follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-26-2020, 07:53 PM   #15
86GTDriver

Drives: TRD Pro Tundra and 4Runner
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessAzure View Post
I'd aim for handling first, power after. You get the most bang-for-the-buck from the car's handling.

Get a tune with a good tuning shop, rather than FT86SF.

Same with the header; get a known make. For that price, you can get a nice JDL header

Stick with stock intake system. The factory airbox is very efficient, and aftermarket intakes don't add enough to warrant the extra cost. All it might need is a drop-in high performance filter.

Highly recommend, esp for FI and spirited driving: oil cooler

Don't be afraid to buy used in some areas.

Finally: pass on the fancy rotors. Blank OEM or OEM-Replacement rotors do fine. Spend money where it counts: good pads and brake fluid.
2nd Oil Cooler mention, guess I really need to get on learing more about that!

Couple of down votes on the speedfactory header too. Maybe need to rethink that route.
86GTDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:55 PM   #16
86GTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
I don't know if underrated is the word is use. It also depends on what the goal is for the car. I do agree that they should drive it factory for a while and decide to upgrade from there. Not everyone is content with great handling but only momentum power. I was sure that I'd be happy with stock. 3 years later 330whp feels pretty perfect to me
I think I'll be happy with the current power for a bit, but it won't take long before I'm tired of being beat off the line by Accords and Camrys. Especially less than 2 years removed from 400+ HP in my SS.

I'm much happier on the twisties than in a straight line, so 250-300 is probably going to be a good blend for me; but I'll know more as I learn the car!
Old 05-26-2020, 07:57 PM   #17
86GTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
List should include some reinforcement upgrades

- Perrin / Whiteline Positive Shift Kit

- Whiteline Positive traction kit

- Whiteline subframe inserts

- GrimmSpeed master cylinder brace

Some items you can do without like the JDM airbox, but since you're going nice and deep on the mods I guess its fine. I'd recommend the Perrin cold air intake and intake duct instead if you must spend the $300. Or just get a decent K&N filter for the stock airbox.
Thanks, this is the kind of stuff I was looking for. I really don't know what any of that stuff you listed is/does. More homework!
Old 05-26-2020, 08:01 PM   #18
86GTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiske View Post
Alright-y lets make friends. Personally, I'd buy tires, the supercharger then the rest in that order. That way you get the most wow factory right off the bat. Any "stage 2" gains are going to be trivial by comparison.

1. FT86SF UEL Header. Better options out there for cheaper. No reason with the S/C to get a UEL unless you like the broken subie sound.

2. Corsa Catback. Sounds good.

3. Corsa intake. A waste of money. if any money is going to be spent here, just get a drop in panel filter. The intake won't be a limitation until you get into boost... which Harrop uses 1/2 of the OEM intake making this purchase moot anyways.

4. Tein Coilovers. Crap choice IMO. Lurk the 'suspension parts for sale' section any you can easily find a good set of coilover for a couple hundred over your asking price used. Use the money you save from the Corsa intake.

5/6. Great choice on a tire. Jump the wheel size up to an 18" for reasons posted in #10/11

7/8/9. Buy them all at once. You should be able to find a dongle and cable for real cheap used. Then buy the license and a tune from the normal places... HRI, Delicious, Moto East, CSG... I wouldn't go with FT86 simple because your tune would be locked and not editable by another company

10/11. Drop all of this. Just buy a car with the performance package and get a way better setup with less hassle.

12. If your going with JDL, just get the overpipe-front pipe all-in-one combo piece and save some cash. If your only going 2.5 your bound to find a good deal in the used section with a bit of time.

13. HKS duct, worry about this well after you boost the car, and drop a few pulley sizes.

14. See $12.

15. Solid pick but, you better raise that price as the out the door price is going to be closer to $5100.
Thanks for the detailed response!

The Tein got lots of praise from various sources. Since I'm not going to track regularly, I tried to save a bit there. Sounds like your opinion is to spend the additional $$$ on a KW coilover?

Based on what I'm seeing, there's no way to get the performance package with the automatic transmission. So I'll have to do wheel/tire/brakes myself.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:03 PM   #19
86GTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehShirt View Post
Welcome to the forums.

As others have mentioned, the Corsa catback doesn't play nice with an aftermarket header. If you aren't replacing the header and don't mind the chrome tips, I live in the upstate area and have one I recently removed from my '17 BRZ.
I hadn't seen anything about the Corsa not working with aftermarket header? In fact, I picked it and the UEL header based on a youtube video of the sound.

I'm in Easley, SC. Are there any good/reliable tuner shops in the Upstate? My search has only come up with one in Atlanta. I'll need one when I'm ready to start putting this plan into action. I don't mind going to Atlanta since I'm originally from there, but something more local would be far more convenient!
Old 05-26-2020, 08:04 PM   #20
86GTDriver

Thanks to everyone for all the responses so far; keep them coming!
Old 05-26-2020, 08:31 PM   #21
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86GTDriver View Post
Thanks for the detailed response!

The Tein got lots of praise from various sources. Since I'm not going to track regularly, I tried to save a bit there. Sounds like your opinion is to spend the additional $$$ on a KW coilover?

Based on what I'm seeing, there's no way to get the performance package with the automatic transmission. So I'll have to do wheel/tire/brakes myself.

The problem I have with the Flex A is that your so close money wise from breaking out of the entry coilover options. There priced right along side the Bilstein B14 PSS set and just a few hundred below the KW V1's. Never mind the higher-tier street coilovers you can find used.

On these forums, with out high-car turn over rate you can easily find a set of lightly used RCE Tarmac Zero's KW V3, Or Ohlins Road and Track in the private market place for below $1500.

I dive from the do it once and do it right crowd, so anything upgrade, swap out and resell for something late is usually in low regard. Personally the things that keep you on the road (tires, wheel, brakes and suspension.) aren't something I skimp on.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:39 PM   #22
tehShirt

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I hadn't seen anything about the Corsa not working with aftermarket header? In fact, I picked it and the UEL header based on a youtube video of the sound.

I'm in Easley, SC. Are there any good/reliable tuner shops in the Upstate? My search has only come up with one in Atlanta. I'll need one when I'm ready to start putting this plan into action. I don't mind going to Atlanta since I'm originally from there, but something more local would be far more convenient!
I'm in Clemson! Are you working with Toyota of Easley? For shops, I would recommend Pompeii Motorsports in Greenville. They are near Costco/Roper Mountain Rd. I've had nothing but great experiences from them.

The Corsa will work with aftermarket headers, but if it's a catless version you will wake the dead.
tehShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:02 PM   #23
86GTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiske View Post
The problem I have with the Flex A is that your so close money wise from breaking out of the entry coilover options. There priced right along side the Bilstein B14 PSS set and just a few hundred below the KW V1's. Never mind the higher-tier street coilovers you can find used.

On these forums, with out high-car turn over rate you can easily find a set of lightly used RCE Tarmac Zero's KW V3, Or Ohlins Road and Track in the private market place for below $1500.

I dive from the do it once and do it right crowd, so anything upgrade, swap out and resell for something late is usually in low regard. Personally the things that keep you on the road (tires, wheel, brakes and suspension.) aren't something I skimp on.

I agree with that motto.

And I get what you mean about staying on the road. Guess I was putting a little too much faith in online reviews.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:12 PM   #24
86GTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehShirt View Post
I'm in Clemson! Are you working with Toyota of Easley? For shops, I would recommend Pompeii Motorsports in Greenville. They are near Costco/Roper Mountain Rd. I've had nothing but great experiences from them.

The Corsa will work with aftermarket headers, but if it's a catless version you will wake the dead.

We buy from Dave Edwards in Spartanburg, but do our service in Easley. We’ve purchased 3 Toyota’s in the last 5 years (1 from Easley and 2 from Spartanburg); Easley was difficult to deal with for all three and let me go somewhere else over a $500 price difference on my Tundra.

Planning on a catted header with the Corsa.

Thanks for the advice on Pompeii, I’ll have to check them out.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:21 PM   #25
Len A

Drives: 2015 Ice Silver BRZ
Some good advice. I’ll throw in my 2 cents.

I have had my BRZ for 5 years. I drove it stock for first year or so. I identified things I wanted to improve, which for me was clutch feel, shifting and clean up engine bay with the stupid sound tube. I did the clutch height modification, swapped out clutch slave and installed the Mishimoto intake tube and Apexi drop in filter just because.

That helped a bit, but installed the Perrin shifter bushing and STI transmission mount which improved shifting.

These modifications were pretty inexpensive and they improved things I wanted to fix.

Drove it like this for another year or so, then installed camber bolt and new tires (GT Radial SX2 in stock size) to improve handling, but to be honest, not huge difference on street since you can’t push that hard.

So my advice, don’t get sucked in to mod to mod, but drive car and decide what you want to improve and target those things first.

Having said that, I really want the Sprint BBK even through I don’t need it.

Good luck
Len A is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Len A For This Useful Post:
86GTDriver (05-26-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 09:24 PM   #26
HaXx

Drives: jrsc_brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I had so much planned for the brz before I got it, I ended up doing a fraction of it, but doing a whole lot more in other areas that I never dreamed I would accomplish. Making build plans is a genuine pleasure of mine, I'm sure you enjoy it too.

I have really nice street/track coilovers I bought used on this forum, Fortune Auto 500 with Swift Springs, fun to say but, if I had lowering springs on I wouldnt be able to tell the difference. Everyone's different, but I just drive around town and do a track day once a year.

If you get an aggressive catback, you'll probably second guess getting a header, just too loud, obnoxious really, I dont like loud cars that are slow.

I would focus on bang for the buck stuff, that other people notice. This is just me, but if you have $1700 coils, unless it's something that you would actually utilize for its purpose, its money could be spent elsewhere. You could spend so much money on your car, but driving down the road it looks like every other on the lot, but most people aren't as "do it for attention" as me.

You could get VERY NICE used enkeis and tires for 1 thousand, lowering springs, tail lights and a carbon fiber trunk, all said for less than 2 grand. I would supercharge tho.
86GTDriver (05-26-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 09:29 PM   #27
tehShirt

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
We buy from Dave Edwards in Spartanburg, but do our service in Easley. We’ve purchased 3 Toyota’s in the last 5 years (1 from Easley and 2 from Spartanburg); Easley was difficult to deal with for all three and let me go somewhere else over a $500 price difference on my Tundra.

Planning on a catted header with the Corsa.

Thanks for the advice on Pompeii, I’ll have to check them out.
I know someone at the Easley dealer. I would be surprised if they had an 86. I purchased my BRZ from Vic Bailey... Spartanburg is the place to go for cars it seems.

I won't muddy up your thread. Feel free to PM me if you want any more recommendations of local places. I hope you enjoy your 86!
tehShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 12:50 AM   #28
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joveen View Post
What's wrong FT86SF tune and header? Lol.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I just don't find FT86SF to be all that synonymous to performance among the landscape of aftermarket makes. For the same or close to the same money, you can get parts that are.

Sure they have a nice storefront, but I'm hard pressed to buy FT86SF-make parts over their direct competes in the market (headers, short shifter, catback, tune, etc etc). I'm also not particularly fond of their practice of selling OLM products without clear disclosure that it's their in-house brand.

Last edited by EndlessAzure; 05-27-2020 at 01:02 AM.
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote