follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

View Poll Results: Do you have the described AT issues?
Yes, but I've ignored them 41 34.17%
Yes, TSB fixed it 14 11.67%
Yes, dealer fix did not help 12 10.00%
No everything is fine 53 44.17%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 10-22-2015, 08:48 PM   #1
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
AT Hard Shifting issues Poll

I just was curious to see who if all have this issue as described in these threads:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80500
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79886
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88758

The issue occurs at around 0:14 in this video:
Sorry Guys video was deleted by me by accident awhile back I had a long hiatus away from the forums and didn't realize it was for this whoops!

Essentially, downshifting in manual mode does not rev match at times, and up-shifts become harsh, also in drive the shifting becomes rough as well, the issue disappears when restarting the car, it also does not appear if the car has been started and driven only in manual mode.

It seems a lot of people are having this issue, just wanted to know how widespread it is and like other issues if this TSB has fixed it: S-SB-0021-15
as that is the only recent TSB that effects our AT transmissions in any way. (subaru TSBs 16-96-15 which seems really similar:TCM Reprogramming File Availability for Engine Idle RPM Fluctuation on 6AT- Equipped Models)

EDIT AS OF 1/3/2016:

ISSUES ARE FIXED!!!! The TSB here S-SB-0021-15 can pretty much be confirmed to fix the issues that occurs after using drive for a period of time or after cruise control use including: failing to rev match, weird idle, late shifts and lurching in drive.

FOR SUBARU BR-Zs:
It is TSB #16-96-15

TCM Reprogramming File Availability for Engine Idle RPM Fluctuation on 6AT- Equipped Models

This bulletin announces availability of reprogramming files for optimizing the Transmission Control Module (TCM) on all 2015 and some early-production 2016MY vehicles to control an engine idle speed fluctuation condition when in Park or Neutral. The cause is incorrect operation of a back-up program the TCM uses in the event of a turbine speed sensor problem. Affected vehicles may see a fluctuation of approximately 200 rpm (between 600 – 800 rpm idle speed).

Here is a list of owners that had the new TCM logic flash as per the TSB instructions and no longer have transmission issues:
1. aa_chow
2. Mini&aVette
3. soulreapersteve
4. MidwestFRS
5. FRSBRZGT86FAN
6. V_86
7. MechEGR
8 DashRipRock
9.Cole
10.KalbiCool88
11.Hoggensteen
12.inio
13.punisherfan
14.euthqt
15.KalbiCool88
16.Simplisticx3

Also noticed after the re-flash was that shifts in manual mode are increasingly snappier and in drive are noticeably smoother. Bottom line is if you have AT and a 2015-2016 experiencing issues that have been mentioned print out the TSB, take it to the dealer requesting it be done regardless of VIN, if you have a 2013 or 2014 you can try to get them to do it no guarantees as to what they will say however.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*

Last edited by FRSBRZGT86FAN; 01-28-2018 at 12:08 AM.
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Borrowed Time (08-14-2016), MechEGR (05-24-2016), Overdrive (01-20-2018), whataboutbob (03-28-2016)
Old 10-24-2015, 04:16 PM   #2
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
My dealer replaced my ECU, other than that, they've been telling me that this is how the car was designed and they are making it near impossible for me to get it looked at. Such as telling me they need the car for a day or more, and then not being willing to give me a rental.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 07:59 PM   #3
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
There are too many AT issues threads so I'll post this here. Everything was fine and dandy since I bought it and 8200 miles... until yesterday. 99% of the time since September, I've been driving in manual mode.

Went on a group drive and filled up the tank at the local gas station there. Fairly busy Chevron station. As always, I triple check to make sure I'm using Supreme/Premium grade. Right after I pulled out onto the street, I started to notice something odd.

Whenever I upshifted, the transmission seemed to hesitate a second longer than usual then it would shift. Whenever I downshifted, I noticed the needle drop to where an MT would stall (7-800 rpm, iirc?) then it would lazily/slowly rise and shift with no "throttle blip" rev matching. Before, it would near instantly throttle blip rev match whenever I shifted down.

Also when downshifting while coming to a stop, extremely heavy engine braking would occur. I make sure to never put heavy loads onto the engine while coming to a stop. From 2 to 1, I downshift at about 15 miles per hour or ~1800 rpm. Engine braking would happen but since yesterday, it would kick in and actually snap my neck back against the seat, the car "bucking like a horse". Used to never do that before yesterday. Yes yes, I do know it's recommended to let the computer downshift to 1 on it's own but I can't see how it would drastically affect anything as long as you dont shift down at high speeds/load. (I also love how the exhaust sounds while downshifting...)

I tried switching to auto mode, auto/sport mode, back to manual mode and still same issue. Tried turning off the car during the drive while taking a rest break yesterday and same issue.

Drove the car around town for about 4 hours today. First 2 hours, same issues. Then the latter half, it seemed fine again. Got throttle blip rev matching during downshifts and upshifts werent lazy anymore. Also when coming to a stop, engine braking wasn't heavy anymore, felt the same as before.

For now, I will attribute my issues to that damn tank of gas. I haven't filled up since yesterday and it's sitting at less than 1/4th right now. Trying to run it down as much as I safely can then fill up at my usual station. I honestly don't know if that's the cause, still learning the technical aspects of cars in general. But to a simpleton like myself, it is way too much of a coincidence that the issue started happening right after the fill up.

