follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 05-09-2013, 10:49 PM   #1
CamryDS

Drives: 2003 Camry Blue | 2013 FR-S White
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Just got my FR-S back with SiS's Build for me -- Picture Heavy --

Hi guys,
I just got my FRS back, built on a budget mind you. These guys took my build (as simple as it was) to the next level.

Here's the equipment list:
Pioneer AVH-X4500BT
Illusion Audio Luccent L6CX point source
Audiomobile Elite 2008 8" sub
Arc Audio XDi 805 5 channel amp (bounded to only 3 channels)

I have to say, these guys are amazing at what they do. The passion and pride they take in everything that they touch is amazing. These are not ordinary installers. They do things as though you're an enterprise customer. Talk to you, walk you through the build process, let you see their work. These are audio solution experts. Not your run-of-the-mill DIY people. If you're all looking for an audio solution, which if you want to install a new headunit, go to them first -- consult with them and let them tell you what they think before you start.

I was on the verge of never having my car touched by another installer, but after this job -- my camry will be up next for some work done by Bing and Joey. Great people to be in contact with and always there to have a good conversation with. You can't ask for anything more when it comes to their quality.

Here's my build Journal (Presented by Bing Xu - Simplicity in Sound):
This is the fourth FR-S build we have done and the first one that did not involve a DSP and active power. In other words, this is for us relatively speaking, a pretty basic install. But like the Subaru project a few weeks ago, we wanted to make sure to demonstrate to our customer base that even a simple 2 day build, when done correctly, can make a big difference in sound.

The customer was one that previously had some not so great experiences at the hands of car audio shops and I was grateful that he gave us a chance to buck the trend

The goals:

1. Improve the sound quality from OEM by a noticeable level

2. Keep everything hidden in the interior and keep as much room free as possible in the trunk while maintaining the spare tire.

3. Do all of the above on a tight budget

So let’s gets started.

The install starts with the power connection at the front battery. And Joey fabricated a custom mounting tab out of steel that secures the fuse holder next to the battery. all wiring is loomed and heatshrinked. The tab is bolted secured to the car using OEM holes:

here is how this tab was fabricated on our stronghand welding table, the two pieces were precisely clamped down and then welded together:

then the weld was groun down and a nut welded on the other side. this then was painted black and installed in the car:

Moving onto the headunit, a pioneer 4500BTS double din dvd unit was installed, using the beatsonic tabs and harness:

I installed his BT microphone right infront of his gauge cluster:

here is a quick shot of the harness behind the radio, everything is organized and neatly bundled:

here is a shot that suppose to show the customer mini USB thumb drive plugged into the oem slot, playing through the pioneer headunit, but i guess it just shows the door wedged open lol

using a servo extension cable and a usb cable with an end taken apart, i was able to adapt the oem usb/mini jack plug into the pioneer:

Having done a few FR-S builds, i feel that when doing a passive install with very limited tuning, i would prefer NOT to use the top of the dash tweeter location firing into the windshield as that can have unwanted reflections resulting in peaks and valleys. Instead, i would prefer to do a high quality point source driver in the lower door only...especially in a short and small interior like the FR-S.

The speaker i chose for this job is an illusion audio Luccen L6CX pointsource, at $700 retail, it is definitely not your average coaxial it is basically the same speaker as the luccent L6 but in a true pointsource config.

first, new speaker wires were run into the door:

next the outter door skin received some treatment in the form of Focal blackhole Tile:

we then installed five rivet nuts to anchor components. two small ones that will allow the illusion audio passive xovers to bolt into, and three bigger ones to anchor the adapter baffle for the speaker itself:

next, the wires are organized and lead to the area, a single thicker cable comes from the car, into the door and then two smaller wires go from the xover area back to the speaker, all following oem routes and ziptied every 4 inches or less:

the entire door was then sound proofed, and the illusion audio passiver xover was bolted in place and wired up:

next using a jig we had before, we fabticated a pair of spacer baffles and coated them thoroughly with truck bedliner to protect them against the elements:

these were then bolted to the door using the rivet nuts we installed earlier:

and the illusion audio L6CX was then secured in place:

the same procedure was then repeated on the passenger side:

next comes a series of pics to show the wiring bundle as it travels from the front to the back of the car. on the left with the rcas and speaker wires, while the 4 ga main power cable went down the passenger side with the other speaker cable. everything is ziptied to the oem harness every few inches or less:

Knowing that the rear deck of the FR-S is prone to rattles, we took that off and i smothered the backside of the cover with thick open celled foam to help with that issue:

moving to the trunk. as mentioned, the idea was for a very simple and basic set up to take up as little room as possible and be out of sight. so here is the normal view as you look into the trunk

closer inspection reveals a fiberglass enclosure on the passenger side with a grille for a single 8" sub:

and if you bend down half way you slowly get to see the bottom edge of a single amplifier:

lets take a closer look at the sub enclosure with and without the grille. an audiomobile elite 2208 sub sits in roughly .5 cub ft of air space. simple and straightforward compared to the more decorative design of the previous FR-S build:

here are some build pics joey took of the sub enclosure. first here is the layup in the mold we had from the previous build:

we then popped it out of the mold:

then a bottom and front was glassed in place, but we only got this one pic hahaha:

when that was done, the entire box was covered in trunk liner, and dyed darker to match the OEM carpet. the audiomobile sub was wired up and the inside of the box filled with focal blackhole stuff:

the grille was then fabricated with mdf and grille mesh:

now let us take a closer look at the amp rack. a single arc audio xdi-805 5 channel, bridged into 3 channel mode, powers the entire system. the front illusions get 240 watts a piece, while the sub channel, running at 4ohm, sends roughly about the same amount to the sub.

