follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 09-26-2021, 04:12 PM   #155
coldstart

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrs View Post
This is really great. Have you ever considered making one for where the head unit goes? I dream of being able to delete the head unit and add 3 gauges in its place.

Header & Tune
coldstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:29 AM   #156
knapper

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S - Whiteout
The importance of choosing the correct material...

Great thread! Don't know how I didn't see this before.

On the right, you will see the gas pedal spacer with the pedal limit spacer. Both broke eventually due to using PLA instead of ABS. So, that is one of the reasons you want to use ABS or PETG for this type of application. The bolts eventually started to spin inside the unit, and I had to pry it in half to remove it. Hell of of a lot cheaper than the Verus!

On the the left is a replica of the Perrin trunk handle done in PLU, works perfectly!

https://ibb.co/s9P66M1

Link to Pedal kit: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3650383

Trunk handle: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2781494

Last edited by knapper; 09-30-2021 at 08:52 AM.
knapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 11:31 AM   #157
RayRay88

Drives: 2017 86 860 Special Edition
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knapper View Post
Great thread! Don't know how I didn't see this before.

On the right, you will see the gas pedal spacer with the pedal limit spacer. Both broke eventually due to using PLA instead of ABS. So, that is one of the reasons you want to use ABS or PETG for this type of application. The bolts eventually started to spin inside the unit, and I had to pry it in half to remove it. Hell of of a lot cheaper than the Verus!

On the the left is a replica of the Perrin trunk handle done in PLU, works perfectly!

https://ibb.co/s9P66M1

Link to Pedal kit: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3650383

Trunk handle: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2781494
I wouldn't even go near something as critical as the pedal with ABS let alone PLA. There's a reason why most spacers are made of machined metal. Even carbon filled nylon will fatigue and fail over time. If those pieces break and jam underneath the brake pedal it can be very dangerous.
RayRay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 07:24 AM   #158
knapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRay88 View Post
I wouldn't even go near something as critical as the pedal with ABS let alone PLA. There's a reason why most spacers are made of machined metal. Even carbon filled nylon will fatigue and fail over time. If those pieces break and jam underneath the brake pedal it can be very dangerous.
Technically, the only thing that "broke" was the attachment bolts spinning inside the unit after trying to retighten it again one day. Which could have been avoid using larger bolt heads or a metal insert. The pic of it broken in half is my using a flathead and a hammer to pry it loose.

Although I agree PLA is not a good choice, but when printed densely, it holds up well. This changes when the temperature changes, hence the recommendation to use PETG or ABS. Both of with would do better in higher temps and are significantly stronger.

You would be hard pressed to break or even bend slightly this piece at 75% infill ABS or PETG. Is metal stronger or better in the long term? Yes. Do I think ABS or PETG would hold up in most situations. 100%.

On that note, $170+ for a small piece of machined metal, is insane.
Old 10-01-2021, 08:08 AM   #159
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Official FT86Club 3D printing thread!

Quote:
Technically, the only thing that "broke" was the attachment bolts spinning inside the unit after trying to retighten it again one day. Which could have been avoid using larger bolt heads or a metal insert. The pic of it broken in half is my using a flathead and a hammer to pry it loose.

Although I agree PLA is not a good choice, but when printed densely, it holds up well. This changes when the temperature changes, hence the recommendation to use PETG or ABS. Both of with would do better in higher temps and are significantly stronger.

You would be hard pressed to break or even bend slightly this piece at 75% infill ABS or PETG. Is metal stronger or better in the long term? Yes. Do I think ABS or PETG would hold up in most situations. 100%.

Agreed. A gas pedal spacer is something I’d make out of PETG and not worry about. Unless you’re seeing interior temps over 150F it will be just fine.

Side note: if you’re looking for strength and stiffness, increase your number of perimeters and top/bottom layers instead of bumping the infill, I find that to work better with less material.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
knapper (10-01-2021)
Old 10-01-2021, 10:46 AM   #160
RayRay88

Drives: 2017 86 860 Special Edition
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

It's not just overall strength of a part that determines feasibility of the material, you have to remember that PLA does not handle water or chemicals well. Over time, the stuff you drag into your footwell through your feet will end up on the PLA and it will degrade. I've seen PLA parts literally decompose when consistently exposed to the elements like that. I deal with additive manufacturing and advanced materials for a living in aerospace/medical/automotive.

It may be fine, even in the long run, but I'm just saying be cognizant of the risks associated. Especially in critical components.

Edit: You're in Canada too, lets see how many hot/cold heat cycles it handles this winter.
RayRay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RayRay88 For This Useful Post:
knapper (10-01-2021)
Old 10-01-2021, 02:32 PM   #161
knapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRay88 View Post
It's not just overall strength of a part that determines feasibility of the material, you have to remember that PLA does not handle water or chemicals well. Over time, the stuff you drag into your footwell through your feet will end up on the PLA and it will degrade. I've seen PLA parts literally decompose when consistently exposed to the elements like that. I deal with additive manufacturing and advanced materials for a living in aerospace/medical/automotive.

It may be fine, even in the long run, but I'm just saying be cognizant of the risks associated. Especially in critical components.

Edit: You're in Canada too, lets see how many hot/cold heat cycles it handles this winter.
Oh 100%, the post was actually more so to show that PLA is a bad choice.

Luckily, I don't drive her in the winter, it's stored in relatively warm garage until spring.
RayRay88 (10-01-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 02:07 AM   #162
Rzrs

Drives: 2013 frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldstart View Post
This is really great. Have you ever considered making one for where the head unit goes? I dream of being able to delete the head unit and add 3 gauges in its place.
I never considered it since I need my headunit to listen to music so i can't hear the creaky suspension and weird sounds the car isnt supposed to make.
Rzrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 06:39 PM   #163
alibaig99@gmail.com

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86league View Post
Got one of the knock-off PZ435-10340-00 hinged center console arm rests from amazon a while back. After I got it, I came to the conclusion that I didn't want to drill a bunch of holes in my console, and it wasn't high enough for my liking.

I ended up making 3D printed spacer that the arm rest screws into, and then the spacer fits into the console and is held in place by a couple of "tabs" front and back and some guides on the sides. It adds about 1" to the overall height and I'm fairly happy with it at this point. Big pluses to me are that it just lifts out so if I want to take it out for track events I can, and now I don't feel like I have to lean to the passenger side to get my arm down on the arm rest.

Previous iterations I tried just using double sided tape to stick it to the console and didn't have the locating tabs/guides. I always ended up banging into it when I'm trying to load stuff into the back seat, or even bumping it getting in and I would knock the tape loose.

The back locating tab is sized so that the cupholders are still useable.

Printed in ABS and had some issues with it wanting to peel off the print bed. You may notice some slots along the length. That was an attempt to give the ABS somewhere to relieve the thermal contraction vs. pulling off the print bed. It seemed to help, but didn't 100% eliminate it.

Had to print in 2 pieces because of the size. Have a "tab" that slides into the other part and then they are screwed together from the top.

It could be improved I'm sure, the compound curvature of the console and the armrest made this task a little beyond my CAD skills. The model is kind of a house of cards. I tried to make it parametric so you could change the height of the spacer, but seems like changing the height now breaks a lot of stuff and you have to manually edit things to fix them every time the height is changed.

Here's some images of the CAD:

And the finished product mounted to the arm-rest.

This pic makes the PVC "leather" look way darker than the seats, but it doesn't seem to be anywhere near that noticeable just looking at it. Hey, for $40 vs the $160 for the OEM, good enough for me.

STL, STEP, and the Fusion 360 parts are avail on thingiverse.com/thing:4840911
Hey Mate, could you design this for RDH cars?
alibaig99@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 07:21 PM   #164
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alibaig99@gmail.com View Post
Hey Mate, could you design this for RDH cars?

You can just mirror the parts in your slicer
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-22-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 05:31 AM   #165
dexterchock

Drives: Toyota 86
I 3d printed the trd aero turbulator. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5150964
but i couldn't get curvature of the bumper right, so if you guys print it, remember print it with flexible material ( the trd is also made out of rubber material). https://cdn.thingiverse.com/assets/3...y_IMG_6011.JPG
dexterchock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dexterchock For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-30-2021), DustinS (12-31-2021), gpvecchi (11-30-2021), Takumi788 (11-30-2021), ybotspawn (11-30-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 07:32 AM   #166
Takumi788
JHerbert Racing

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,186 Times in 593 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Just picked up a 3d printer that was on black Friday sale. As an R&D design engineer this purchase was long overdue. Now that I have the printing portion dialed in I am going to start working on an AIM Solo 2 holder that mounts to the radio block off panel. Then a traction control button re-location bracket. I am sure more track oriented things will follow.
- #813 2013 Scion FRS Build Thread
- JHerbert Racing Website
Takumi788 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Takumi788 For This Useful Post:
bcj (11-30-2021), Dadhawk (11-30-2021), mrjj (12-01-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 07:42 AM   #167
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi788 View Post
Just picked up a 3d printer that was on black Friday sale.
Which one did you get? I'm thinking of getting a new one, We have a small format (120mm) one in the house but it belongs to my son although I can use it. I'm thinking of getting a 500mm one to allow bigger prints. That seems to be about the largest size you can get for a reasonable price.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 08:38 AM   #168
Takumi788
JHerbert Racing

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,186 Times in 593 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Which one did you get? I'm thinking of getting a new one, We have a small format (120mm) one in the house but it belongs to my son although I can use it. I'm thinking of getting a 500mm one to allow bigger prints. That seems to be about the largest size you can get for a reasonable price.
I got a Creality CR10S for a steal. 300 x 300 x 400 build volume. You can get the "S4" version if you want a larger build volume. I highly recommend Creality for home use. It has been great. Especially with the .8mm nozzle. Once I get my FRS to my new house I will start designing some stuff and things. I have a few ideas for aero as well.
- #813 2013 Scion FRS Build Thread
- JHerbert Racing Website
Takumi788 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Takumi788 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-30-2021)