follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

View Poll Results: Do you have the described AT issues?
Yes, but I've ignored them 41 34.17%
Yes, TSB fixed it 14 11.67%
Yes, dealer fix did not help 12 10.00%
No everything is fine 53 44.17%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 12-10-2015, 03:58 AM   #43
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Needed to confirm issue is completely gone so far, no issues with unusual downshifts or failure to rev match, in fact this is the first time keeping the car in Drive for the entire duration and it shifts quite smooth
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:43 AM   #44
MechEGR

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S AT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
Needed to confirm issue is completely gone so far, no issues with unusual downshifts or failure to rev match, in fact this is the first time keeping the car in Drive for the entire duration and it shifts quite smooth
Same here, no issues whatsoever since the TSB. Is there a way to change the poll so it reflects who the TSB has worked for?
MechEGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:33 PM   #45
Leonardo
Country Boy 4 Life

Drives: 19' & 06' Ridgelines, 13' FR-S
Thanked 5,291 Times in 2,720 Posts
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
My AT was shifting hard. I changed the trans fluid and it fixed the problem. I waited way to long. It was at 50000. I feel that it should be done sooner. The manual says the trans is "maintenance free" literally. They suggest changing at 100,000! I hope this helps.
Leonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 03:50 PM   #46
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechEGR View Post
Same here, no issues whatsoever since the TSB. Is there a way to change the poll so it reflects who the TSB has worked for?
I'm unaware of how to do that though, I'm not able to edit that poll
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
Old 12-10-2015, 05:24 PM   #47
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
My AT was shifting hard. I changed the trans fluid and it fixed the problem. I waited way to long. It was at 50000. I feel that it should be done sooner. The manual says the trans is "maintenance free" literally. They suggest changing at 100,000! I hope this helps.
That was not our issue, ours was sporadic on 2015s after keeping it in drive for some time, if you started the car and kept it in manual mode the issue would not appear whatsoever.

Also for the automatic transmission they do not suggest changing at 100,000 the manual clearly states inspect at 30k replace if need, if not replace at 60k regardless:
Old 12-16-2015, 07:06 AM   #48
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Any updates from the folks who got the TSB done and reported no more hard shifting, non-rev matching, idle hunting issues afterward?

Getting 2nd service done within a week or two and going to ask them to check out the car. The issue isn't bad enough to make me want to sell the car, but it really is a kill joy on spirited drives (even daily driving) where downshifts are not rev-matched accompanied by extremely hard engine breaking and upshifts are really lazy.

I can always pull over and turn off the car but I'm not going to ask the group of porsches, vettes, wrx/sti and other owners to stop the group drive because I'm no longer having fun.... lol

Hope they can still check out the issue even though the car is outside the VIN range.
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:21 AM   #49
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreapersteve View Post
Any updates from the folks who got the TSB done and reported no more hard shifting, non-rev matching, idle hunting issues afterward?

Getting 2nd service done within a week or two and going to ask them to check out the car. The issue isn't bad enough to make me want to sell the car, but it really is a kill joy on spirited drives (even daily driving) where downshifts are not rev-matched accompanied by extremely hard engine breaking and upshifts are really lazy.

I can always pull over and turn off the car but I'm not going to ask the group of porsches, vettes, wrx/sti and other owners to stop the group drive because I'm no longer having fun.... lol

Hope they can still check out the issue even though the car is outside the VIN range.

My dealer did it for me at the first oil change @ 3650 miles, along with properly aiming my winjets to legal height as they were unnecessary low on my part after install for quite some time. Also I am out of the vin range all I did was bring in the printed TSB out and gave it to them asking to speak with the service department manager as the issue was on record when I called them at 400 miles as well. So far no idle issues even with a/c on and after driving the car hard, also it downshifts slightly quicker I noticed and for the first time I've actually kept it in drive for an entire drive it's pretty damn smooth.
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
soulreapersteve (12-16-2015)
Old 12-16-2015, 09:45 AM   #50
RichardsFRS

