follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 08-14-2020, 12:18 AM   #15
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
Just to verify, you’re saying Teflon tape on the 3 very small hex screws located on the sensor port adapter in this picture?
Yes, teflon tape on every fitting and line.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
MJones_RB (08-14-2020), omegared19 (05-13-2021)
Old 08-14-2020, 02:07 PM   #16
MJones_RB

Drives: Scion FR-S Series 10 #2462
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Yes, teflon tape on every fitting and line.
Funny that some people think teflon tape is a sealant, keeping fittings from leaking. It's really just a lubricant that allows the parts to seat properly and easier to take apart.
MJones_RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 01:30 AM   #17
TylerLieberman

Drives: '20 Hakone 86
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,572 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Got mine on. Fits nicely behind the 17+ bumper

[IMG]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50230798653_dc92***13a_b.jpg[/IMG]

The only thing I will say though... is that I found it to be 1000x easier to mount the lines going to the cooler prior to bolting it into place on the bracket. I went with the initial order of instructions, but I didn't see any real way to properly access the fitting directly behind/under the crash bar/bumper support. So I removed the cooler from the car, left the bracket, installed the lines, and then remounted the cooler to the bracket and went from there. So long as the lines are clocked correctly when tigthened, there's no issue.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
Joveen (08-31-2020), omegared19 (02-19-2021)
Old 08-31-2020, 05:42 PM   #18
Iceman

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Very nice! I wish I had this post when I fitted mine.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:41 PM   #19
MoarGeesPlease

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited SWP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
DIY: Greddy Oil Cooler Install

Nice write up. Love that color and wish I had found one before the blue one I bought.

3 notes and a question:
I need to try your method of mounting the ambient temp sensor. I put mine as far from the oil cooler as I could and it reads wicked high. Outdoor temps 80 to 120 no matter what on the dash now. Can’t use my auto temp interior climate control because of it. Maybe it needs to be in direct airflow or something.

I’ve found the EJ motors oil filters for the current gen STI bolt up nicely (M1-108a, Mobil 1 filter see photo). Not sure if it’s better sized than the one you mention above (I think it’s smaller than the Greddy) but it is much easier to find at your local store than special ordering the Greddy filter and will be around longer than any 90’s era motor part.

For shits and giggles I installed this sandwich adapter plate on TOP of my Forester XT oil cooler sandwich plate to see if it would work (see photo, it adds about 2.25 inches in height). It baaarely clears my hood and the hoses make contact with the high pressure A/C line AND I had to put aside the oil sensor port adapter for the left/front hose. It was just too tall, but I’m told there’s a way to get oil temp and pressure elsewhere so I left it out entirely. I put some electrical wire wraps around the part of the oil cooler lines that makes contact with the A/C line so it wouldn’t rub on the woven material (see photo). The tops of the lines leave the slightest of indents in my hood insulation (BRZ not FRS), so I kept it. Best of both types? Either way, currently running both oil coolers, 8 or so track days no leaks no issues.

...Have yet to figure out how to properly drain the cooler of oil during an oil change. Just using the normal drain plug, and replacing the same amount of oil as before despite the extra capacity afforded by the cooler. I don’t want to try having the car on but engine not running (I assume this means the oil pump is running) for fear of running the oil pump dry/losing prime. Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 BRZ -
03.5 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
97 Acura Integra LS - R.I.P.

Last edited by MoarGeesPlease; 09-15-2020 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Corrected oil filter note and added photos
MoarGeesPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoarGeesPlease For This Useful Post:
omegared19 (09-21-2021), Thefalls (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 11:44 AM   #20
TwinFTW

Drives: 17 BRZ w/PP & 08 STI
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
This guide is great @JBezgus! Much easier than attempting to Google translate the JDM instructions.

Just finished my install and wanted to add my notes to the hive mind here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBezugs View Post
The same can be done on the right side of the cooler, however instead of the U-bracket in the middle, there is an S-shaped bracket that needs to be mounted on the top of the cooler.
-----

The “S” bracket bolt order needed to be different than the "U" bracket bolt order in order to match your S bracket picture and the Greddy JDM picture, I went with:

Bolt
Bracket
Duct
Washer
Cooler
Lock washer
Nut

--------

Other Install notes:

I made a trip to home depot for *high temp* electrical tape to re-wrap the wires after splitting off the ambient temp probe from the stock loom. I used 3M Super 88 electrical tape, because I know it works... I’ve had cheap electrical tape turn to goo in high temp applications in the past. Definitely worth the extra dollar or two.

I ended up not thinking I needed the washer neck relocation bracket, after I clocked the hose to filter connections.

There was enough extra loom for the oil hose that I was able to trim some off of the main runs and add it to a section of the hose in the engine bay which looked like it could potentially rub on the metal fitting of the AC hardline. I was still able to cover the runs in front of the radiator past the duct with the loom as well. I'll see about uploading a picture of this.

