follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 09-07-2016, 09:38 AM   #15
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanFRS View Post

It's not that it is "totaled", it is more of a worry of things to come. I figured when I posted this that I would get plenty of the "86-can-do-no-wrong"ers on here. Bubbly paint rust on a car after 3 years is pretty unacceptable in my opinion but we are all entitled to our own opinions.
Metal rusts, this is an indisputable fact of nature so welcome to reality. The part in question is a light tin strip with hardly any paint that has the sole function of holding a piece of rubber in place. It is not a body panel or any other form of structural component and the fact it has a rust spot on it is meaningless. You are presenting as if your fender is going to fall off at any second when the reality is not even close.
I took a huge stone hit to my fender 2 weeks after I got the car and decided as an experiment to leave it bare. After two years and two very salty Ontario winters it is just now starting to develop a slight coating of surface rust.
These are not 1980s Dodge Omnis that rusted out in a year if you passed through a sprinkler and one spot on a cheap sub, sub, sub component is not an indication of "things to come".
Come back and show us when your rocker panel or wheel well edges start bubbling and maybe you will get some sympathy.
asmallchild (09-07-2016), Ultramaroon (09-07-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 11:52 AM   #16
DylanFRS
Lost in Kansas

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS (Raven)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Metal rusts, this is an indisputable fact of nature so welcome to reality. The part in question is a light tin strip with hardly any paint that has the sole function of holding a piece of rubber in place. It is not a body panel or any other form of structural component and the fact it has a rust spot on it is meaningless. You are presenting as if your fender is going to fall off at any second when the reality is not even close.
I took a huge stone hit to my fender 2 weeks after I got the car and decided as an experiment to leave it bare. After two years and two very salty Ontario winters it is just now starting to develop a slight coating of surface rust.
These are not 1980s Dodge Omnis that rusted out in a year if you passed through a sprinkler and one spot on a cheap sub, sub, sub component is not an indication of "things to come".
Come back and show us when your rocker panel or wheel well edges start bubbling and maybe you will get some sympathy.
Yep, we'll see, one of us will be eating our words for sure, only time will tell. I am sure you'll still be a condescending prick regardless of the outcome.

Thread has been done for days. I posted to see if this was a common problem other people were having, it's not.
DylanFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:42 PM   #17
Tcoat

Quote:

It's not that it is "totaled", it is more of a worry of things to come. I figured when I posted this that I would get plenty of the "86-can-do-no-wrong"ers on here. Bubbly paint rust on a car after 3 years is pretty unacceptable in my opinion but we are all entitled to our own opinions.
Quote:
Yep, we'll see, one of us will be eating our words for sure, only time will tell. I am sure you'll still be a condescending prick regardless of the outcome.

Thread has been done for days. I posted to see if this was a common problem other people were having, it's not.
Seems you just posted yesterday so not sure how the thread was "done". That many people stated it was a bolt on part and not indicative of body rust seems to have aggravated you somehow and you felt a need to be derogative. You are correct. Time will tell but let's not get everybody all worked up over a $15 tin strip shall we?
Old 09-07-2016, 01:14 PM   #18
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:

Need to grow a thicker skin. Everyone's rusts. People just don't sweat it.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:23 PM   #19
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Looks at brake discs

Sees rust

seppuku

Last edited by DAEMANO; 09-07-2016 at 01:43 PM.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
Cole (11-28-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 01:33 PM   #20
DylanFRS
Lost in Kansas

Quote:
Anyone else having this problem?

I live in Wichita, it snows like twice a year here. Car is garaged every night. I have never sprayed down the engine bay.
Yep, getting people worked up... "Sky is falling" post right there.

My last post before @DAEMANO posted "Totaled" was 8/22... Sure, I responded to his "Totaled" post because I thought it was a pretty **** move in what had been a very serious thread up till then.

Honestly, I can take the car for what it is. I like my car. My post wasn't "OMG CAR RUSTING SELL NOW BURN TO GROUND!"

I thought the whole thread was pretty reasonable, a picture and asking if anyone else had the issue. Everyone had nice, constructive responses until you guys came on board like the 86 mafia or something. "Someone said something bad about the 86 guys, get your pitchforks and torches, we gonna be internet hangin' some chump today."
Old 09-07-2016, 01:36 PM   #21
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
But we didn't. I don't see anything but some lighthearted ribbing. I'm the first guy to move on when a thread gets mean spirited. I hate that stuff.

This is going to get worse for you because you're twisting on the hook.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:46 PM   #22
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Garage
Quote:
Yep, getting people worked up... "Sky is falling" post right there.

My last post before @DAEMANO posted "Totaled" was 8/22... Sure, I responded to his "Totaled" post because I thought it was a pretty **** move in what had been a very serious thread up till then.

