follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-30-2016, 03:01 AM   #1933
muckypuppy

Drives: MY13 SWP BRZ Cosworth 2.3
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCorBUST View Post
@muckypuppy very clean engine bay. Didn't know you had the Cosworth SC kit

Any other shots of the tS steering wheel? Wondering if it is the same thickness as stock, and your impressions of the leather vs stock. Thinking about putting in an order for the visor, cluster, and steering wheel.
Thanks mate ! I couldn't very well let all those sweet STi parts go to waste now could I? The tS wheel is about 1/4 inch thicker in diameter... feels better, looks better and smells better lol.

I threw some more pics up on my photobucket of the steering wheel/ interior and the Recaros as well as a couple of gratuitous ones of my Subies. The TbSTi Liberty (Legacy) probably explains why I went all out on the BRZ
@ DSOmegaX theres also a couple of pics of the front and rear of the tS cluster board.
muckypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to muckypuppy For This Useful Post:
SPCorBUST (01-30-2016)
Old 01-30-2016, 03:35 AM   #1934
SPCorBUST

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by muckypuppy View Post
Thanks mate ! I couldn't very well let all those sweet STi parts go to waste now could I? The tS wheel is about 1/4 inch thicker in diameter... feels better, looks better and smells better lol.

I threw some more pics up on my photobucket of the steering wheel/ interior and the Recaros as well as a couple of gratuitous ones of my Subies. The TbSTi Liberty (Legacy) probably explains why I went all out on the BRZ
@ DSOmegaX theres also a couple of pics of the front and rear of the tS cluster board.
Thanks. I'm considering ordering the cluster, but not quite sure yet - @DSOmegaX is local, so I can see how his goes since I know he's gonna try this, lol.

For now, your pics have completed my shopping list for the night and I just ordered the steering wheel, lol

BTW I was always curious about the silver STI rims on white as well, they look great!

And swapping the LED's on the back... Yeah, that looks like it would be a task...
SPCorBUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:37 AM   #1935
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
STi logos are a nice thing, but I am also worrying about performance. I have seen different BRZ tS marketing videos, but nothing pushing the car hard. Today I found a couple of videos. The car seems to be fast, but still with much oversteer. In the 2nd video the car even loses grip and does a 360° turn. I would expect to be much more planted. Is the driver pushing the car too much or something more is needed (*)?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8wtUctS6d4"]150725 TC2000走行会(BRZ tS) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxaFD955bd4"]#3 AREA86 GYMKHANA MEETING @DP NASU - YouTube[/ame]

(*) I am re-thinking now about the new spring rate specifications from Ohlins. The new specifications were designed in Sweden and not in Japan and have much more softer rear springs (front: 40N/mm, rear: 30N/mm).
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 03:02 AM   #1936
nikitopo

I wanted to say a 180° turn on the 2nd video and not a 360° turn. It appears on 0'48'' .
Old 01-31-2016, 04:48 AM   #1937
quiksiv

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap63 View Post
PM me for the price on those recaros.
quiksiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:40 AM   #1938
DSOmegaX

Drives: '19 M2 Comp, '20 GR Supra
Thanked 2,153 Times in 986 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksiv View Post

Are you asking for what the price on those seats are or you have a price for them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2019 BMW M2 Competition | LBB | ///M Performance Build Thread
2020 Toyota GR Supra | Turbulence | TRD | Build Thread
DSOmegaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:50 AM   #1939
quiksiv

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOmegaX View Post
Are you asking for what the price on those seats are or you have a price for them?

No im asking you, sorry for the confusion.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:00 AM   #1940
DSOmegaX

Drives: '19 M2 Comp, '20 GR Supra
Thanked 2,153 Times in 986 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
No im asking you, sorry for the confusion.

They are listed for about 3000 per seat from STi. But the problem is that because they are equipped with side air bags, they cannot be imported through the "normal" channels such as japanparts (who will not sale it because of the airbags)

2019 BMW M2 Competition | LBB | ///M Performance Build Thread
2020 Toyota GR Supra | Turbulence | TRD | Build Thread
DSOmegaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 06:01 AM   #1941
Trap63

Drives: Brz WRB - Europe LHD
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I don't know the price....but you can buy simple Recaro Spotster SAB CS black/alcantara (or cheaper grade) and rebuild them in leather and alcantara as I am doing.
You need MANDATORY OEM Japan Recaro subframes to install. (on sale by JPP)
These subframes are sold only in Japan (I contacted Recaro HQ in Germany and they told me that they aren't TUV/ECE approved so they don't distribute and sale)

https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/47725

You'll pay less than import them from Japan....(here we pay almost +30% of VAT and custom fees)
I paid here in Europe both passenger than driver (SAB with sidebag) Eur 2,250.00 and subframes from Japan Yen 58,500.00 (with FedeX sending).
Rebuild cost: eur 600.00 (both).
Importing costs at least twice....

Another mention 'bout tS parts not sold:
this front bumper grille cover...isn't sold such as tS badge and other.

but...

Subaru has this part on sale in Europe, the SEBDCA3600 (front trim chrome), only chrome.

http://www.kiessetz-und-schmidt.de/o...tail&item=6098

You can buy the SEBDCA3600 and repaint with this option colour code: GrimmSpeed Cherry Blossom Paint

is the same profile of chrome.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:17 AM   #1942
quiksiv

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap63 View Post
I don't know the price....but you can buy simple Recaro Spotster SAB CS black/alcantara (or cheaper grade) and rebuild them in leather and alcantara as I am doing.
You need MANDATORY OEM Japan Recaro subframes to install. (on sale by JPP)
These subframes are sold only in Japan (I contacted Recaro HQ in Germany and they told me that they aren't TUV/ECE approved so they don't distribute and sale)

https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/47725

You'll pay less than import them from Japan....(here we pay almost +30% of VAT and custom fees)
I paid here in Europe both passenger than driver (SAB with sidebag) Eur 2,250.00 and subframes from Japan Yen 58,500.00 (with FedeX sending).
Rebuild cost: eur 600.00 (both).
Importing costs at least twice....

Another mention 'bout tS parts not sold:
this front bumper grille cover...isn't sold such as tS badge and other.

but...

Subaru has this part on sale in Europe, the SEBDCA3600 (front trim chrome), only chrome.

http://www.kiessetz-und-schmidt.de/o...tail&item=6098

You can buy the SEBDCA3600 and repaint with this option colour code: GrimmSpeed Cherry Blossom Paint

is the same profile of chrome.

Hey thanks for all the info, ive been seat shopping for awhile now and i think those are the only ones that have really caught my eye. Other then ordering the sard covers.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:23 AM   #1943
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
STi logos are a nice thing, but I am also worrying about performance. I have seen different BRZ tS marketing videos, but nothing pushing the car hard. Today I found a couple of videos. The car seems to be fast, but still with much oversteer. In the 2nd video the car even loses grip and does a 360° turn. I would expect to be much more planted. Is the driver pushing the car too much or something more is needed (*)?

(*) I am re-thinking now about the new spring rate specifications from Ohlins. The new specifications were designed in Sweden and not in Japan and have much more softer rear springs (front: 40N/mm, rear: 30N/mm).
How planted a car is really a driving feeling, you can't really gauge that from videos imo.

The draw stiffeners and Bilstein shocks contributed to the more planted feeling to me in everyday driving.

Test drive a 2013 Scion FRS / Toyota 86 with stock suspension? Feels loose compare to a 2013 Subaru BRZ with stock suspension (stiffer front and softer rear?) to me on high speed sweepers.

Last edited by krayzie; 01-31-2016 at 08:41 AM.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (02-01-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 09:45 AM   #1944
nikitopo

Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
The draw stiffeners and Bilstein shocks contributed to the more planted feeling to me in everyday driving.
I can understand the more planted feeling with the Bilstein shocks, but not so much with the draw stiffener. Subaru says the following:

-Do you mean that it is also possible to measure the effects of STI original parts such as the Flexible Draw Stiffener?
Sakata: We can clearly see the effects. If you apply tension on the cross member with the Flexible Draw Stiffener, the car starts turning as soon as you steer, so yes, we can numerically understand this effect of the Flexible Draw Stiffener.

In my logic with the draw stiffener the steering is just more responsive and the car turns quicker. Or in other terms it is just an enhancement of the flexible tower bar. Did you install maybe the draw stiffener together with other parts?

Anyway, my original question was that I expected the BRZ tS to have much less oversteer. I understand the fun car aspect of the original car, but not on a car that it should be much more mature and grown-up. I am not an expert myself, but other companies with racing knowledge have also mentioned this lately.

______
Link of the quote here: http://www.subaru-msm.com/global/news2015/15006.html
The Following User Says Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
Trap63 (01-31-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 07:25 PM   #1945
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
I can understand the more planted feeling with the Bilstein shocks, but not so much with the draw stiffener. Subaru says the following:

-Do you mean that it is also possible to measure the effects of STI original parts such as the Flexible Draw Stiffener?
Sakata: We can clearly see the effects. If you apply tension on the cross member with the Flexible Draw Stiffener, the car starts turning as soon as you steer, so yes, we can numerically understand this effect of the Flexible Draw Stiffener.

In my logic with the draw stiffener the steering is just more responsive and the car turns quicker. Or in other terms it is just an enhancement of the flexible tower bar. Did you install maybe the draw stiffener together with other parts?

Anyway, my original question was that I expected the BRZ tS to have much less oversteer. I understand the fun car aspect of the original car, but not on a car that it should be much more mature and grown-up. I am not an expert myself, but other companies with racing knowledge have also mentioned this lately.

______

It's a RWD car, oversteer/understeer still depends hugely on driver input. You can't fight physics.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chaoskaze For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (02-01-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 10:44 PM   #1946
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:

______
I installed the draw stiffeners after I got the flexible tower bar (as recommended by STI). It feels more planted during cornering. The flexible tower bar alone will give you more responsive initial turn-in but will not give you a more planted feeling from my experience. I also have the pillowball lateral and trailing links on the rear afterwards. STI says they will provide more rear end grip but I find the oversteer tendency is pretty much the same but much more predictable (doesn't feel as dead).

BTW I don't push my car hard as I only spirit drive it on the street so track rats may give you a different review.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (02-01-2016)

Tags
it sucks to be broke, sti omg!