the amp is bolted to a welded steel rack that is secured to the ceiling of the trunk via one OEM bolt and one large rivet nut, all the wires are neatly run and organized, with a secure grounding spot a few inches away:

and finally, i leave you with a few pictures of joey's handiwork making the amp rack, from raw metal to primer to uh...well painted black if he remembered to snap a picture of it

So thats it...for such a simple system, it sounds pretty good. the tonality overall is pretty pleasant and is a major difference compared to the anemic sounds of the oem system. and we hope that the customer's impressions of car audio shops will be changed after this experience.

cheers,

Bing
CamryDS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CamryDS For This Useful Post:
6-Shift (05-09-2013), B L U E S L A T E (05-15-2013), Clipdat (05-15-2013), jlu (05-10-2013), kludger (05-10-2013), MyRx (05-12-2013), omegared19 (05-12-2013), slaxx (05-11-2013), Spartan65 (05-17-2013)
Old 05-10-2013, 12:00 AM   #2
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Cool install man! I'm not an audiophile my self, but I appreciate all the work, fine details and good craftsmanship that goes into a build like this. Thanks for sharing!
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:04 AM   #3
simplicityinsound

Drives: 2010 Subaru LGT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
I'm not an audiophile my self...
i hear this statement more times than i can count, infact, i believe CamryDS made the exact same statement when we were discussing his car.

and my response always is "it doesnt take an audiophile to really appreciate the results of a well installed system...it makes driving...heck, it makes sitting in traffic more enjoyable"

and we set out to prove that with this simple build
simplicityinsound is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to simplicityinsound For This Useful Post:
CamryDS (05-10-2013), jlu (05-10-2013)
Old 05-10-2013, 12:41 AM   #4
asia_minor
Superleggera

Drives: 2016 Mazda MX-5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
g damn that is some good craftsmanship. definitely will keep SiS in mind if I ever decide to upgrade the sound in my car.
asia_minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:23 AM   #5
jlu

Drives: Asphalt AT FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplicityinsound View Post
i hear this statement more times than i can count, infact, i believe CamryDS made the exact same statement when we were discussing his car.

and my response always is "it doesnt take an audiophile to really appreciate the results of a well installed system...it makes driving...heck, it makes sitting in traffic more enjoyable"

I was the of the same opinion, "I'm not an audiophile."

Then I heard a demo of your work...

Take my money!
jlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:37 AM   #6
phatpanda

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Garage
Bing and Joey are both awesome ppl to work with. Looks great!
phatpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #7
RehabJeff86

Drives: 2013 WhiteOut FR-S
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Very nice!!

2013 Scion FR-S whiteout
2012 Porsche Panamera S carbon grey
2008 Range Rover Sport SS black - sold
2004 BMW M3 alpine wies - sold
RehabJeff86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:30 PM   #8
jjdrivesajazz

Drives:
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
wow you guys put a lot of work into your builds and the quality really shows through the cleaniness
jjdrivesajazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #9
brianlo622

Drives: 2013 FR-S, raven
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
arent you glad you talked to Bing before investing in the OEM Audio + system install looks great, congrats!
Stance Coilovers & LCA | TE37SL18x9.5PressedGraphite
brianlo622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #10
brianlo622

edit: when do I get to hear your system? haha
Old 05-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #11
CamryDS

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
Cool install man! I'm not an audiophile my self, but I appreciate all the work, fine details and good craftsmanship that goes into a build like this. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks!! The install just blew me away, even up to today I'm still tweaking around with the audio settings, but it's like i'm a kid in a candy store when I do it!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplicityinsound View Post

After my experience with you -- I definitely agree! Thanks Bing and Joey for all the awesome work you guys do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asia_minor View Post
g damn that is some good craftsmanship. definitely will keep SiS in mind if I ever decide to upgrade the sound in my car.
Go soon, they have appointments waiting now till august!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RehabJeff86 View Post
Very nice!!
Thank you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlo622 View Post
arent you glad you talked to Bing before investing in the OEM Audio + system install looks great, congrats!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlo622 View Post
edit: when do I get to hear your system? haha
Hah, yes I have to agree that this was one of thee best investments i've ever made. I'll have a lot more time available after I move out of my current apartment (lease is up). Let me know if you want to meet up. I heard that the tweaters that you put into your car were awesome to listen to and it sounds like a live stage on your dashboard =)
Old 05-12-2013, 11:13 PM   #12
brianlo622

hehe the illusion audio carbon component with the tweeters is definitely an awesome piece, but I think running them active with the Mosconi DSP really made the biggest difference I'm in the Union City/Fremont area.. sometimes I go to Dublin to meet up with some of the folks out there (bigger active FRS/BRZ meets) but yea when you have more time lets meet up at tea station or tapioca express or something.
The Following User Says Thank You to brianlo622 For This Useful Post:
CamryDS (05-13-2013)
Old 05-13-2013, 12:41 AM   #13
dun3

Drives: 2013 Ultra Marine Blue FR-S
want!!
dun3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:59 PM   #14
CamryDS

Garage
with this job -- the only thing I reget is not asking to put in more speakers T_T