I do hope it really was the bad gas because my car's VIN is after the VIN listed in the most recently listed TSB.

If anyone wants to chime in, please do! Knowledge is power, especially in my case. I will be sure to report back tomorrow on my way to work if the issues are still occurring.
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to soulreapersteve For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (10-27-2015), FRSBRZGT86FAN (04-15-2016), geezerbrzeezer (10-10-2016)
Old 10-25-2015, 08:22 PM   #4
86geek

Drives: 2015 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Also when downshifting while coming to a stop, extremely heavy engine braking would occur.
I experienced that the other day. I figured it was because I just had my 2nd car maintenance done last weekend.

Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
86geek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 86geek For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (11-09-2015), soulreapersteve (10-26-2015)
Old 10-26-2015, 10:47 PM   #5
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
So reporting back here as stated yesterday. Had plenty of time in traffic to test out if issues are still happening regarding rev matching and hesitation during up and downshifts.

Looks like things are back to as they were before. Shifting right when I want it. No more lazy downshifts with heavy engine braking and upshifts are quick too.

Really do hope it was an isolated incident and a bad tank of gas. I'll keep monitoring for another week then brush it off.

Me happy again

Now I have to find out why the car's clock was ahead 40 minutes.
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:24 AM   #6
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
My dealer replaced my ECU, other than that, they've been telling me that this is how the car was designed and they are making it near impossible for me to get it looked at. Such as telling me they need the car for a day or more, and then not being willing to give me a rental.
It most definitely is not designed that way, dealers are ridiculous
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:06 AM   #7
MechEGR

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S AT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
Find a new dealer. Mine has been nothing but helpful and they have given me rental cars for 4+ days twice now while they look into this hard shifting issue.
MechEGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 02:28 PM   #8
V_86

Drives: 2015 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've had two FRS autos. Both have had the issue. Both have it nearly always when I go back and forth from D to M following driving at highway speeds. Both have accompanying rev hunting issue when put in park after hard shifting starts. The only "fix" is to immediately start in M when going on a spirited drive, OR reset the computer by restarting car at a light or stop sign. At the next service I will point out the TSB for the rev hunting and see if it does anything.

UPDATE: had the TSB done, so far so good, but I will give it a week and report back.

Last edited by V_86; 11-07-2015 at 06:42 PM.
V_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to V_86 For This Useful Post:
86geek (11-10-2015), Clipdat (10-27-2015), FRSBRZGT86FAN (11-09-2015), MechEGR (10-29-2015), soulreapersteve (10-27-2015)
Old 10-27-2015, 03:05 PM   #9
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Only issue I have is when I get the tranny really hot like 5k + RPM for long periods of time. It starts to feel like the clutch plates are slipping or something. But other then that she is holding up well.
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to go_a_way1 For This Useful Post:
TKShu22 (10-27-2015)
Old 11-09-2015, 10:25 AM   #10
MechEGR

Has anybody with the hard shifting issue tried the TSB for idle hunting yet?? I tried to get it done but they had problems flashing my TCM.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:07 PM   #11
OpteronO3

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by V_86 View Post
I've had two FRS autos. Both have had the issue. Both have it nearly always when I go back and forth from D to M following driving at highway speeds. Both have accompanying rev hunting issue when put in park after hard shifting starts. The only "fix" is to immediately start in M when going on a spirited drive, OR reset the computer by restarting car at a light or stop sign. At the next service I will point out the TSB for the rev hunting and see if it does anything.

UPDATE: had the TSB done, so far so good, but I will give it a week and report back.
My issues are very similar to yours. I was able to replicate in front if a tech and agreed something was very wrong. I got the car back a week later and the manager confronted me stating this is normal l operation. I'm like seriously?? I don't think they want to really help. Ive been 4 times.
OpteronO3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:11 PM   #12
OpteronO3

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
This might have been discussed before. But do you think its a software issue or hardware? I remember somewhere on these forums they were discussing tranny oil tolerances and how heat directly affects the tranny and leads to poor performance. With that said has anyone installed a transmission oil cooler and reported any issues we are seeing?
OpteronO3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:05 PM   #13
MechEGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpteronO3 View Post
This might have been discussed before. But do you think its a software issue or hardware? I remember somewhere on these forums they were discussing tranny oil tolerances and how heat directly affects the tranny and leads to poor performance. With that said has anyone installed a transmission oil cooler and reported any issues we are seeing?
My dealer and I are sure it's a software issue, mainly due to the fact that the issues completely go away after restarting the car.
The Following User Says Thank You to MechEGR For This Useful Post:
OpteronO3 (11-09-2015)
Old 11-09-2015, 06:11 PM   #14
MechEGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
I just was curious to see who if all have this issue as described in these threads:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80500
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79886
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88758

Essentially, downshifting in manual mode does not rev match at times, and up-shifts become harsh, also in drive the shifting becomes rough as well, the issue disappears when restarting the car, it also does not appear if the car has been started and driven only in manual mode.

It seems a lot of people are having this issue, just wanted to know how widespread it is and like other issues if this TSB has fixed it: S-SB-0021-15
as that is the only recent TSB that effects our AT transmissions in any way.

Also please post if you tried to get it fixed, what the dealer did to attempt to fix it, and your symptoms
Looking at the poll so far, this is almost positively only an issue in 2015's
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MechEGR For This Useful Post:
Borrowed Time (08-16-2016), FRSBRZGT86FAN (11-09-2015)