Drives: 2013 Pearl White 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Are these made to be driven 99% of the time in manual mode? I thought mani mode is for fun jaunts. Why not get a full manual if you drive 99% of the time in manual mode. Stick in our cars are hella fun
RichardsFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:56 AM   #51
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardsFRS View Post
Are these made to be driven 99% of the time in manual mode? I thought mani mode is for fun jaunts. Why not get a full manual if you drive 99% of the time in manual mode. Stick in our cars are hella fun
No, if you do any amount of reading on this topic, 2015's and maybe even the 16's get into a condition where if you're in D, then switch to M it causes the transmission to forget that it's supposed to rev match. On downshifts, it causes the rear wheels to lock up sometimes and makes upshifts very rough. So, if you have any desire to have any amount of fun during your drive, you need to leave it in M for the entire time or, turn your car off, then start it again.

Plus, not everyone is in the same position as you, and certain circumstances in people's lives take precedent over owning a manual. But I'm sure you have plenty of fun in your car when your knee is acting up
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
Borrowed Time (08-16-2016), FRSBRZGT86FAN (12-16-2015), MechEGR (12-16-2015), new2subaru (12-16-2015), soulreapersteve (12-16-2015)
Old 12-16-2015, 10:17 AM   #52
RichardsFRS

Drives: 2013 Pearl White 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Okay that was a mature answer. I'd take my bad knee days any day over a boring ass auto. And yes I have a lot of fun. You could have just said I can't drive a stick.

We have an auto too but the both of us have more fun in the stick. Learn to drive a stick and youll see.
RichardsFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 10:18 AM   #53
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
No, if you do any amount of reading on this topic, 2015's and maybe even the 16's get into a condition where if you're in D, then switch to M it causes the transmission to forget that it's supposed to rev match. On downshifts, it causes the rear wheels to lock up sometimes and makes upshifts very rough. So, if you have any desire to have any amount of fun during your drive, you need to leave it in M for the entire time or, turn your car off, then start it again.

Plus, not everyone is in the same position as you, and certain circumstances in people's lives take precedent over owning a manual. But I'm sure you have plenty of fun in your car when your knee is acting up
Yes they can be driven 99% of the time in manual mode, but @RichardsFRS you really should read the entire post before commenting, what you just said leads into a ridiculous argument of manual vs auto which is null. Everyone buys there car to work in different situations for them.

Also for the record I can drive stick as can one of my parents and sister.
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2015, 10:26 AM   #54
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Okay that was a mature answer. I'd take my bad knee days any day over a boring ass auto. And yes I have a lot of fun. You could have just said I can't drive a stick.

We have an auto too but the both of us have more fun in the stick. Learn to drive a stick and youll see.
LMAO. I can drive stick. Like I said, I bought an auto based on circumstances in my life that made manual not the best choice. When I bought the car, I had a girlfriend who refused to learn to drive stick, since she was going to be driving it for 90% of the month it had to be auto.

No point in beating a dead horse here. Feel free to gtfo on your high horse of 3 pedals and feel better than the peasants and plebs who can somehow form a better argument than you can.

PS, hope that knee heals up nicely, you pathetic, old, broken troll.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2015, 04:24 PM   #55
TheMedakaBox
[EUROBEAT INTENSIFIES]

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S Steel
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
That was not our issue, ours was sporadic on 2015s after keeping it in drive for some time, if you started the car and kept it in manual mode the issue would not appear whatsoever.
If you guys don't already know, but if you activate cruise control while in Drive going highway speeds (65+) for a couple minutes and switch to M-Mode it causes the hard shifting too. :'(
TheMedakaBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:28 PM   #56
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMedakaBox View Post
If you guys don't already know, but if you activate cruise control while in Drive going highway speeds (65+) for a couple minutes and switch to M-Mode it causes the hard shifting too. :'(

That's fixed by the TSB as well I haven't had that return either that was mentioned in another post of mine
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Borrowed Time (08-16-2016), MechEGR (12-17-2015)