follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-04-2020, 12:43 AM   #421
Jo0

Drives: '17 CWP Limited w/ PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Finally got around to installing today. I don't think I've bent the AC condenser line enough. Not sure how to go about it, that process makes me a little nervous. I've wedged a piece of the old radiator foam between the condenser line and the top oil pipe in the mean time.

Another thing that worries me is the possibility of the fittings on the radiator end coming undone on their own. I've tightened them down as much as I was comfortable with prior to putting everything back together, and I'm checking the fittings everytime I get out of the car. I'm guessing that I should try to go back and try to tighten the fittings down tomorrow or sometime soon to make sure they are good to go.
Jo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 11:30 AM   #422
Kestrel

Drives: 2015 Ultramarine FR-S AT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo0 View Post
Finally got around to installing today. I don't think I've bent the AC condenser line enough. Not sure how to go about it, that process makes me a little nervous. I've wedged a piece of the old radiator foam between the condenser line and the top oil pipe in the mean time.

Another thing that worries me is the possibility of the fittings on the radiator end coming undone on their own. I've tightened them down as much as I was comfortable with prior to putting everything back together, and I'm checking the fittings everytime I get out of the car. I'm guessing that I should try to go back and try to tighten the fittings down tomorrow or sometime soon to make sure they are good to go.
No no no! Google AN fittings. You wanna get them hand tight and then maybe 1/4 turn with the proper wrench. They will never leak. If you crank them they'll be ruined.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kestrel For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (10-04-2020)
Old 10-04-2020, 12:31 PM   #423
Jo0

Drives: '17 CWP Limited w/ PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
No no no! Google AN fittings. You wanna get them hand tight and then maybe 1/4 turn with the proper wrench. They will never leak. If you crank them they'll be ruined.

I'm honestly worried about them backing out and/or popping off vs leaking. The root of the concern is the drain back line on my Verus AOS has come off of the check valve into the cam cover once. I'd hate for that to happen on this product since that's going to result in oil actively being pumped out of the system until I get to a stop.

Based on your suggestion and a quick google. I did just that initially and I should be fine. Phew
Jo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 01:37 AM   #424
Thefalls

Drives: Corolla GT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Hoping to hear some reviews from your side.

Good luck with the set up.
Thefalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 12:55 PM   #425
doku

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ w/ Performance Pack
Can anyone confirm that standard radiator hose kits work with this radiator? I was going to get some silicone ones.
Old 10-09-2020, 12:56 PM   #426
Kestrel

Drives: 2015 Ultramarine FR-S AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by doku View Post
Can anyone confirm that standard radiator hose kits work with this radiator? I was going to get some silicone ones.
Yes, standard radiator hoses work perfectly.

Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 01:42 PM   #427
djezlee

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited
They work... but i suggest changing them while you are in there.
djezlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 04:29 AM   #428
TheRealBFKR

Drives: '18 WRB BRZ Limited w/ PP
Has anyone tried measuring the oil pressure with this unit and see if the drop is significant?
TheRealBFKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 10:33 AM   #429
blsfrs

Drives: 2013 frs base
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
My oil pressure and temp sensors are on the filter adapter. My Intellectronix pressure gauge reads up to 99psi. Except at idle, it always read 99. My Element Tuning engine purportedly had mods that increase pressure and volume.
blsfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 02:17 PM   #430
Butterballz

Drives: Black FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo0 View Post

I used to worry like you but as long as you tighten the fittings right, they will not back out. It's been a while and a couple of track days and none of the fittings even moved since I marked it with a pen.

The fittings are tapered so they shouldn't be tightened as hard as you can. You should also oil the taper area so it doesn't bind while tightening. That might give you a false sense that it is tightened. I hand tight after oiling, then once it stops, I use a wrench and turn like 1/4 or so till it feels like it stopped.
Butterballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 04:31 PM   #431
TheRealBFKR

Drives: '18 WRB BRZ Limited w/ PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by blsfrs View Post
My oil pressure and temp sensors are on the filter adapter. My Intellectronix pressure gauge reads up to 99psi. Except at idle, it always read 99. My Element Tuning engine purportedly had mods that increase pressure and volume.
Thanks! So you are saying with the Dual and your pressure increasing mods, you are basically always at 99+psi except for idle? What kind of pressure increasing mods are these...

What weight oil do you run?
TheRealBFKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:15 AM   #432
blsfrs

Drives: 2013 frs base
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
As per Element Tuning's instructions, I run Mobil 1 10w30. Their "mods" are proprietary. You can read what they say about them on their website, elementtuning.com. I might get more information since my engine is currently being torn down because of valve train and timing chain issues.
blsfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 04:26 PM   #433
vintagemxer

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited
Garage
For piece of mind, you can always wrap safety wire on your fitting ends, piece of cake

Last edited by vintagemxer; 05-02-2021 at 04:26 PM. Reason: wording
vintagemxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 12:35 PM   #434
ninjan00dles

Drives: 2015 FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemxer View Post
For piece of mind, you can always wrap safety wire on your fitting ends, piece of cake
Wouldn't the end fittings need safety wire provisions for that?
ninjan00dles is offline   Reply With Quote