follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 12-16-2020, 10:17 PM   #43
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racenut View Post
Mine showed up on Thursday. Don't have them on yet as it was rainy all weekend. But here's a few unboxing pics. They look pretty nice to me, but the proof will be how they feel on the car. Hopefully will find out soon... Also, in the manual on the QC page is a personal thank you note. I thought that was a nice touch and tells me this wasn't simply shipped from a warehouse. And to clarify, I ordered the "Fastroad Pro Street" kit.

So far so good?

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 02:17 AM   #44
Racenut

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
So far so good?
So far still sitting in the box lol. By the time I get home from work it's dark. At this point I have new wheels/tires, brakes and these coilovers sitting here ready to install. Hopefully this weekend will be productive....
Racenut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Racenut For This Useful Post:
solidONE (12-17-2020), Thefalls (12-17-2020)
Old 12-27-2020, 09:00 PM   #45
Racenut

Finally got a chance to get the coilovers installed. My initial impression is I'm very pleased. Have not had a chance to play with different damping settings, currently on 8 clicks up from soft and it feels good. My test road is a lumpy lil bastard and where the stock struts would get unsettled, these are much more composed. They are also no noisier than stock other than really sharp big bumps you can hear that there's less rubber cushion. But they soak it up without getting upset.

My son is also pleased with the results and he's got a better feel for it than I do. This is still a new car to me. I've been driving a Jeep for the last 6 years. He drives a track toy Miata.

Only have a few miles on them so not sure how much settling might happen with the springs, but out of the box, it was about a 1" drop and have settled another 1/8" inch so far. Need to take it in for an alignment and may have it corner weighted since a friend of my son's has the scales.

Headed to Laguna Seca on Jan 10th, guess we'll see how it goes
Attached Images

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Racenut For This Useful Post:
norcalpb (12-28-2020), solidONE (12-28-2020), Spankopotomous (12-27-2020), Thefalls (12-28-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 11:12 PM   #46
zeroomega

Drives: Supra MKV, FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Finally got a chance to get the coilovers installed. My initial impression is I'm very pleased. Have not had a chance to play with different damping settings, currently on 8 clicks up from soft and it feels good. My test road is a lumpy lil bastard and where the stock struts would get unsettled, these are much more composed. They are also no noisier than stock other than really sharp big bumps you can hear that there's less rubber cushion. But they soak it up without getting upset.

My son is also pleased with the results and he's got a better feel for it than I do. This is still a new car to me. I've been driving a Jeep for the last 6 years. He drives a track toy Miata.

Only have a few miles on them so not sure how much settling might happen with the springs, but out of the box, it was about a 1" drop and have settled another 1/8" inch so far. Need to take it in for an alignment and may have it corner weighted since a friend of my son's has the scales.

Headed to Laguna Seca on Jan 10th, guess we'll see how it goes
My Club Spec Pro version is slightly different than yours. I am interested if we can have a chance to do a side by side comparison when the pandemic is over.
Attached Images

zeroomega is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zeroomega For This Useful Post:
solidONE (12-28-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 11:17 PM   #47
solidONE

^ Are they different lengths, I wonder. I'm sure the valving are different enough to suit the differing rates 9K vs 7K.

Old 12-28-2020, 11:38 PM   #48
zeroomega

Drives: Supra MKV, FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
^ Are they different lengths, I wonder. I'm sure the valving are different enough to suit the differing rates 9K vs 7K.
That is probably a question for annex folks. The assist springs on CSP would probably allow you to have more compression stroke before hitting the bumpstop compared to the ones without the assist springs. I am not sure if that difference requires a different tube length. I think unless you have super sticky tires or big aero, that extra compression stroke might not be necessary.
zeroomega is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zeroomega For This Useful Post:
solidONE (12-28-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 11:57 PM   #49
solidONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroomega View Post
That is probably a question for annex folks. The assist springs on CSP would probably allow you to have more compression stroke before hitting the bumpstop compared to the ones without the assist springs. I am not sure if that difference requires a different tube length. I think unless you have super sticky tires or big aero, that extra compression stroke might not be necessary.

Ah okay I didnt see the rear top hat til now. Necessary or not, I'd prefer having those rear tops. Its better to have too much than no enough rear stroke.

Old 12-28-2020, 11:57 PM   #50
Racenut

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroomega View Post
My Club Spec Pro version is slightly different than yours. I am interested if we can have a chance to do a side by side comparison when the pandemic is over.
Sure. would be interesting to compare side by side.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Racenut For This Useful Post:
solidONE (12-28-2020), zeroomega (12-29-2020)
Old 01-14-2021, 03:03 PM   #51
Racenut

Was out at Laguna Seca on Sunday and finally got to push the car hard. I did find myself wishing for a bit higher spring rates, but then I would probably hate it for regular street driving. But the car still felt good and neutral, though my kid made sure to show me it will oversteer when provoked.

For alignment, we're at 0 toe and -2.4 degrees camber in front. 0 toe and -2.0 camber in the rear. Other than the coilovers, the rest of the suspension is all stock with 78K miles on the car, though the previous owner drove easy, mostly commuting. Car is on Apex ARC-8 17x9 wheels with new Champiro SX2 235/40 tires. This was my first track day, I ran a 1:57.42 as my best lap. My son ran a 1:48.48 because he's more awesome than me lol. He ran 1:48.00 in his Miata. He said he was overall impressed with how it felt, especially since it was just right out of the box.

So as my goal for having a fun street car that's also capable of having fun at the track, I would say I'm very pleased with the Annex FastRoad Pro kit.

Here's my kid's lap just because...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Racenut For This Useful Post:
solidONE (01-14-2021), Thefalls (01-15-2021), zeroomega (01-15-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 04:58 PM   #52
solidONE

Thanks for the update! I'd like to know more how it behaves on the road and canyons (bumpy). Have fun dialing it in!

Old 01-14-2021, 09:07 PM   #53
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Was out at Laguna Seca on Sunday and finally got to push the car hard. I did find myself wishing for a bit higher spring rates, but then I would probably hate it for regular street driving. But the car still felt good and neutral, though my kid made sure to show me it will oversteer when provoked.

For alignment, we're at 0 toe and -2.4 degrees camber in front. 0 toe and -2.0 camber in the rear. Other than the coilovers, the rest of the suspension is all stock with 78K miles on the car, though the previous owner drove easy, mostly commuting. Car is on Apex ARC-8 17x9 wheels with new Champiro SX2 235/40 tires. This was my first track day, I ran a 1:57.42 as my best lap. My son ran a 1:48.48 because he's more awesome than me lol. He ran 1:48.00 in his Miata. He said he was overall impressed with how it felt, especially since it was just right out of the box.

So as my goal for having a fun street car that's also capable of having fun at the track, I would say I'm very pleased with the Annex FastRoad Pro kit.

Here's my kid's lap just because...
Took turn 6 like a boss haha.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote