follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 08-08-2015, 11:48 AM   #1
Chad_W

Drives: 2013 BRZ DGM
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Better handling by removing/reducing swaybars?

I'm wondering with our lower center of gravity and huge choice of stiffer springs and dampeners, can we benefit from reducing anti-roll stiffness?

Ideally the ideal suspension is about the correct spring rates and appropriate dampening. The roll bars should just be used to dial in understeer/oversteer

Has anyone played with this idea? I'm thinking primarily from a street car perspective, where improved ride quality is appreciate and more independent wheel movement can provide more overall grip.

As an example, the new Miata has a bit of body roll, but an tremendous amount of grip and reasonable compliant suspension.
Chad_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 02:13 PM   #2
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Let's just get this out of the way quickly.

Your car will be unpredictable and thus unsafe without the sway bars.

That other guy ran without them and didn't kill himself.

Nobody cares about that other guy.

Well, OK, some think he's an innovator.

There we go, now this thread can carry on without interruption about that guy and his research.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
blue cat (08-14-2015), cdrazic93 (08-10-2015), drewbot (08-08-2015), Hyper4mance2k (08-09-2015), SkAsphalt (08-11-2015), Special_K (08-11-2015), Tcoat (08-10-2015), whataboutbob (08-11-2015), why? (08-09-2015), wparsons (08-08-2015)
Old 08-08-2015, 03:02 PM   #3
GSpeed

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Thanked 1,181 Times in 362 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_W View Post
I'm wondering with our lower center of gravity and huge choice of stiffer springs and dampeners, can we benefit from reducing anti-roll stiffness?

Ideally the ideal suspension is about the correct spring rates and appropriate dampening. The roll bars should just be used to dial in understeer/oversteer

Has anyone played with this idea? I'm thinking primarily from a street car perspective, where improved ride quality is appreciate and more independent wheel movement can provide more overall grip.

As an example, the new Miata has a bit of body roll, but an tremendous amount of grip and reasonable compliant suspension.
It's all a balance. If you were to take the sway bars off the car, you'd have waaaay too much body roll. We can all agree on that. But let's say you increase your ride frequency to something super high like 6-7 Hz to make up for the lack of roll bars. Something sufficiently high to get your roll rate back down to the 1-2-1.5°/G level that's a good non-downforce racecar level. Now you've put some massive, massive springs on the car, so stiff that your car is upset at the slightest bump and you're skating all over the track.

So why not just have a higher roll rate? Weight transfer. It'll take forever for the car to take a set from one corner to another.

If you want to make your car roll like a Coupe DeVille, then yes, take off the sway bars. But you'd be messing up all kinds of analysis that's been done on matching ride and roll frequencies to the environments these cars will see.
GSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GSpeed For This Useful Post:
drm (08-09-2015), Timmy_Jones (08-09-2015), wparsons (08-08-2015)
Old 08-08-2015, 03:09 PM   #4
Sammakko
Bilge monkey

Drives: '13 BRZ, 82 starlet
i'd leave the front swaybar in place, and try deleting the rear (you don't have to remove it to do your testing, just disconnect one of the link arms). MR2Spyder guys go FASTER without a rear swaybar. allowing the back of the car to "roll" while keeping pressure on the outside front tire, can help with oversteer, which the ft86 is extremely prone to, especially with helical diff..
Sammakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:32 PM   #5
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,352 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammakko View Post
i'd leave the front swaybar in place, and try deleting the rear (you don't have to remove it to do your testing, just disconnect one of the link arms). MR2Spyder guys go FASTER without a rear swaybar. allowing the back of the car to "roll" while keeping pressure on the outside front tire, can help with oversteer, which the ft86 is extremely prone to, especially with helical diff..
I would be extremely shocked if lap times improved by just removing the stock rear bar. I also wouldn't call it extremely prone to oversteer.

Even on the stock tires, the FRS (loosest rear of all FT86 models) is still understeer biased in steady state cornering. They're easy to get sliding on the stock tires, but that's power oversteer and not too much rear bias.

With sticky tires, that bias is more obvious. Can you make it oversteer, sure, but it's also very easy to make it understeer. I've got A LOT of track kms on mine, and I don't find it overly tail happy at all, even with an alignment designed to give it more rotation.

Beyond that, they're VERY east to catch if the tail does step out.

Drive an AP1 S2000 and an FRS back to back and you'll understand
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
akyp (08-09-2015), G-Man (08-10-2015), GSpeed (08-08-2015), Hyper4mance2k (08-09-2015), kingkenny (08-09-2015), strat61caster (08-12-2015), Ultramaroon (08-09-2015)
Old 08-09-2015, 08:04 AM   #6
Sammakko
Bilge monkey

Drives: '13 BRZ, 82 starlet
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post

Drive an AP1 S2000 and an FRS back to back and you'll understand
haha, point taken!
Sammakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:38 AM   #7
Kostamojen

Drives: 1993 Impreza w/ WRX Swap + FWD!
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Some base model Imprezas, which have the exact same rear suspension as this car, come from the factory without swaybars...