The double zip tie spacing technique worked out great.

I went with 2-3 wraps of teflon tape on all fittings. No leaks or weeping at all after doing several laps of my test loop run.

It takes roughly twice as long to come up to temp (in September California ~65 degree F ambient weather) and held rock solid at a hair over the 190 F line on the stock dash gauge.

I added a little more than 1L of new oil along with a FRAM XG4386 filter and the dipstick was indicating just a tiny bit lower after my test run. I’d estimate 1.2L of additional oil to get to the same spot on the dipstick. (as measured 5 minutes after shutdown both times)

I had one question come up during the install and CSG was very quick to respond to it. Great service, fast shipping, I'm a happy customer.

Last edited by TwinFTW; 09-17-2020 at 11:49 AM. Reason: correcting the spacing of the list order
TwinFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TwinFTW For This Useful Post:
omegared19 (02-19-2021), Wally86 (10-14-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 02:04 PM   #21
omegared19

Drives: White 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Garage
Possible ignorant question regarding oil sensors:

So I already have the non-oil cooler Greddy sandwich plate as I'm running an oil temp and oil pressure sensor there. Am I correct that the oil cooler sandwich plate will replace it and I can fit the sensors into where the lower gold colored bolts are? There's a sensor adaptor for the left side hose. Will I be using that instead? Is there a better place to install either sensor?
omegared19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 02:38 PM   #22
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Drives: Green '17 BRZ Sport-Tech MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegared19 View Post
Possible ignorant question regarding oil sensors:

So I already have the non-oil cooler Greddy sandwich plate as I'm running an oil temp and oil pressure sensor there. Am I correct that the oil cooler sandwich plate will replace it and I can fit the sensors into where the lower gold colored bolts are? There's a sensor adaptor for the left side hose. Will I be using that instead? Is there a better place to install either sensor?

I believe you could do either or; either use the sensor adapter that’s comes with the oil cooler on the left side hose, or, use the lower bungs to put your current oil temp and pressure sensors M18 bolts in since they use the same 1/8PT fittings for the sensors.

Which way would be preferential? I’d think using the oil-cooler sensor adapter, so you’re getting your pressure and temperature information on the same side, post-cooler core, rather than getting one reading pre-core and one post-core. However I’ll defer to those more knowledgeable than me to confirm, as I only use the built in oil temp gauge and OEM sensor on my 17, and don’t have any external pressure sensor at the moment.
Old 02-19-2021, 04:40 PM   #23
omegared19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBezugs View Post
I believe you could do either or; either use the sensor adapter that’s comes with the oil cooler on the left side hose, or, use the lower bungs to put your current oil temp and pressure sensors M18 bolts in since they use the same 1/8PT fittings for the sensors.

Which way would be preferential? I’d think using the oil-cooler sensor adapter, so you’re getting your pressure and temperature information on the same side, post-cooler core, rather than getting one reading pre-core and one post-core. However I’ll defer to those more knowledgeable than me to confirm, as I only use the built in oil temp gauge and OEM sensor on my 17, and don’t have any external pressure sensor at the moment.

Thinking out loud, but maybe using one in the adapter, and one below the AN fitting in an effort to maintain as much consistency as possible.

Though I have also heard of (and admittedly need to do more research into) putting the oil pressure sensor into the top of the block.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:33 PM   #24
SuperSub7

Drives: Awesome
super informative and super helpful op - saved for future reference and sharing!
SuperSub7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 06:38 AM   #25
hachi roku [86]

Drives: Toyota GT86, Mazda MX-5 NB
Do you guys know what this part is and where it needs to be relocated? Seems to be missing from both Greddy’s original instructions and the write up above
Attached Images

hachi roku [86] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 10:56 AM   #26
omegared19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hachi roku [86] View Post
Do you guys know what this part is and where it needs to be relocated? Seems to be missing from both Greddy’s original instructions and the write up above
I noticed it missing on my US spec vehicle as well. Could this be the Euro Spec ambient temp sensor? Also, will the bracket still fit there or is this piece in the way?
Old 10-15-2021, 03:24 AM   #27
hachi roku [86]

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegared19 View Post
I noticed it missing on my US spec vehicle as well. Could this be the Euro Spec ambient temp sensor? Also, will the bracket still fit there or is this piece in the way?
I got info from a FB group: so it is a DRL (day running light) resistor that can be relocated pretty much anywhere where the wire can reach.

Mine is a USDM FRS from 2014, base spec (I imported it from the US)
The Following User Says Thank You to hachi roku [86] For This Useful Post:
omegared19 (01-23-2022)
Old 10-15-2021, 12:57 PM   #28
hachi roku [86]

Here’s my own solution:
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hachi roku [86] For This Useful Post:
JBezugs (10-28-2021), omegared19 (10-19-2021)

Tags
cooling, diy, greddy