follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-08-2020, 01:43 PM   #57
Joveen

Drives: Bone stock
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doku View Post
Was there any consensus on "Group-N" mounts existing for the BRZ? I only see different parts for the WRX.
I think the group n is the sti mounts that you see on ftspeed or any other website. They have the same part number.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Joveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 02:03 PM   #58
doku

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ w/ Performance Pack
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joveen View Post
I think the group n is the sti mounts that you see on ftspeed or any other website. They have the same part number.

That's what I thought, but it says on their page specifically that it isn't. I think that's just a copy pasta from the WRX ones tho, cause it's the same site as subispeed.

Old 09-08-2020, 02:18 PM   #59
doku

I mean I guess if these mounts fit WRX and BRZ, you'd figure the Group N for WRX 2015+ fits BRZ as well?
Joveen (09-08-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 02:39 PM   #60
Joveen

Quote:
I mean I guess if these mounts fit WRX and BRZ, you'd figure the Group N for WRX 2015+ fits BRZ as well?
Same motor external right?

Old 09-08-2020, 02:41 PM   #61
Joveen

https://www.rallispec.com/mou_drv_rstbrz40.html

Old 09-08-2020, 02:47 PM   #62
Joveen

Quote:
They are the same. Fastwrx.com sales the group n mounts and it fits both wrx and brz. https://www.fastwrx.com/products/sti...5-wrx-2013-brz

Old 09-08-2020, 07:15 PM   #63
hifiguy99

Drives: 19' Toyota 86 TRD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbus View Post
Hey brotha, have you looked into it yet? I have Ace a350 headers in a box waiting to be installed and looking for engine mounts to go with them. Would you recommend perrin or STI mounts?
Yeah I did take a look underneath the car and it looks like I didn't hammer out the driver side of the undertray. I will post an update when I do that to confirm. Too lazy to do that rn

I was actually in the same boat as you and decided the perrin mounts are better buy. Better construction IMO, the STI mounts feel like stock from what I heard so its not much of an upgrade if you do go that way. Perrin is also cheaper

It does vibrate a little at idle, but not annoyingly, and my girlfriend hasn't made a fuss of it yet. It really does help with shifting especially in lower gears as I don't have as much movement of the transmission/engine moving from side to side when shifting/using the throttle, although it definitely has more "jerk" to her.

EDIT: Yes it was the header rubbing with the plate

Last edited by hifiguy99; 09-28-2020 at 10:04 AM.
hifiguy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:23 PM   #64
hifiguy99

Drives: 19' Toyota 86 TRD
Quote:
They are the same. Fastwrx.com sales the group n mounts and it fits both wrx and brz. https://www.fastwrx.com/products/sti...5-wrx-2013-brz

Those are the same mounts as the sti mounts.

I don't think Group N engine mounts exist for our car or the 2015+ wrx
hifiguy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:42 PM   #65
doku

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiguy99 View Post
Those are the same mounts as the sti mounts.

I don't think Group N engine mounts exist for our car or the 2015+ wrx

I have no idea personally, but it makes sense to me that if those mounts fit a 2015+ STI, then the 2015+ STI group N should fit the BRZ?

I'm looking at this:
https://www.ftspeed.com/part/fr-s-br...toyota-86-2017

Versus this:

https://www.subispeed.com/part/15-st...ounts-2015-sti

Not trying to say anyone is wrong, I'm planning on getting the regular STI ones and I'm not particularly bothered about them being N or whatever.
Joveen (09-08-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 09:08 PM   #66
Joveen

Quote:
I have no idea personally, but it makes sense to me that if those mounts fit a 2015+ STI, then the 2015+ STI group N should fit the BRZ?

I'm looking at this:
https://www.ftspeed.com/part/fr-s-br...toyota-86-2017

Versus this:

https://www.subispeed.com/part/15-st...ounts-2015-sti

Not trying to say anyone is wrong, I'm planning on getting the regular STI ones and I'm not particularly bothered about them being N or whatever.
The one from subie speed is for the sti only. The ej is different from the fa20. So if group n mounts are made for the wrx which is did post it woulf work for the brz as well. The ones I post are group n because I checked the Japan website and its the same part number.

