follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 06-13-2022, 08:07 AM   #1
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,132 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Costco Suds-N-Spray Foaming Wash System, 3-piece Set (REVIEW)

I found this kit during my latest visit to Costco. Relatively cheap. Considering the amount of pieces it comes with. Almost feels like something I should've found at TJ Max. Probably going to test it out today. I'm mostly interested about the consistency of the foaming gun and quality of product. I think my water pressure is around 10psi, so it will be interesting to see how a garden hose foamer performs against a pressure washer one.

Price: $24.99
Includes (Left to Right): Microfiber Wash-Glove with Adjustable Strap - Suds-N-Spray Foaming Wash System - Plunge and Scrub Wheel Brush

DarkPira7e (06-13-2022)
Old 06-13-2022, 09:25 AM   #2
Desertnate
Spelling Impaired

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited WR Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
What type of soap will you be using with it?

I've debated buying the Griots version of this tool because it has a built it nozzle you can use by simply detaching the bottle and not detaching the entire unit from the hose.

For the price of what you've shown here it might be a lower cost/risk entry to the world of foaming washes than the Griots tool.
Desertnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 09:44 AM   #3
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,094 Times in 2,044 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
I want to see it in action so I can spray all the caterpillars off my siding with it
Old 06-13-2022, 10:04 AM   #4
spcmafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
What type of soap will you be using with it?

I've debated buying the Griots version of this tool because it has a built it nozzle you can use by simply detaching the bottle and not detaching the entire unit from the hose.

For the price of what you've shown here it might be a lower cost/risk entry to the world of foaming washes than the Griots tool.

I'll be using two types. A wash/wax soap from Turtle Wax (Also Costco) and the Meguiars Gold Wash.

If it sucks with car applications, it can come very handy for other projects like washing of the house/roof, deck.
gcmak (06-17-2022)
Old 06-13-2022, 10:05 AM   #5
spcmafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
I want to see it in action so I can spray all the caterpillars off my siding with it

I'll post a video on my reddit channel as well with a review here. Hoping the weather holds out today.
DarkPira7e (06-13-2022)
Old 06-13-2022, 06:16 PM   #6
spcmafia

Costco Suds-N-Spray Foaming Wash System, 3-piece Set (REVIEW)

Okay. Review time.
Maya felt she needed to inspect the work.

First impressions is that is sort of cheap made. But my mind changed really quick.
Didn’t realize the foam gun detaches from the spray nozzle which makes life easier if you’re not looking to walk back to your manifold, shut it off, place a nozzle.
The foaming gun attaches, and locks to prevent a disconnect. 5 points to Gryffindor.

Washing the car. https://www.reddit.com/r/ft86/commen...tm_name=iossmf

The video shows foam with Meguiars Gold Wash. wasn’t great, but not terrible. I did the passenger aide with Meguiars, the driver side with Turtle Wax Wash and Wax, also from Costco. Foaming was about the same, maybe just little more with Turtle Wax

You might notice that the foam just runs and doesn’t really stick, that’s because the car is protected with sealant, graphene wax, and graphene spray.

A full bottle goes out really quick. But for such a small car like the BRZ, it is good enough.

I wouldn’t recommend this for a deep clean where you wait for the foam to help dislodge dirt particles, and do the wheels in the meantime. Or during a winter day or hot summer day. Especially if you have paint protection to the level that I do. This product would be best for a quick foam, 2 buckets and a sponge. Where the sponge would do the heavy lifting.

The wearable sponge is great, the microfiber sponge attracts a good amount of dirt and foams a lot. Does get a little uncomfortable with the strap but it also helps with grip and even surface contact.

For house projects, it could be a pain depending on your water pressure. The foam goes pretty quick so you’d have to do sections at a time. Which is kind of annoying. Maybe a small deck would be better suited. Or mixing your favorite fertilizer to spray your plants. Or mixing your dog shampoo to wash your pet outside.

Final thoughts.

For a quick wash, this is good. Not great. But for the value, it doesn’t get any better. Super convenient with a foam gun that detaches from the nozzle.
For a small car, this is more than enough. Larger vehicles might need 2 bottles. House projects might be a nuisance having to refill multiple bottles with soap/water mix. Decks and driveways would be good.

