follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-11-2020, 11:06 PM   #15
HaXx

Drives: jrsc_brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
RIP friend frs. im glad you walked away unharmed. i couldnt help but notice your join date, 2012.
Old 10-12-2020, 12:09 AM   #16
hgamit

Drives: "First 86" Scion FR-S -#7 of 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
My late FR-S was a special addition numbered #7 of 86 from the First 86 and delivered May 2012 - one month prior to the general public.
hgamit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hgamit For This Useful Post:
scotto79 (10-12-2020), Spuds (10-12-2020), Tcoat (10-13-2020), Ultramaroon (10-14-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 09:35 AM   #17
Bobharp

Drives: 86 Hakone
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgamit View Post
My late FR-S was a special addition numbered #7 of 86 from the First 86 and delivered May 2012 - one month prior to the general public.
So sorry for your loss. Glad you are safe.
Just back from a road trip.

Excessive speed and reckless driving is abundant these days.
Bobharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 04:02 PM   #18
FRSapex

Drives: JDM 240Z, FR-S, GTI, Miata ND Club
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
As a firefighter in southern california, I've responded to countless MVAs.
Your account of this accident and the accompanying photos tells me you are indeed VERY fortunate.
FRSapex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FRSapex For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-13-2020), gravitylover (10-16-2020), JesseG (10-13-2020), Tcoat (10-13-2020), Ultramaroon (10-14-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 07:07 PM   #19
JesseG

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
OP I’m so glad you walked away from that, holy f**k that was a crazy accident!!!!
Did you see the Mercedes flipping towards you, or was it a complete blindside?!!

Big props to Subaru and Toyota for building a very strong little car. Despite the creaks and rattles I know it’s a very strong chassis. Reminds me of some Audi TT’s that the occupants survived a crash that should have been fatal.

Hopefully you can take something from your car like DadHawk said, and I hope you can get a new BRZ or 86 soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JesseG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:53 PM   #20
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,240 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Super bummer about your car.

Super awesome you walked away.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:55 PM   #21
fminicooper

Drives: FRS Hot Lava
Glad you are ok.
I remember some people said that the roof structure is very very good. Seems the were right. A pillar did not collapsed.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
fminicooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:48 AM   #22
JesseG

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by fminicooper View Post
Glad you are ok.
I remember some people said that the roof structure is very very good. Seems the were right. A pillar did not collapsed.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Subaru is known to have some of the strongest pillars and roof structure of any vehicle. From what I’ve read it’s even difficult for firemen to cut through with the jaws of life and saws. But you have a much better chance of surviving a rollover, or another car flipping into yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JesseG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:14 PM   #23
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,146 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Not calling OP a liar, but do the pictures in the first post not really make sense for the narrative? It sounds like OPs car was stopped at the stop line, but it is still at the line with the car behind right on it's bumper. I would expect OPs car to be pushed back a bit with the damage to the car, but I don't see any skid marks in front of the line, and that would imply the OP was well into the crosswalk? And that truck looks like it was hit from behind, but it's stopped right against the righthand side of the white vehicle. If the other car was in the opposite lane, I would expect all the momentum to carry from the left to the right from the white vehicle's perspective right?

I suppose if traffic in the rightmost lanes were moving the truck could have hit the oncoming Merc head on and been rear ended by someone behind? Idk, it's just confusing...

Also, glad to hear OP is ok, sad about the car. Good to know the roof structure is solid.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:44 AM   #24
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Not calling OP a liar, but do the pictures in the first post not really make sense for the narrative? It sounds like OPs car was stopped at the stop line, but it is still at the line with the car behind right on it's bumper. I would expect OPs car to be pushed back a bit with the damage to the car, but I don't see any skid marks in front of the line, and that would imply the OP was well into the crosswalk? And that truck looks like it was hit from behind, but it's stopped right against the righthand side of the white vehicle. If the other car was in the opposite lane, I would expect all the momentum to carry from the left to the right from the white vehicle's perspective right?

I suppose if traffic in the rightmost lanes were moving the truck could have hit the oncoming Merc head on and been rear ended by someone behind? Idk, it's just confusing...

Also, glad to hear OP is ok, sad about the car. Good to know the roof structure is solid.
I have spent 30 years investigating accidents (including a year doing traffic ones) and determined about 29 years ago that ideas formed during the first glance are almost never correct.
Look closer at the damage to his car especially to the hood and the nice tire mark on the fender. It fits perfectly with his description. The main impact came from above first then proceeds to cross the car horizontally. This would have directed the bulk of the initial force down and only moved the car back a few inches instead of several feet. It then mostly missed the car behind him and struck the pickup which was likely over a little further in the lane. The impact spun the truck sideways and everything ended up on the opposite side of where you would expect it. There is no damage (we can see) to the rear of the truck so it was clearly hit from the front and spun around. That is my take away from the limited two dimensional images we have to work with. I bet some pictures from the rear would show that situation clearly.
If the car had been just a few inches lower and hit him square on the front then the outcome would have been very different and he may not be here telling us the story.
alphasaur (10-15-2020), Dadhawk (10-15-2020), FRSapex (10-19-2020), gravitylover (10-16-2020), hgamit (10-15-2020), MJones_RB (10-15-2020), NoHaveMSG (10-15-2020), soundman98 (10-15-2020), Spuds (10-15-2020)
Old 10-15-2020, 03:33 PM   #25
MJones_RB

Drives: Scion FR-S Series 10 #2462
Garage
Sue him for gross endangerment and get a new Supra.
MJones_RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:55 PM   #26
Spuds
The Dictater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I have spent 30 years investigating accidents (including a year doing traffic ones) and determined about 29 years ago that ideas formed during the first glance are almost never correct.
Look closer at the damage to his car especially to the hood and the nice tire mark on the fender. It fits perfectly with his description. The main impact came from above first then proceeds to cross the car horizontally. This would have directed the bulk of the initial force down and only moved the car back a few inches instead of several feet. It then mostly missed the car behind him and struck the pickup which was likely over a little further in the lane. The impact spun the truck sideways and everything ended up on the opposite side of where you would expect it. There is no damage (we can see) to the rear of the truck so it was clearly hit from the front and spun around. That is my take away from the limited two dimensional images we have to work with. I bet some pictures from the rear would show that situation clearly.
If the car had been just a few inches lower and hit him square on the front then the outcome would have been very different and he may not be here telling us the story.
So you are saying the Merc slid longitudinally over the FRS, or laterally from port to starboard? The skid mark on the side makes it seem more longitudinal.

The truck's rear axle is displaced, that's why it seems to have suffered rear end damage. I would have thought a front end collision on the truck would have spun it clockwise looking at it from above. If the truck were moving, I can see some strange things happening but it sounded like traffic was stopped at the time? Only thing I can think of is that the Merc pushed the truck back into another car, breaking the rear suspension and rotating the truck CCW after the Merc bounced off and went between the truck and white vehicle.

Then again, I guess the truck had to be moving to launch it's ladders forward, assuming those were on the truck?
Old 10-15-2020, 07:16 PM   #27
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
So you are saying the Merc slid longitudinally over the FRS, or laterally from port to starboard? The skid mark on the side makes it seem more longitudinal.

The truck's rear axle is displaced, that's why it seems to have suffered rear end damage. I would have thought a front end collision on the truck would have spun it clockwise looking at it from above. If the truck were moving, I can see some strange things happening but it sounded like traffic was stopped at the time? Only thing I can think of is that the Merc pushed the truck back into another car, breaking the rear suspension and rotating the truck CCW after the Merc bounced off and went between the truck and white vehicle.

Then again, I guess the truck had to be moving to launch it's ladders forward, assuming those were on the truck?
Hit hard enough from the rear to break the suspension but leave the tailgate intact? What was it pushed against to that sort of damage but not cause any rear damage to the suv or FRS.
My evaluation stands.
Dadhawk (10-15-2020)
Old 10-15-2020, 08:20 PM   #28
Spuds
The Dictater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Hit hard enough from the rear to break the suspension but leave the tailgate intact? What was it pushed against to that sort of damage but not cause any rear damage to the suv or FRS.
My evaluation stands.
Your evaluation does not account for the the fact the the truck's wheelbase is at least a foot shorter than it used to be. My suggestion was that the truck's tailgate went over something such as the front of a car behind it if it were moving.

I don't know what the truck's damaged axel has to do with rear damage to the FRS or SUV?

If we assume the the sedan on the far left of the picture, right side of the road, is the Merc, one would think that it had a collision with the front of the truck which at the trajectory leading from the FRS to the truck's presumed location (if truck is stationary, in front of the trucks currently location, if truck is moving forward behind it's current location) should have brought the front of the truck with it to the left of the picture. However, the truck clearly rotated the other direction (no way in hell it pulled a 270 IMO, that kind of force would have launched the truck further left of frame).

Basically, my best conclusion that lines up with OPs description is that at least the truck was in a lane that was moving, the Merc went over the FRS, hit the truck head on, which that collision and the truck hitting brakes caused the (unseen) car behind the truck to wedge itself under the truck's rear bumper. That car swerved to its right (left of frame looking back up the road) pulling the truck's rear with it spinning it 90 degrees CCW.