follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List
86SPEED, Ammunition, Diode Dynamics

Old 05-31-2014, 01:08 PM   #1
tiz22

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (Raven) MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How to wire a fog light switch to Diode Dynamics fog light kit *SOLVED

Hoping someone can help me out here...I asked @Diode Dynamics but they couldn't really help...

I bought their FR-S Fog Light kit and installed them as per their instructions/YouTube video....This consisted of hooking up the power wire to the battery, ground wire to car body (obviously) and then hooking up the two signal wires to your parking lights (power & ground = 2 wires).

Now, I don't like having them come on every time my headlights are on. I want them to be true fog lights in the sense that I only turn them on when I really need them. For this reason - I bought the FR-S Monogram foglight switch from @fteightysix so that I could turn them on and off with the switch.
This switch has a red wire (power), a black wire (ground) and a yellow wire (relay?)...

My question is - where do I hook this yellow wire up to in the fog light kit? I saw on the Winjet tutorial that they hook this up to the single "trigger wire" in their foglight kit but the Diode Dynamics kit comes with two trigger/signal wires...Do I hook up the fog's red signal wire to the switches signal wire and then leave the fog's black signal wire grounded to parking lights? or car body? or does the switch's yellow signal wire go somewhere different completely?

Any help on how to wire this up is appreciated...I've never used a switch before so it's a little new to me and none of the vendors I've asked have had a direct answer

Let me know if you need pics

Last edited by tiz22; 06-03-2014 at 10:36 PM.
tiz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 02:50 PM   #2
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
the fog light kit wiring harness should have a relay, its a black box.
that relay will have power that goes thru to power the lights, and a ground, those are unaltered.
the wiring kit will have something labeled signal wire, or something to that effect, it will have a female spade connector probably.
you want to wire the yellow lead from the switch to the signal wire for the relay.
then you need to power the switch. it will have a red power and a ground.
easiest way to do this in the car is with an add-a-circuit mini off something like the heated seats or aux power.

that's how mines wired right now.
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 02:53 PM   #3
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
the diode dynamics wiring harness I have had the signal wire you want to interrupt with a female male connector in the middle, your removing the terminal and wiring a switch to it in short.
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:40 PM   #4
86SPEED

Drives: The silvertrooper 10 series
Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiz22 View Post
Hoping someone can help me out here...I asked @Diode Dynamics but they couldn't really help...

I bought their FR-S Fog Light kit and installed them as per their instructions/YouTube video....This consisted of hooking up the power wire to the battery, ground wire to car body (obviously) and then hooking up the two signal wires to your parking lights (power & ground = 2 wires).

Now, I don't like having them come on every time my headlights are on. I want them to be true fog lights in the sense that I only turn them on when I really need them. For this reason - I bought the FR-S Monogram foglight switch from @fteightysix so that I could turn them on and off with the switch.
This switch has a red wire (power), a black wire (ground) and a yellow wire (relay?)...

My question is - where do I hook this yellow wire up to in the fog light kit? I saw on the Winjet tutorial that they hook this up to the single "trigger wire" in their foglight kit but the Diode Dynamics kit comes with two trigger/signal wires...Do I hook up the fog's red signal wire to the switches signal wire and then leave the fog's black signal wire grounded to parking lights? or car body? or does the switch's yellow signal wire go somewhere different completely?

Any help on how to wire this up is appreciated...I've never used a switch before so it's a little new to me and none of the vendors I've asked have had a direct answer

Call us up on Monday - We can help the yellow is the wire that would turn on the input on the diode kit - (not the one to the batt)

86SPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:59 PM   #5
Diode Dynamics

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,761 Times in 877 Posts
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:

If you have any questions about the installation of our kit, send us an email: contact@diodedynamics.com or give us a call: (314) 205-3033

We can answer any of your questions and provide more wiring information if needed.

Nick C.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:33 PM   #6
tiz22

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (Raven) MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Ok so since some of you have PMd me asking to detail it once I figure it out - here it is:
In the end you wire it up exactly how all the DIYs say but with DD kit (since there are 2 signal wires - black & red) you have to hook the black signal wire to a ground (I did the parking light ground wire since it was already hooked up) and then the red signal wire goes into the signal wire on the switch

See this for clarification:

Name:  11168170316_fe632623dc_b-2.jpg
Views: 2934
Size:  392.8 KB

And this is where I tapped in for the switch power (it's the power wire for your cabin dimmer):

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-05-31 at 12.54.14 PM.png
Views: 2609
Size:  198.5 KB
tiz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tiz22 For This Useful Post:
86SPEED (06-04-2014), Ammunition (06-04-2014), Diode Dynamics (06-04-2014)
Old 06-04-2014, 01:16 AM   #7
86SPEED

Drives: The silvertrooper 10 series
Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Glad you got it all sorted out

Quote:
Ok so since some of you have PMd me asking to detail it once I figure it out - here it is:
In the end you wire it up exactly how all the DIYs say but with DD kit (since there are 2 signal wires - black & red) you have to hook the black signal wire to a ground (I did the parking light ground wire since it was already hooked up) and then the red signal wire goes into the signal wire on the switch

See this for clarification:

Attachment 80814

And this is where I tapped in for the switch power (it's the power wire for your cabin dimmer):

Attachment 80815
86SPEED is offline   Reply With Quote