follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-25-2014, 04:35 PM   #1
CzRceCar

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Toyota you're letting us all down.

So I have no idea where to start so I will start off by saying how much I love my FRS. However this is a love hate relationship. Everytime anyone else gets in the car they always at some point say " Hey what is that cricket noise I keep hearing? Is it suppose to sound like that? " The simple answer... no, no it is NOT suppose to sound like that.

I couldn't tell you how many times I have been told well if your exhaust was louder or blah blah blah then you wouldn't even hear it. This is the most ignorant response I get. If you pay almost $30,000 for a car brand new. You expect it to be brand new and not have issues you wouldn't even see in a car with 100,000 miles on the ODO.

Issues:

Fuel Pump Chirping issue (4 trips to the dealer, Replaced twice and still not fixed. Toyota refused the last time to replace it and stated in the service order " No fix is available do not replace "
Driver windows squeak
Condensation in rear tail lights (Fixed after the 3rd trip to the dealer)
Loose Shift knob was replaced twice and I was told no more replacements would be done. In other words I have to spend the money to buy an after market shift knob that wont come loose or the center piece wont pop off.
High beam headlights completely inoperable out of no where. (2 trips to the dealer Now fixed no explanation was given)

The dealer has had my car at one point for 29 days. On the 29th day I come to find out it was sitting on the lot "Fixed" for over a week and a half and they just forgot to call me.

I could go on for hours about how I was mistreated by a specific dealer and even to the point that they mistook Michelin Pilot Super Sport summer tires for what was noted on the repair order as "Noticed racing slicks on vehicle. After market accessory which will void certain warranties"

Of course I was furious they had the nerve to make such a lie and note it on a repair order in an attempt to cover there own. After seeing this mistake I went back to the dealer and the service manager said " Well yeah they are summer tires I have no idea why they put that on there " I then had him create a new repair order that stated there were no racing slicks on the vehicle and it was a mistake.

I have filled for a lemon law claim as this is obviously something that Toyota does not feel is an issue even though it greatly impacts the value of the vehicle and the high beams are a HUGE safety issue.

After Months of back and forth and Toyota just dragging there heels I finally received this letter which I have edited to protect myself.

Here is a video from months ago of one of the issues.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_85viAqRcKk"]Scion FRS Subaru BRZ Fuel Pump Chirp Defect - YouTube[/ame]

And another one just after leaving the dealer being told it was "Fixed"

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqS_8TGdoX8"]Scion/Subaru FRS/BRZ Bird chirp (Fuel Pump Issue) - YouTube[/ame]

The second video was also the time they decided to lie about the tires.

So that is where I am at with this. And that is why I now have a love hate relationship with the car and no love for Toyota.
CzRceCar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CzRceCar For This Useful Post:
Mr.EvoMR (01-25-2014), Nu_era (02-01-2014), Shawnofthedead (02-01-2014), TOTO_86 (01-26-2014)
Old 01-25-2014, 04:54 PM   #2
boredom.is.me
Custom User Title

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Thanked 1,182 Times in 697 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Garage
I'm sorry for the troubles you have had with your dealership, but seriously? Why not go somewhere else to get the work done. Why would you leave your car with the dealership without checking on its status every two or three days?

For the fuel pump, did you go in as soon as new crickets developed? If you did, then wouldn't you expect them to replace it it the same part number.

Driver window squeaks. It's just a seal. Ask for a replacement.

They made sure your condensation issue got fixed right? Yes

Regarding the shift knob, the cap pops off if you screw it down too far. That is something everyone knows. As far being loose, what does that even mean? Describe "loose".

Did they fix your high beams? Yes

Ya they really were full of shit with the tire thing, but they did fix the issue right? Yes

There is no reason to lemon law your car. Your issue is with the dealership (and possibly your impatience). How did you approach the dealership? Did you ever give them little pointers here and there about "what you've read on the forum"?

These are just simple things that we all deal with (aside from the head light). With that said, I find this rant to unnecessary. Toyota (the company) didn't do anything out of the norm. I'm not trying to be an ass or anything, but your entire post is one sided as well.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:00 PM   #3
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Cliffs:

Dealer is a douche
Crickets (common to have weird sounds on most DI vehicles) are really pissing OP off...
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Lonewolf For This Useful Post:
boredom.is.me (01-25-2014), Ganthrithor (01-31-2014), HunterGreene (01-27-2014), Mr.EvoMR (01-25-2014), Nasty Sausage (01-27-2014), sklimo (01-31-2014), SoCal909 (01-27-2014), strat61caster (01-26-2014), z3ro (01-27-2014)
Old 01-25-2014, 05:53 PM   #4
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Sorry... crickets isn't a reason to try and lemon law the car...
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Poodles For This Useful Post:
Ingen (01-31-2014)
Old 01-25-2014, 06:04 PM   #5
ciro

Drives: Scion FR-S
I highly doubt you will succeed with the lemon law claim. You are not having issues that make your car unsafe or pose as a hazard to others. Just wait for the crickets to be fixed or start filling your car with something other then mixed gas/ethanol. I used to have crickets and have never had my pump replaced just filled it with non-oxy for a while and now its cold so no crickets.

As for the other cosmetic issues you should learn to not screw down the shifter knob so tightly that it breaks. Try blue thread locker that will solve your issues. The headlights are most likely a grounding issue and could be fixed by any other service shop that knows what they are doing. you could even make the dealership pay for the repair that they could not fix. Window squeaking issues can be solved with a new strip, can it really be so obnoxious that you cant stand it?

On a personal note for yourself learn to hate the stealership and get a set of tools, take it to a reputable shop or don't complain about getting bad fixes from less then trained service techs the dealerships hire. I understand your frustration but as was stated above you could have called and checked up on your vehicle, dealers don't care about you, they care about the money and spending the least amount of time with a customer as possible. Don't take what I have wrote as being negative towards you, use it as a learning experience.
ciro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:14 PM   #6
txptkxhse3291

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S 6MT Raven
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
woe...
Old 01-26-2014, 12:58 AM   #7
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Depending on your state... most likely you'll qualify for lemon law.

My Nissan Altima was a lemon because it had a lot of rattles and brake pedal squeaks.

From my Lemon Lawyer's website

Quote:
A new car is considered a “lemon” under the following circumstances:

If it is covered by warranty;
If it substantially reduces the car’s use, value, or safety;
If it cannot be repaired after a “reasonable” number of attempts;
If you have had repeat similar problems with your vehicle..
No one wants a high pitched squeaking car.

Is it covered by warranty? Yes. So far it's been replaced under warranty multiple times.
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N1rve For This Useful Post:
Hakuzen (01-26-2014)
Old 01-26-2014, 08:32 AM   #8
Norton 850

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Well you have every right to be irritated; your dealer's performance appears to be abominable.

At this point I believe you're jaded, no matter how the Toyota National Center for Dispute Settlement responds to your case.

So if it were me I would unload the car quickly and get something like the Volkswagen GTI, or even the new Miata; the retractable hard-top is pretty slick.
Norton 850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:47 PM   #9
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Volkswagen means what the OP posted is just a walk in the park in comparison ROFL! Hangout on Vortex much?
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:06 PM   #10
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
Volkswagen means what the OP posted is just a walk in the park in comparison ROFL! Hangout on Vortex much?
Seriously, you don't know what real problems are until you own a VW....
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lonewolf For This Useful Post:
andrew20195 (01-27-2014), krayzie (01-26-2014), Nasty Sausage (01-27-2014), SirBrass (01-26-2014)
Old 01-26-2014, 01:22 PM   #11
G.I.Choe

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS Argento
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The best thing I did for my FR-S was going to a more reputable dealership for service. Haven't had a problem since.
G.I.Choe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to G.I.Choe For This Useful Post:
SirBrass (01-26-2014)
Old 01-26-2014, 01:38 PM   #12
Pete156
I like to eat!

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Wow! I have racing slicks on my car and didn't even know it
Pete156 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete156 For This Useful Post:
Marchy (01-27-2014)
Old 01-26-2014, 01:40 PM   #13
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
My parents got my grandmother's gently driven (she never missed a service appointment & only drove occasionally in town) 2000 Beetle when she had to surrender her license. However, a few years later, the weirdest problems developed in some of the parts (like issues with the instrument cluster) but VW refused to replace b/c apparently they'd discontinued support. This car was less than 10 years old, but the issues were nasty & complex.

VW really made that car hard to work on unless one had all these proprietary tools. At least that's what I was told then (and I didn't know much about cars then).

It's put me off from considering VW ever, to the point of getting a VW never even occurring to me.

Who knows if they've cleaned up their act in these regards. They might have, but I'd never know about it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:48 PM   #14
BlueDubbinTDI

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2012 MCS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post

My used 2010 Golf TDI has had less rattles and chirps between 23000 and 41000 miles than my FR-S has between 168 and 7100 miles...
BlueDubbinTDI is offline   Reply With Quote