Value for money 7/10
Foaming vs Pressure Washer 4/10
Foaming considering circumstances 6/10
Quality of product 7/10
Durability TBD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DarkPira7e (06-13-2022), Desertnate (06-14-2022), gcmak (06-17-2022), Wally86 (06-13-2022)
Old 06-13-2022, 07:37 PM   #7
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,094 Times in 2,044 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Very nice!! Damn so it takes half a bottle of car wash gel to soap the car??(2 jug refills)
Old 06-13-2022, 08:01 PM   #8
VoltsFRS2013

Drives: 2022' GR86 Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
Okay. Review time.
You might notice that the foam just runs and doesn’t really stick, that’s because the car is protected with sealant, graphene wax, and graphene spray.
Just a FYI, foam from a hose cannon is never going to stick Regardless of what is or isnt on the paint as a protectant. That sort of foam is referred to as wet foam, where the foam you get out of a pressure washer is dry foam.
VoltsFRS2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VoltsFRS2013 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-15-2022)
Old 06-13-2022, 08:15 PM   #9
spcmafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Very nice!! Damn so it takes half a bottle of car wash gel to soap the car??(2 jug refills)

No, sorry. I wanted to see which soap was more effective at foaming so I did one side with each car. The Turttle Wax one was slightly better.
Old 06-13-2022, 08:18 PM   #10
spcmafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltsFRS2013 View Post
Just a FYI, foam from a hose cannon is never going to stick Regardless of what is or isnt on the paint as a protectant. That sort of foam is referred to as wet foam, where the foam you get out of a pressure washer is dry foam.

You would be right. Since the water solution is more water based in that case, the waxes/protectant that are on the car it would make it even more difficult for the soap to stick. I basically had to re-spray every so often because the foam kept just falling off. Even water won’t stick to the car for too long.
VoltsFRS2013 (06-13-2022)
Old 06-13-2022, 08:21 PM   #11
VoltsFRS2013

Drives: 2022' GR86 Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
You would be right. Since the water solution is more water based in that case, the waxes/protectant that are on the car it would make it even more difficult for the soap to stick. I basically had to re-spray every so often because the foam kept just falling off. Even water won’t stick to the car for too long.
Of course haha. imo those hose based foam guns are a little bit of a scam / gimmick, however it entirely depends on your standards and how you choose to wash your own car haha

Foams intention in detailing should be your prewash, first thing that touches the paint after you've decontaminated your wheels. My gripe with them is that they're so runny like you mentioned that because of that they dont actually cling and pull any dirt down and off the paint before you make contact. They work fine as an extra precaution in terms of lubricity when washing the car just like a pressure washer will but as a prewash they're a bit useless. I do say however any sort of foam or added lubricity or added prewash the better. Too many people just take two buckets straight to the paint and go to town.
VoltsFRS2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VoltsFRS2013 For This Useful Post:
spcmafia (06-13-2022), Wally86 (06-14-2022)
Old 06-13-2022, 08:36 PM   #12
spcmafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltsFRS2013 View Post
Of course haha. imo those hose based foam guns are a little bit of a scam / gimmick, however it entirely depends on your standards and how you choose to wash your own car haha

Foams intention in detailing should be your prewash, first thing that touches the paint after you've decontaminated your wheels. My gripe with them is that they're so runny like you mentioned that because of that they dont actually cling and pull any dirt down and off the paint before you make contact. They work fine as an extra precaution in terms of lubricity when washing the car just like a pressure washer will but as a prewash they're a bit useless. I do say however any sort of foam or added lubricity or added prewash the better. Too many people just take two buckets straight to the paint and go to town.

I usually do a full routine with the pressure washer, it just takes too long and the days are getting more humid and hotter. Because when I use the pressure washer and foam cannon I go all out. But the setting up, and then picking everything up gets pretty tiring after I sweat more than a race horse.
This was a nice purchase for whenever I just want to get done in 10 minutes lol. Maybe in between the week for before I do my weekend wash and wax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VoltsFRS2013 (06-13-2022), Wally86 (06-14-2022)
Old 06-14-2022, 12:54 PM   #13
Desertnate
Spelling Impaired

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited WR Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I wonder if you'd get better foam results from a different soap?

My favorites right now are Meguiars Hyperwasy or Optimum Car Wash. Both foam and lubricate quite a bit better than what I remember of Meg's Gold Class and the concentration levels are much higher too.

For such a low price this might be work trying out. However with my car being ceramic coated it sheds water like crazy and the foam might not sit long enough to do any good.
Desertnate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Desertnate For This Useful Post:
spcmafia (06-14-2022)
Old 06-14-2022, 01:02 PM   #14
spcmafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
I wonder if you'd get better foam results from a different soap?

My favorites right now are Meguiars Hyperwasy or Optimum Car Wash. Both foam and lubricate quite a bit better than what I remember of Meg's Gold Class and the concentration levels are much higher too.

For such a low price this might be work trying out. However with my car being ceramic coated it sheds water like crazy and the foam might not sit long enough to do any good.

From the two that I tried, Turttle Wax worked the best in terms of foaming. Is just that my car, not the extend of yours, has a type of coating which made all the water or soap water just slide right off.

This product probably would be best with a rinse-foam-rinse-sponge-rinse type of wash. Or if you're in a hurry and need to wash the car in about 10 minutes.
Desertnate (06-14-2022)