Honestly, I can take the car for what it is. I like my car. My post wasn't "OMG CAR RUSTING SELL NOW BURN TO GROUND!"

I thought the whole thread was pretty reasonable, a picture and asking if anyone else had the issue. Everyone had nice, constructive responses until you guys came on board like the 86 mafia or something. "Someone said something bad about the 86 guys, get your pitchforks and torches, we gonna be internet hangin' some chump today."
Aww don't be all like that and everything. We wouldn't joke with you if we didn't love you. Look, truth is, in your pic it's a tiny bit of surface rust on an inconsequential part after a few years. If it's bugging you, scrub it off, repaint the area and it'll be fine. What others are trying to say, is that all cars rust a little and not to be worried. Its totally fine.

Now seriously, go look at your brakes.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:49 PM   #23
DylanFRS
Lost in Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
But we didn't. I don't see anything but some lighthearted ribbing. I'm the first guy to move on when a thread gets mean spirited. I hate that stuff.

This is going to get worse for you because you're twisting on the hook.
I don't see any "ribbing", light or not. I called out @Tcoat on his condescending attitude and post. (you disagree that it is?) That's the closest thing to "ribbing" I see.

I don't like being talked down to because I find bubbling paint to be a concern on a 3-year old car. Structural or not. I find the answer of "just deal with it" to be pretty shitty.

@Ultramaroon you're one of the only people that actually offered a real solution. Thank you for that.

I just have no patience on this forum anymore for 86 white knights that take every problem with the car and say "don't worry about it". My hope in the original post was that other people had this problem and someone could give some advice on fixing it, like sanding and repainting. Several people did. Those people make this community better. "Cars rust, deal with it homie." Is not constructive.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:54 PM   #24
DylanFRS
Lost in Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
Aww don't be all like that and everything. We wouldn't joke with you if we didn't love you. Look, truth is, in your pic it's a tiny bit of surface rust on an inconsequential part after a few years. If it's bugging you, scrub it off, repaint the area and it'll be fine. What others are trying to say, is that all cars rust a little and not to be worried. Its totally fine.

Now seriously, go look at your brakes.
Not even in the same ball park. Rust that has started bubbling paint is hardly surface rust. If left unchecked, it will rust that piece out. Rotors are untreated steel, they are intended to get a layer of surface rust. That painted support is not intended to rust. Especially not under the paint.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:05 PM   #25
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Garage
Quote:
Not even in the same ball park. Rust that has started bubbling paint is hardly surface rust. If left unchecked, it will rust that piece out. Rotors are untreated steel, they are intended to get a layer of surface rust. That painted support is not intended to rust. Especially not under the paint.
Well, you asked people's opinion in an open forum and got it. If it didn't reinforce yours, that happens occasionally. It's the way of the world. Try to take it easy and enjoy your time here DylanFRS.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:28 PM   #26
Tcoat

Quote:

Quote:
I don't see any "ribbing", light or not. I called out @Tcoat on his condescending attitude and post. (you disagree that it is?) That's the closest thing to "ribbing" I see.

I don't like being talked down to because I find bubbling paint to be a concern on a 3-year old car. Structural or not. I find the answer of "just deal with it" to be pretty shitty.

@Ultramaroon you're one of the only people that actually offered a real solution. Thank you for that.

I just have no patience on this forum anymore for 86 white knights that take every problem with the car and say "don't worry about it". My hope in the original post was that other people had this problem and someone could give some advice on fixing it, like sanding and repainting. Several people did. Those people make this community better. "Cars rust, deal with it homie." Is not constructive.
I responded what appeared to be a slur to those that contributed earlier and the fact you repeated it confirms my suspicion that it was.

The response to many of those little problems is indeed "don't worry about it". Many a person has had their mind set to ease about something by the responses here.

Your original post did not ask what you could do and your last one just complains that it is unacceptable with the indication you feel time will tell how bad the whole car will rust.

My statement did not say "deal with it" anyplace. Cars do rust. Always have. Always will. You still seem to maintain that the rust on a little strip is indicative that the whole car is doomed. I simply stated that is not true.

Did you really need to have somebody tell you to sand and repaint it?

You come on like a freight train at a simple "totaled" joke and then cry foul when you get responses to your sarcasm?
Old 09-07-2016, 02:30 PM   #27
DylanFRS
Lost in Kansas

Okay, thanks for your help guys. I'll let you know what I decide to do about the rust.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:49 PM   #28
Tcoat

Quote:
Okay, thanks for your help guys. I'll let you know what I decide to do about the rust.
Serious response do not take as sarcasm!

Or pick up a new one for $8

http://parts.lakelandtoyota.com/p/__...U00301396.html