Old 09-09-2020, 11:28 AM   #67
doku

Quote:
The one from subie speed is for the sti only. The ej is different from the fa20. So if group n mounts are made for the wrx which is did post it woulf work for the brz as well. The ones I post are group n because I checked the Japan website and its the same part number.

Oh right, I forgot the STI was still using the old engine and the WRX was using the new one. I actually talked to the dealer about this cause he was saying some people were buying up the current model before they change the engine and some were waiting for more displacement.
Old 10-03-2020, 01:23 AM   #68
Top Gun

Drives: 2013 FRS, 2015 FRS Turbo
I just installed the new and updated Perrin motor mounts I bought from them directly. My car is FI with 8k miles and the stock motor mounts were shot. I did not remove the header as it would include removing the turbo too. Loosen the steering rack bolts and you can squeeze in a ratchet to get the driver/passenger side engine mount bolt.

It was pretty easy. Lift up car, remove the under body covers. Unbolt subframe bolts. Jack up engine by oil pan. Turn steering wheel left. Remove steering rack bolts. Use impact wrench to remove the top and bottom bolts for the driver side. Install. Repeat other side.
When I was lowering the engine to get the stud of the mount into the subframe holes, the driver side wasn't aligned. I found out you can swivel the stud to angle it into the subframe! This is such a great feature from Perrin.

I did have trouble with removing the stock motor mounts from the driver side. I jacked the engine up some more and was able to remove it. The bolt with the spacer was a b*tch to thread in as it was a weird angle doing it blind and on jack stands.
Total install time was 2ish hours.

Test drive: slight noise, vibration, harshness (NVH) added at idle. I can feel my shifter and seat slightly vibrate at idle. You get used to it really quick. I highly recommend these. Minimal NVH added that doesn't get annoying even if you daily it (I don't).
Top Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Top Gun For This Useful Post:
StraightOuttaCanadaEh (10-03-2020)
Old 10-04-2020, 12:29 AM   #69
Plumbus
Seņor Member

Drives: '17 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
I just installed the new and updated Perrin motor mounts I bought from them directly. My car is FI with 8k miles and the stock motor mounts were shot. I did not remove the header as it would include removing the turbo too. Loosen the steering rack bolts and you can squeeze in a ratchet to get the driver/passenger side engine mount bolt.

It was pretty easy. Lift up car, remove the under body covers. Unbolt subframe bolts. Jack up engine by oil pan. Turn steering wheel left. Remove steering rack bolts. Use impact wrench to remove the top and bottom bolts for the driver side. Install. Repeat other side.
When I was lowering the engine to get the stud of the mount into the subframe holes, the driver side wasn't aligned. I found out you can swivel the stud to angle it into the subframe! This is such a great feature from Perrin.

I did have trouble with removing the stock motor mounts from the driver side. I jacked the engine up some more and was able to remove it. The bolt with the spacer was a b*tch to thread in as it was a weird angle doing it blind and on jack stands.
Total install time was 2ish hours.

Test drive: slight noise, vibration, harshness (NVH) added at idle. I can feel my shifter and seat slightly vibrate at idle. You get used to it really quick. I highly recommend these. Minimal NVH added that doesn't get annoying even if you daily it (I don't).
You making me kinda regret not getting the new Perrin ones. I was afraid the NVH would be too much since it's my daily driver. Got STI ones instead. Oh well, I can always change them in the future if I don't like the sti ones.
Plumbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 11:20 PM   #70
Top Gun

Drives: 2013 FRS, 2015 FRS Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbus View Post
You making me kinda regret not getting the new Perrin ones. I was afraid the NVH would be too much since it's my daily driver. Got STI ones instead. Oh well, I can always change them in the future if I don't like the sti ones.
How do you like the STI mounts? My buddy has them in his 500whp FRS and doesn't have a problem with the engine feeling loose. The Perrin mounts needed to break in at first. They felt a little loose at first but now they're rigid.

I went with the Perrin mounts b/c I needed them ASAP (the car would jerk on decel and when changing gears, it was horrible) and b/c I heard that the STI mounts may not be strong enough for turbo. The STI mounts that I found were all in Japan and pricey.
Top Gun is offline   Reply With Quote