follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 03-24-2022, 05:53 PM   #1
lapsio

Drives: 2020 BRZ Final Edition, 1999 MX5 NB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Standalone Android box that works with 2020 BRZ?

Hi, after Google started to more aggressively come after 3rd party Android apps for Android Auto, I decided to look for some standalone Android box. So I decided to bite a bullet and order some Indiegogo startup - Carbotics Carplay2Droid-4G box.

Aaand well it doesn't work, enters boot loop, head unit in BRZ flaps usb ports and in general it doesn't work at all. Device itself doesn't seem to be faulty since it works with literally any other car I tried - Skoda Superb, Merc GLB, Audi A3. It's just BRZ infotainment that sucks and doesn't work. It's actually not my first problem with BRZ infotainment - for half a year my Android phone didn't work either. It took about 6 months of system updates to get it to work with BRZ. So I believe AA / Carplay support in BRZ seems to be really... fussy.

So did anyone try some device like this and managed to get it to work? I see that there's plenty of boxes like those on Amazon if you search "android 10 ai box" but I'd like get something verified to work with clumsy OEM BRZ infotainment. YOLO buying everything just to realize 90% of them don't work, doesn't seem to be good idea

Here's how my current box crashes usb ports in my BRZ (music pendrive disappears from infotainment and few moments later subaru power cycles both usb ports)

lapsio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 11:50 AM   #2
thdremily

Drives: 2005 Audi TT, 2020 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Resolution

Seeing as this appears to be the only existing evidence of anyone online having this issue, I'm bumping as I have the same problem. I would love to have one of these work in my car, but the one I purchased (MMB Max) clearly is not compatible with the OEM headunit in a 2020, the seller has said that there is a firmware update yet to come which will add the OEM headunit to the list of headunits compatible, however the manufacturer (JoyeAuto) has not gotten back to me confirming this.

I'm curious if OP had any luck finding an AI Box which does work with the Subaru head unit or if they discovered anything else regarding how to address getting one of these to work with the stock head unit, it is rather frustrating to me that I can't seem to find any reliable info about which specific vehicles these things are compatible with but, that's life shopping for these sorts of things I guess

Thanks!
thdremily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 09:54 PM   #3
thdremily

Drives: 2005 Audi TT, 2020 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Talking Solution found!

Happy to report that after much waiting and emailing back and forth with the company Joyeauto, who produces MMB products, they emailed me and released a software update which rectified the incompatibility between the MMB Max and the Subaru head units. Mine works 100% now and honestly I couldn't be happier. Super snappy interface, install whatever apps you want, very crisp video playback and interface, and it runs apps pretty well for what it is, and is super customizable.

To sum up, I can attest that the MMB Max now works with the Subaru BRZ head units and I am pleasantly surprised, as I honestly thought I was out of sight out of mind to them one I stopped hearing form their email correspondence.
thdremily is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thdremily For This Useful Post:
bcj (10-12-2022)

Tags
android, android carplay, androidauto, infotainment, oem