follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 09-23-2012, 05:40 PM   #15
Jimbo

Drives: 92 NSX, 08 Accord
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I could see these maybe on a convertible...but a rigid little coupe? Waste of money spent better elsewhere.

-J
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
2005 Lotus Elise - (sold but reincarnated by BRZ)
2008 Honda Accord Cpe, Blk/Blk,V6,6 spd, Nav (sold)
2013 Subaru BRZ, Limited, 6 spd Auto, WR Blue
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:09 PM   #16
zoomzoomers

Drives: 2013 Subaru SWP BRZ Limited 6AT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
I could see these maybe on a convertible...but a rigid little coupe? Waste of money spent better elsewhere.

-J
I'm going to reserve judgement for now, but my first impression would be the same or similar. Especially, if you have a strut tower brace or something similar. If you do have some other brace, I'd think this would be over kill.
Man Law#17:A man in the company of a hot, seductively dressed, woman MUST remain sober enough to fight!

MODS: AVO tubes + filter, Cusco (F) strut brace w/ MC brace, Perrin CBE, Subaru OEM trunk tray, Grimmspeed front license re-locator & hood struts and Beatsonic rear cam.
zoomzoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:18 PM   #17
BRAWL

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS Velocity Orange
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The difference would not be 'kick in your pants' noticable, but if you track your car hard then there would be benefit for sure. Plus they look pretty cool too (at least when the door is open ).
BRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #18
TuxedoCartman
Banned

Drives: '13 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

-J
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyZed View Post
The difference would not be 'kick in your pants' noticable, but if you track your car hard then there would be benefit for sure. Plus they look pretty cool too (at least when the door is open ).
I always hated that phrase, particularly when speaking about someone else's purchase: "Waste of money." And just because a coupe is more rigid than a convertible, doesn't mean it is rigid enough (for some people).

Turns out yes, the TRD door stabilizers DO make a noticeable difference in the car's handling; but its like LazyZed said, it's subtle. You only really notice when cornering hard at the outer limits of the car... but the improvement exists, and is substantial enough I'd recommend them for anybody who ever plans to push their car hard in the corners (on track or off). I did a full review somewhere on here; ill look for it later.
TuxedoCartman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TuxedoCartman For This Useful Post:
j122987 (08-17-2014)
Old 09-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #19
BRAWL

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS Velocity Orange
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I will probably get a set when I get my car along with a strut brace and master cylinder brace as soon as possible. The stiffer the better (and yes, that's what she said!)
BRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BRAWL For This Useful Post:
TuxedoCartman (09-24-2012)
Old 09-23-2012, 10:08 PM   #20
RYU

Drives: really slow...
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Where are you purchasing btw?
RYU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:21 PM   #21
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

-J
I haven't yet done this with the BRZ, but try wedging your fingers between the door and dash next time you're out. Driving around town, on the highway, or on twisty roads, you can feel the door moving around a bit, it's rather surprising.

As with most chassis mods, these would probably be more noticeable with additional bracing and stiffer suspension/bushings already in place. The stiffer the rest of the chassis is, the more it will focus stress on the flimsy areas. A coupe isn't a guarantee that the chassis is perfectly Stiffy McStifferton, some flex can still be induced if the forces are strong enough. On stock tires & stock suspension I wouldn't expect to feel much difference, if it's even detectable.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:49 PM   #22
Jimbo

Drives: 92 NSX, 08 Accord
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Point is that the money spent on these door shims would be better spent on tires, springs, roll bars, brakes, etc. Does anyone really think this supposed performance mod would seriously reduce lap times? Or does it just look cool? Just like those who want to see dyno data before believing an engine mod, show me some real world lap times on how well this mod really works.

-J
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
2005 Lotus Elise - (sold but reincarnated by BRZ)
2008 Honda Accord Cpe, Blk/Blk,V6,6 spd, Nav (sold)
2013 Subaru BRZ, Limited, 6 spd Auto, WR Blue
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimbo For This Useful Post:
jblmr2 (05-18-2015), Muaddib (09-27-2015)
Old 09-23-2012, 10:54 PM   #23
RYU

Quote:
Point is that the money spent on these door shims would be better spent on tires, springs, roll bars, brakes, etc. Does anyone really think this supposed performance mod would seriously reduce lap times? Or does it just look cool? Just like those who want to see dyno data before believing an engine mod, show me some real world lap times on how well this mod really works.

-J
Jimbo, fancy seeing you here!

All I have to say is that the 'Placebo Effect' can be a strong one
Old 09-23-2012, 11:14 PM   #24
DSOmegaX

Drives: '19 M2 Comp, '20 GR Supra
Thanked 2,153 Times in 986 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
As with what everyone has been saying, you won't feel any benefit unless you're pushing the car close to its limits, and even then it's subtle. Is part of the feeling a placebo? Possibly. But then this is just another means to an end in stiffening the overall car. If anything it eliminated an annoying rattle/buzzing that was occuring in the b pillar behind my seat.

2019 BMW M2 Competition | LBB | ///M Performance Build Thread
2020 Toyota GR Supra | Turbulence | TRD | Build Thread
DSOmegaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:37 PM   #25
Hanakuso

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSowner View Post
How about welding the doors shut for maximum stiffness?
If u want to die burning away go for it
Hanakuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:43 PM   #26
RYU

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOmegaX View Post
As with what everyone has been saying, you won't feel any benefit unless you're pushing the car close to its limits, and even then it's subtle. Is part of the feeling a placebo? Possibly. But then this is just another means to an end in stiffening the overall car. If anything it eliminated an annoying rattle/buzzing that was occuring in the b pillar behind my seat.
DSO, I've had to readjust the door latch/striker before and it's not a fun process. I have not read the service manual and they may have better suggestions. Here's mine: Make sure you're on flat ground while doing this. Even though the BRZ/FRS chassis is plenty stiff any flex will throw off your adjustment. It's also best to do this with your window down. At this point.. i'm hoping you didn't loosen the hinge bolts since that's where the majority of the door adjustment is made. You can then start adjusting the striker so that it catches the middle of the door latch. It'll take some trial and error but you should be able to visually see it to align it right before the door shuts.

If doing this again, I usually use a sharpie to draw guide marks in a + pattern so I know generally how it goes back into place w/o too much hassle.

BTW.. The placebo affect IS a strong one. One time one of my buddies took my car out. He said he adjusted my damper settings and my air pressure. I got in the car next and my time dropped 1~ sec. I found out later he did nothing
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RYU For This Useful Post:
DSOmegaX (09-25-2012), Im_SPEED (09-24-2012), Tristor (03-01-2018)
Old 09-24-2012, 12:54 AM   #27
DSOmegaX

Drives: '19 M2 Comp, '20 GR Supra
Thanked 2,153 Times in 986 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Yeah Ill play with it tomorrow. I didn't touch the hinge bolts nor will I do so. I believe what happened was that the actual thread bolts behind the body panel (which the striker plate screws go into) moved while loosening the ridiculously tight screws. Will just need to adjust them accordingly to bring the striker plate down a little more. Right now the latch is sitting a little too high causing the back end of the door to sit higher and protruding out from the rear quarter panel.

2019 BMW M2 Competition | LBB | ///M Performance Build Thread
2020 Toyota GR Supra | Turbulence | TRD | Build Thread
DSOmegaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:30 AM   #28
Ravenlokk

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'd get them if they weren't so expensive. I honestly don't understand how or why they're so expensive...
Ravenlokk is offline   Reply With Quote