p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 11:10 PM   #2
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,322 Times in 7,380 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
You should be communicating your goals with your tuner. When I was going to go FI the first thing I did was contact a known local tuner and ask questions.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:19 AM   #3
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg92p View Post
Hi all,

Just looking for some collective advice for preparation in going with turbocharged forced induction. Have already installed MCA Purple coilovers to fit wider rims and tyres on the car for more grip with the additional power.
FI + sticky tires = not happy clutch

What components of the exhaust are necessary to have prior to FI for the best gains? (OP/FP/Catback?)
catless frontpipe, 2.75"-3" catback, but main restriction is the cat.

DIY behind fog light bezel

As i plan to run E85 Flex Fuel, what size injectors should i be looking to install?
Depends on WHP, not a bad idea, but really need to ask tuner

same as above

I am wanting to collect as many of these items as possible prior to tuning the car with the turbo installed, as dyno tunes aren't cheap.
Good idea

Talk to tuner
See red.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:08 AM   #4
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Talk to tuner
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:32 PM   #5
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi all,

What is this for? DD, track, mix? What are your power expectations/goals?

The best gains, aka the most power, will be straight piping the exhaust system with a catless header.

My preference is the Jackson Racing radiator/oil cooler combo. Plenty of good oil coolers. Some have thermostatic plates or have other features for draining oil or whatever.

ID 1050s are best. 770s are enough for most who don't have built motors, and a pump isn't necessary. I am on E85 @ 12psi with 770s. I got a pump just for insurance.

You will need a clutch upgrade.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:57 PM   #6
MotoX16

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Hi all,

I'm running a 245 ps4s and it'll spin first and a little in second, third up hooks (on dry road). Definitely will need a better clutch though, recommend the verus fork/pivot while youre in there

The more free flowing the better (e.g. catless, 3")

Plenty of options, preferably with a thermostat, located behind the fog light. JR dual cooler is nice too. Also look at a killer b oil pickup since the pan will have to come off for the turbo anyways

ID1050X's are great, depending on power goals something smaller would work fine too. As others have stated, discuss with the person whose tuning your car

Depending on power goals, maybe. Again, talk with tuner

Bigger injectors will require a tune so do that at the same time as turbo tuning

Do lots of research, ask lots of questions. There is plenty of great advice on this forum
See above
FBM Turbo Kit: GTX3076R - HRI FlexFuel Tune - 3" Turboback Exhaust - ID1000cc Injectors - Walbro 485 Fuel Pump - FBM Oil Pan - FBM Oil Cooler - Killer B Oil Pickup - FBM Catch Can - FBM Radiator w/Fan Shroud - Clutch Masters FX400 - Verus Clutch Fork/Pivot - IRP Shifter - Cusco Engine/Trans Mounts - RCE Yellow Springs - PS4S 245/40/17
MotoX16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 01:35 PM   #7
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Hi all,

You're looking to buy all those parts yet you're concerned about the price of the tune?
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 03:05 PM   #8
airrick

Drives: TRD R.S. 1.0 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
You're looking to buy all those parts yet you're concerned about the price of the tune?
I think youre misunderstanding what he means. Dyno tunes are expensive. And everytime you get a new turbo part ie. BOV, bigger turbo, injectors, you would need a new dyno tune(since he trying to get the most gains).

Concerned about the price of the tune because he wants to do it once, so yea if youre thinking he’s gonna tune multiple times, uhh dang thats some cash i guess.
airrick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to airrick For This Useful Post:
Fullcoverage (06-06-2020), Griever423 (06-03-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 08:50 PM   #9
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
^good point
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 12:01 AM   #10
mg92p

Drives: Subaru BRZ S 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by airrick View Post
I think youre misunderstanding what he means. Dyno tunes are expensive. And everytime you get a new turbo part ie. BOV, bigger turbo, injectors, you would need a new dyno tune(since he trying to get the most gains).

Concerned about the price of the tune because he wants to do it once, so yea if youre thinking he’s gonna tune multiple times, uhh dang thats some cash i guess.

^^ this. What's the point of tuning every time i get a new part. Would rather do it all at once.
mg92p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 12:36 AM   #11
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
What system you using?

Power goals?

Internet power points?

Street only?

Track only?

Street and track?

Do you have a budget for spare or upgraded gearbox if your going to "send it"?

Same for stock engine?

My 2017 86 made 270hpatw, AVO, 2.5" overpipe, stock decatted front pipe, stock cat back, stock airfilter, oil temps were fine with only a Forester heat exchanger.

Clutch didn't slip either.

What you use the car for will determine the additional required parts or upgrades.

Talk to the guy who is going to tune the car, and by that I mean on a dyno, with a tuner who is actually good.

Not all tuners are good, they all say they are though.

Don't skimp out on the tuning, this is the most part of the build, both for power and, more importantly, reliability.

Don't look for a big number, look for a tuner who will get the best out of your car with a safe and reliable tune.

Enjoy
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 03:34 AM   #12
airrick

Drives: TRD R.S. 1.0 FRS
Quote:
^^ this. What's the point of tuning every time i get a new part. Would rather do it all at once.
Yup, if youre dyno tuning all the more, they'll be more expensive since you'll need to schedule an appointment for time for the dyno and all that. I chose a E-tune with a well-known tuner. What really matter is the tuner is good, a dyno will always help with tuning, but if your tuner is actually good, shouldn't be the end of the world.
airrick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to airrick For This Useful Post:
BRZ_88 (06-06-2020)
Old 06-06-2020, 04:03 AM   #13
BRZ_88
Imperator

Drives: Supercharged 2013 BRZ Limited
Quote:
Hi all,

Prior to supercharging, I did what you're doing and got wide rear wheels and stiffer coils.

I opted for E85, if you want to go that route too you will need a new fuel pump and injectors. Injector size really depends on what turbo/SC kit you're running.

I'm not sure what regulations are like where you are, but catless headers will give you a noticable power (and noise) increase, if that's not an option a hi flow cat will help too but they aren't cheap. After a lot of research I found that catbacks don't really do a lot for the money, I just got an axleback for the sound and weight saving.

Tuning wise I got an Ecutek E tune through FT86. You send your tuner a full list of parts you're installing, then he'll give you a starting tune so you can send him logs and he'll tweak it until it's right.
BRZ_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:33 AM   #14
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZ_88 View Post

Tuning wise I got an Ecutek E tune through FT86. You send your tuner a full list of parts you're installing, then he'll give you a starting tune so you can send him logs and he'll tweak it until it's right.

E tunes are decent, but the advantage in the dyno tuning is real time safety. If something wasn't working right, the tuner could notice right away. "Oh stop, it shouldn't be hesitating here" or "whoa hold up that afr is way lean" isn't possible when they just send a basemap and say "send it and hopefully you installed everything perfectly"
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
airrick (06-06-2020), Tcoat (06-06-2020)