follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-26-2020, 03:24 PM   #1
prandelia

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
IRP shifter - input needed

Is/has anybody been using the IRP shifter for some time on track/racing? I'm trying to understand if a shifter like this (that is super short/fast) causes accelerated wear on the FRS gearbox/synchros? The shifts are so short, you can't really "slow" down shifting with an IRP.

The gearbox is already a weak point, would be nice to hear if anybody else has been using one for a while without any issues that they know of, so I can feel confident in investing more money in upgraded gearboxes from Jacks. My motor/trans/diff are already solidly mounted, so going to a chassis mount isn't a problem.

Thanks for any input.

prandelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 03:29 PM   #2
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
I'm over 2 years on mine and no issues. I find that I need to be more deliberate with my shifts. Using one for the first time kinda messes with your timing since the shifts are so much shorter, but you get used to it.

No noticeable change in syncro feel.
Setgo (06-01-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 03:41 PM   #3
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tough to pin a direct cause on it, but I know someone who installed the IRP shifter and within months he was having engagement issues. He eventually replaced the transmission

I don't know if he re-installed
No idea if causation was that the transmission had existing damage, or if the installation was causing a problem.
@Setgo
DarkPira7e is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 05:30 PM   #4
prandelia

Thanks. I've raced others cars with IRP shifters, so I know exactly what they feel like and effort involved, they are phenomenal on track, but every gearbox is different, and ours doesn't inspire confidence so I'm not looking to make an update that may substantially hinder reliability.

It's just such a hard effect to try and pinpoint.

I think it's important to note that my car is 100% track, and when 100% of your upshifts are at 7500 RPM, or high RPM downshifts, that is a massive difference than street driving with occasional canyon driving, or WOT rips in a single gear. So if somebody has had one for a few years and this is their typical use, it may not be very relevant, although I appreciate it as a data point in general.

Old 05-26-2020, 06:07 PM   #5
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
I have about a dozen track days on it during that time.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:12 PM   #6
prandelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I have about a dozen track days on it during that time.

Old 06-01-2020, 06:20 AM   #7
Setgo

Drives: '13 Subaru BRZ Crystal Black Silica
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Hey so DarkPira7e tagged me, so I did experience lockouts, constant readjusting, and synchro issues. Its possible that the irp made my synchros wear faster but I have many supporting mods to make sure my transmission moved as little as possible, and that the irp was always in spec. My verdict that there were two factors that made my shifting experience terrible. It was my clutch (cause of lockouts possibly) and my transmission fluid. Everyone swears by this product for transmission fluid but I swear it's the culprit behind my gears wearing out.

I did buy a new transmission like he said, I'll be running redline instead, and buttoning everything up. Hopefully this all fixed it. We will see. But I feel that the irp wasn't the biggest factor. It mounts to the chassis and barely moves, but I did have to adjust the set screws more, but also that's when I changed fluids too. Ack, so many factors.
Setgo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Setgo For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (06-01-2020), Ohio Enthusiast (06-01-2020)
Old 06-01-2020, 08:49 AM   #8
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setgo View Post
My verdict that there were two factors that made my shifting experience terrible. It was my clutch (cause of lockouts possibly) and my transmission fluid. Everyone swears by this product for transmission fluid but I swear it's the culprit behind my gears wearing out.

I did buy a new transmission like he said, I'll be running redline instead
That's interesting, and seems to jibe with the somewhat common claim that since Motul is a GL-5 fluid it's incompatible with brass synchros, despite Motul's claim of a GL-4/GL-5 rating and peoples' experience of it. How long did you use the Motul and how long until problems started and the transmission failed?
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 03:04 PM   #9
Setgo

Drives: '13 Subaru BRZ Crystal Black Silica
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
That's interesting, and seems to jibe with the somewhat common claim that since Motul is a GL-5 fluid it's incompatible with brass synchros, despite Motul's claim of a GL-4/GL-5 rating and peoples' experience of it. How long did you use the Motul and how long until problems started and the transmission failed?
So I installed it at 88k miles and road it to about 108k, so 20k miles roughly. I was constantly adjusting the irp because I thought that's what it was. But after contact irp they said it shouldn't be the case. They are even sending me new bushings, etc because maybe the just the slight used washer may account for something. So I switched over to redline mt90 because it is gl1, gl3, and gl4. So we will see. It is worth noting that after dropping my transmission that my clutch also had many hot spots and had 20k miles on it too. It was an ACT clutch. Love the company but I went with exedy this time.
Setgo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Setgo For This Useful Post:
Ohio Enthusiast (06-01-2020)
Old 06-01-2020, 04:02 PM   #10
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Slight offtopic. I too switched to redline & it improved subjective gear switch feel (w. stock shifter though, not IRP, and with also perrin gearbox & tranny bushings) .. but MTL, not MT oil.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:43 PM   #11
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Slight offtopic. I too switched to redline & it improved subjective gear switch feel (w. stock shifter though, not IRP, and with also perrin gearbox & tranny bushings) .. but MTL, not MT oil.
Doesn't our transmission require 75W90? Why did you go with the MTL (which is 75W80)?
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 01:46 AM   #12
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Well, one thing is single-out viscosity parameters at temps, for gearbox oil also it's frictional parameters matter for synchros to engage well. While true, manual of ours states should be GL-4 75W90, it's not as if all the rest are unusable. For engine also after all not just one 0W-20 possible, but manual mentions also 5W-30. And some do fill different, for a bit higher pressure on tracked car.
At some point in past esotericperformance tried out multiple oils (#1 #2) and had best results with Redline MTL (+GB/TM bushings), my experience was similar (have tried OE oil (obviously), Motul 300 (of stock-ish 75W90), Verus's suggested Torco Synchrotech MTF, and Redline MTL 75W80. Best shifting feel was with later. Motul & MTF felt slightly better then OE, but MTL+bushings felt best).
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Ohio Enthusiast (06-02-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 12:49 PM   #13
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
I've used a short throw shifter for about 3 years now (TRD).

I didn't notice any significant change with shifting over that time, with track days and 60k miles of daily driving & heel-toe shifting.
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote