follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-03-2018, 06:06 PM   #15
subtledriver

Drives: RallyX BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm chiming in here because of some miss-information listed in some of the threads above.

I was so turned off by losing all my write-ups due to photo bucket I gave up on finishing the auto to manual conversion write-up. There are a few different ways to skin a cat. One is removing all the computers and wiring from a doner manual trans car and rewriting the vin number of the recipient car to the doner ecu AND marrying all the body and other system computers to your new setup. (which I can also do) or.... the way I do it, keeping all the computers and wiring you have and making it work with the new transmission with custom firmware.

I do the auto to manual swaps at my shop on the side in San Diego, CA. I worked with a team of master ecu tuners and software engineers to come up with a solution for the swap WITHOUT swapping any modules/engine harness/ and other canbus components from the doner car. This process took many man hours to complete. The conversion requires a special firmware that basically tricks the auto computer into thinking the transmission is still there but functions like a manual swap. It will throw soft codes but nothing that shouldn't allow it to pass smog. (No check engine lights). I did this conversion on my 2016 brz limited with smart key. check out my instagram @subtledriver, the master tuner is listed on my posts about the car.

I have driven about 15k miles daily so far with the conversion and took wins and and several podiums in about 7 races, track, autocross, and off-road rallycross. I offer to do the work on the side over a period of a few days. So drop off the car with all the parts needed and wait about a week for the process and pick it up converted. It costs about 3-4k (sometimes less or more) give or take on average depending on your price on parts and if you have complications on your end.

All you need is transmission components, clutch system components a few wiring tricks on my end and a reflash of the ecu with special engineered firmware custom made for your car.

maybe sometime soon i might post the writeup on the major work if things let up for a few days here at work.
Cole (01-04-2018), MenoSkyz (01-04-2018), Sarlacc (01-03-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 08:08 PM   #16
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtledriver View Post
I'm chiming in here because of some miss-information listed in some of the threads above. ........................
WOW! ....... that's impressive!

All the more reason just to switch cars ......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (01-04-2018), Cole (01-04-2018), Mr.ac (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 02:00 AM   #17
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
WOW! ....... that's impressive!

All the more reason just to switch cars ......

humfrz
All that farting and pushing just to shit out a twig.

Seems like people love to over complicate things. It's not like the twins are super rare car, where you dig through a hay stack to find one. But only to find one that's an auto.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
humfrz (01-04-2018), Leonardo (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 02:26 AM   #18
subtledriver

Drives: RallyX BRZ
The conversion is pretty simple for me. I have seen way too many of these cars with accident and frame damage to sell one with a perfectly straight body and amazing condition engine and go hunt for one with a manual trans that might have a worn or abused motor and possible crash damage. I like knowing what I'm getting. I guess it's a good idea to sell yours and find another that is already stick if your car is falling apart, or been abused or crashed.

I've converted a multitude of vehicles to manual trans over the years. Bmw's, infiniti q45, v8 swapped s13 with manual conversion, 240z with rb26 and manual conversion, honda, brz, ect. Pretty basic stuff. Not rocket science and not that expensive, plus you get to choose what clutch and flywheel you get and there are lots of options along the way. And you can sell the auto as a spare or replacement to offset some of the cost. The difference between the auto and manual cars is about the same value as just doing the comversion. And you can go back to auto in a few simple steps.

It's a very simple conversion, swap transmission, install clutch pedal, few wires get jumped, upload firmware and your car is now a manual.

Or try to sell your car, and find a manual car in same or better condition that is fully paid off with cash from your previous automatic car.
MenoSkyz (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 10:58 AM   #19
MenoSkyz

Drives: Car
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Im replying to a lot people here... thanks for everyone who gave some info though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22R View Post
I think I would research the reasons why people say to just sell and buy a car with a auto if I was you......may be good reason.

22R
Im going to guess that you meant to say manual vice auto?

Auto is definitely great for me, especially since SF BAY AREA traffic is ridiculous and I hated being stuck in stop & go traffic and some stupid steep hills in SF with my old DC2 5 years ago before more tech startups popped-up here.

I just miss being able to shift... although the AT w/ sport mode on is fun as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
....Lastly, and what is the most difficult part of this install, is the decision of which aftermarket shift knob to buy.
I was not expecting that lol. But i appreciate the plethora of information prior to this statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well, Mike, let's hope you come to your senses before that time comes ....... here, let me get you started ........

humfrz
lol only time can tell, it is still awhile before my engine breaks down.(knock on wood) im still under 50k miles for a 2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecarfilmer View Post
I was considering doing this too because I dont want to sell my car (first car, good memories). I honestly dont mind swapping it, just hesitant because I havent a successful swap and I have no idea what needs to be done in order to do so. But sometimes I like my auto so idkkkk
I feel you on that man, my car has some sentimental memories and when i look back on it, purchasing this car by myself when they first released the summer i graduated High School in 2012, actually made me make some life changing decisions. lol

The memories(or hardships) of dropping outta college to work full-time just to make payments.... and then saying fuck it im joining the military to make the payments.... lol but now im back and the cars been paid off, and finally got rid of the mindset I had back in the days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinz View Post
Have you considered just replacing your engine (when it dies) with a rebuilt motor, keeping the auto, and then just buy a second twin with a manual transmission?

Basically spend a little money to keep the auto up to dependable DD condition, don't buy another car for DD duty, and then use that money for your manual twin car.
I actually have considered that, but im not sure exactly which engine im fond of tbh. Lol, i actually wanted to get a twin but thatd be a little redundant and I'd rather just have this car and then a DD/Family car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtledriver View Post
I'm chiming in here because of some miss-information listed in some of the threads above.

I was so turned off by losing all my write-ups due to photo bucket I gave up on finishing the auto to manual conversion write-up. There are a few different ways to skin a cat. One is removing all the computers and wiring from a doner manual trans car and rewriting the vin number of the recipient car to the doner ecu AND marrying all the body and other system computers to your new setup. (which I can also do) or.... the way I do it, keeping all the computers and wiring you have and making it work with the new transmission with custom firmware.

I do the auto to manual swaps at my shop on the side in San Diego, CA. I worked with a team of master ecu tuners and software engineers to come up with a solution for the swap WITHOUT swapping any modules/engine harness/ and other canbus components from the doner car. This process took many man hours to complete. The conversion requires a special firmware that basically tricks the auto computer into thinking the transmission is still there but functions like a manual swap. It will throw soft codes but nothing that shouldn't allow it to pass smog. (No check engine lights). I did this conversion on my 2016 brz limited with smart key. check out my instagram @subtledriver, the master tuner is listed on my posts about the car.

I have driven about 15k miles daily so far with the conversion and took wins and and several podiums in about 7 races, track, autocross, and off-road rallycross. I offer to do the work on the side over a period of a few days. So drop off the car with all the parts needed and wait about a week for the process and pick it up converted. It costs about 3-4k (sometimes less or more) give or take on average depending on your price on parts and if you have complications on your end.

All you need is transmission components, clutch system components a few wiring tricks on my end and a reflash of the ecu with special engineered firmware custom made for your car.

maybe sometime soon i might post the writeup on the major work if things let up for a few days here at work.
Thats dope man, definitely going to check it out!
MenoSkyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:22 AM   #20
Twinz

Drives: 2016 FR-S MT, 2015 Scion FR-S AT,
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MenoSkyz View Post
I actually have considered that, but im not sure exactly which engine im fond of tbh. Lol, i actually wanted to get a twin but thatd be a little redundant and I'd rather just have this car and then a DD/Family car.
My wife drives a 2015 AT FRS and I have a 2016 MT FRS that we autocross. (I drive a company vehicle for work.)

We both prefer the manual on the track and the AT....pretty much everywhere else. (Well, we go to the Tail of the Dragon every year so we want the MT there too)

We have owned a lot of cars between the two of us and the AT FRS is our favorite DD car that either of us has ever owned.

Unless you need a lot of room, you already have an excellent DD. (For people who enjoy driving anyway) -no need to downgrade your DD experience.
Twinz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Twinz For This Useful Post:
86geek (01-04-2018), Leonardo (01-04-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 01:54 AM   #21
michaelneal9900

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Garage
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...=1#post3046165
michaelneal9900 is offline   Reply With Quote