follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 09-18-2022, 11:24 AM   #15
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
i feel like that's a terrible concept though. as we all saw with the valve spring recall, human application, especially non-specifically-trained-human-application of rtv is much more likely to fail and be a problem.

so in a lot of ways, once one opens the pan and re-applies rtv, there's just as much of a possibility that their own work will fail, leading to repeated concerns that are justifiable enough to open the pan again, and again, and again.

for those that are concerned, it's literally 'best' to drop the oil pan EVERY oil change...
Disagree.
First off the prior issue was the timing cover not the oil pan. There are many many more ways to screw up doing the timing cover.
Secondly a big part of the first issue was improper clean up or hasty application. Take your time to do it right and there is no greater risk by the human hand.
Finally I have seen manufacturing robots screw up on at least a weekly basis for the last 35 years. I have far more trust in doing something by hand than I ever will in a robot.
soundman98 (09-18-2022), x808drifter (09-19-2022)
Old 09-18-2022, 03:31 PM   #16
mycrors7

Drives: zd8 brz
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Or...

Pull the pan.
Clean out anything you find.
CAREFULLY apply new sealant.
Reinstall stock pan as is.
Change the oil on a regular basis.

The probability of getting new chunks breaking off on an ongoing basis is remote. It is much more likly it is a one time clean.
while i do agree with you,

having the access hole there will allow for future long term maintenance when stuff has to get taken apart and put back together.. everyone makes mistakes; humans and machines.
mycrors7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mycrors7 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-18-2022)
Old 09-18-2022, 03:44 PM   #17
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrors7 View Post
while i do agree with you,

having the access hole there will allow for future long term maintenance when stuff has to get taken apart and put back together.. everyone makes mistakes; humans and machines.
But at some point you need to draw a line at how many "maintenance points" you put in. Adding a custom access hole to an oil pan completely crosses that line for me. It is another potential failure point and serves no purpose unless you think that sealant is going to build up for the life of the car. It won't. If it does then having an access hole will be of little help since there will be much bigger issues.
mycrors7 (09-18-2022)
Old 09-18-2022, 04:00 PM   #18
mycrors7

Drives: zd8 brz
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
But at some point you need to draw a line at how many "maintenance points" you put in. Adding a custom access hole to an oil pan completely crosses that line for me. It is another potential failure point and serves no purpose unless you think that sealant is going to build up for the life of the car. It won't. If it does then having an access hole will be of little help since there will be much bigger issues.
youre definitely correct.

im sure there will be a few who are paranoid that will go through with modifying their original oil pan to make an access hole. I cant see myself doing that.

i also dont see myself opening my oil pan very often either to even bother checking. when the time comes ill pop it open to clean(or pay a dealer to do so, just to play it safe and have it on record to avoid potential future warranty issues if my motor goes kaboom)
mycrors7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mycrors7 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-18-2022)
Old 09-18-2022, 10:51 PM   #19
villainous_frx
Off to the track!

Drives: '14 Lava 86, '13 WRB BRZ
Thanked 1,150 Times in 462 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
human application, especially non-specifically-trained-human-application of rtv is much more likely to fail and be a problem.

so in a lot of ways, once one opens the pan and re-applies rtv, there's just as much of a possibility that their own work will fail, leading to repeated concerns that are justifiable enough to open the pan again, and again, and again.
I replaced my oil pan in the summer of '21 and it was pretty stressful but has been leak free. Following the service manual to the letter and the advice of a half dozen friends who had already performed the task allowed me to do it without issue. Could most people do it correctly? Probably, but I wouldn't be shocked if a number of people managed to completely bungle it.

Side note, when I did this job I cleared the strainer on the oil pick up (early '14 build date iirc) and it had a singular piece of sealant so small I don't think I bothered to take a photo.
Old 09-18-2022, 11:24 PM   #20
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,516 Times in 18,918 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Inspection port? Come on. You get a whole tube of glue. Practice a couple times. No rule says you can only do it once. Cinch it up almost tight and take it apart. More? Less? You'll know.
Old 09-18-2022, 11:47 PM   #21
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
with the right sized inspection port, one could smear the rtv around the inside of the pan to keep it from oozing too much...
villainous_frx (09-19-2022)
Old 09-25-2022, 05:12 PM   #22
Mcgiiver

Drives: 2022 BRZ Premium, 2009 Toyota Tacom
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Same idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrors7 View Post
You can save yourself a headache and just drill an access hole right under the pickup, weld on a bung and place a second drain plug there.

Pull the oil pan once. Seal it up, and check it every oil change
I was just thinking the same thing. However, would the exhaust pipes still be in the way of the new access port? Would still need to remove the floor pan or cut an access port in that?
Mcgiiver is offline   Reply With Quote