follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 08-18-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
jpit

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Need some audio help

I am replacing the speakers in my BRZ with some Infinity 60.9CS components. The door speakers work fine (replaced the stock amp) but I can seem to get any audio power to the tweeter (which will be replacing the 3 1/2" and tweeter) in the front. I have studied the wiring diagram and can see the + and - going to the mid and the tweeter. However the tweeter has four wires going to it and don't know what the other two do. Do they have to be connected some how to complete the circuit?
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
jpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:33 AM   #2
gily25

Drives: Silica BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Possible they're getting power but no frequencies that high.

Are you installing a component set with it's own crossover or new components and using the factory wiring which presumably has its own crossover somewhere inline (I haven't reviewed the audio wiring yet). You added an aftermarket amp but kept the oem head unit? Where do you have the amp crossed over?
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
jpit

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Was able to finally figure out the wiring. Acoustic power is delivered to the tweeter first (left hand: red - and white +) and then on to the mid range speaker. That is why there are four wires going to the tweeter. The two front speakers have capacitors on the back to limit frequency response. I removed both of those speakers and added the infinity tweeter and crossover in that location. I have the door speakers connected to an Alpine amp with the high pass filter set at 80 hz. I have an Infinity 10" Bass Link in the trunk. The sound is a quantum leap over the stock system which I found to sound very harsh.
jpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:39 PM   #4
pcporo
No Martians here?

Drives: FR-S Asphalt MT
Garage
so if I were to replace the stock tweeter with an aftermarket 1" and leave the stock 3.5" alone for now, any way I could use the stock wiring? The aftermarket tweeter would just have two wires of course
pcporo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:31 AM   #5
cruzinbill

Drives: Argento 6spd FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcporo View Post
so if I were to replace the stock tweeter with an aftermarket 1" and leave the stock 3.5" alone for now, any way I could use the stock wiring? The aftermarket tweeter would just have two wires of course
bridge the 4 pin connector(pos with pos, neg with neg) But, doing this without changing your door woofer is gonna cause problems. You would leave a gap in freq that the 3.5 used to cover. Now, if you want to keep stock wiring and amp you are gonna need to find a woofer that will play up to at least ~2khz cleanly. Put it in the door and let it naturally roll off. Then bridge the dash wiring and hook it to a tweeter with a cap to limit it from playing lower levels.

In the end tho, you still wont have something that sounds very good because of poor factory amplification. You would be best replacing the factory amp and using a 2 way component set. You can still use the door harness to deliver power to the crossover, then run a new run of wire to the dash.
cruzinbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #6
sparks

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Coming from the head unit, door speakers use the amp, a +/- goes into the tweeter and a +/- is passed through to the mid.
Attached Images

2013 BRZ Preimum #452 - Sterling Silver
sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #7
pcporo
No Martians here?

Drives: FR-S Asphalt MT
Garage
thanks for the info. Exactly what I needed. I will be replacing the amp and door speakers as well. Was just trying to be lazy and use existing wiring. Think it will end up easier to redo it all. Thanks for the diagram tho, great info
pcporo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:09 PM   #8
cruzinbill

Drives: Argento 6spd FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcporo View Post
thanks for the info. Exactly what I needed. I will be replacing the amp and door speakers as well. Was just trying to be lazy and use existing wiring. Think it will end up easier to redo it all. Thanks for the diagram tho, great info
good choice.
cruzinbill is offline   Reply With Quote