They also handle like crap.
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kostamojen For This Useful Post:
Calum (08-10-2015)
Old 08-09-2015, 01:11 PM   #8
Hoosier Daddy

Drives: '13 Denali, '15 Volt, soon a BRZ?
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
You'd need to figure out how much extra front spring stiffness would be needed to compensate for unhooking the front FARB, or maybe not if the OEM FARB doesn't contribute much to roll stiffness. But you would be sacrificing ride comfort due to the stiffer corner springs to have optimal roll stiffness distribution (whatever you think that is).

Otherwise, it's not a huge deal. Generally, though just like OEM springs, the OEM ARBs are puny, and are increased in size when converting over to a race car. Also, there is a reason ARBs are unhooked in sessions with rain and plenty of different racing cars run with bars unhooked, albeit in the rear most of the time.
Hoosier Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 04:19 PM   #9
Chad_W

Drives: 2013 BRZ DGM
In the spirit of spit balling....

Let's say you already decided you want to lower your car about an 1 inch, you add some springs that are about 30% stiffer and Bilsteins.

At the same time you replaced the OEM sway bars with ones 2-3mm less in diameter... Would you retain some ride comfort here, while shifting some of the anti roll responsibility to your now stiffer strut/spring combo?

I'm really only thinking about this for a street application. The desired result would be to not sacrifice too much compliance, while going to a slightly more aggressive spring/strut combo
Chad_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 04:21 PM   #10
GSpeed

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Thanked 1,181 Times in 362 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

Here's a plot showing roll gradient (°/G) over three laps.

Green- Stock springs, stock bars
Red- 400 lb springs, stock bars
Blue- 400 lb springs, Whiteline Bars (3X & 2X stiffer than OEM)

This shows the effectiveness of springs and bars fairly well. Increasing spring rate by a factor of 2.5 or so dropped the roll gradient by what, 30%? If your springs were only 30% stiffer, your roll gradient would hardly be affected.

Considering you're looking at this from a street perspective, I think you're going about it backwards. Bars will allow you to corner flat while maintaining compliance over bumps, whereas stiffer springs all around will handle everything like a skateboard.

Last edited by GSpeed; 08-09-2015 at 04:43 PM.
GSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 04:33 PM   #11
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
If your combination of aftermarket springs and sway bars equaled the same total amount of roll resistance as a stock combo provided at a given amount of input, then the total amount of lean wouldn't be any different. However, given that you'd need to calculate the curve for two different contributing components to the total amount of roll resistance and compare how their overlap plotted out compared to oem, I don't think you'd ever come up with the same overall curve using a different combination of rates. If you used lighter bars, then you'd need correspondingly stiffer strings to compensate, which would pretty much ruin your ride quality in a straight line. The oem setup is pretty generous with stroke right out of the box, and is a pretty good blend of compliance and camber control, as is, for a strut front end. If anything, lighter springs/shocks and heavier bars would offer a more compliant ride while keeping overall balance/geometry roughly the same. There'd still be sacrifices in other areas though.

Last edited by venturaII; 08-09-2015 at 06:28 PM.
venturaII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to venturaII For This Useful Post:
GSpeed (08-09-2015)
Old 08-09-2015, 05:40 PM   #12
Hoosier Daddy

Drives: '13 Denali, '15 Volt, soon a BRZ?
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PST View Post

Here's a plot showing roll gradient (°/G) over three laps.

Green- Stock springs, stock bars
Red- 400 lb springs, stock bars
Blue- 400 lb springs, Whiteline Bars (3X & 2X stiffer than OEM)

This shows the effectiveness of springs and bars fairly well. Increasing spring rate by a factor of 2.5 or so dropped the roll gradient by what, 30%? If your springs were only 30% stiffer, your roll gradient would hardly be affected.

Considering you're looking at this from a street perspective, I think you're going about it backwards. Bars will allow you to corner flat while maintaining compliance over bumps, whereas stiffer springs all around will handle everything like a skateboard.
Unfortunately, all your plots show is less body roll with stiffer springs and then even less with stiffer springs and stiffer bars. That doesn't say anything about actual handling. If body roll is really bad then even stiffer springs/bars is better... Although, your last point is more than valid, mirroring my own comment.
Hoosier Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 05:48 PM   #13
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,352 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostamojen View Post
Some base model Imprezas, which have the exact same rear suspension as this car, come from the factory without swaybars...

They also handle like crap.
They don't have the exact same rear suspension... they use the same control arms, that's it. They sit at a different geometry at stock height, use very different shock and spring rates, and the weight distribution is way different.
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (08-09-2015)
Old 08-09-2015, 06:24 PM   #14
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,365 Times in 4,132 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
I have driven my car without swaybars with 6k/6k springs and am now driving without swaybars on 9k/10k springs. There is no way I am going back with sways.

(For what ever reason I can't quote PST)

"Bars will allow you to corner flat while maintaining compliance over bumps [1], whereas stiffer springs all around will handle everything like a skateboard.[2]"
1/ There is no free lunch. Anti roll bars tie the suspension together at each end. If the anti roll bars make up a high percentage of total roll stiffness there will be a reduction of independance.
2/ You have stated a either/or argument but there are many different rates of spring that are stiffer. 20% stiffer or 400% stiffer?

"If you were to take the sway bars off the car, you'd have waaaay too much body roll.[3]"
3/ I have not driven my car without swaybars on stock springs but I am hypothesizing that given how small the standard anti-roll bars are their removal wouldn't turn the car into a rolling monster.

Because compromise.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
GSpeed (08-10-2015)