follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 07-21-2012, 11:43 PM   #1
Sam Strano

Drives: 2013 FR-S Asphalt
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
First time tracking this thing...

I'm not one to blog and blog like some others are. Short and to the point.

To recap the car... FR-S, on KW's (setup by Strano Performance Parts), Whiteline offset mounts (or whatever tricky name you guys use I just call them that.... Hankook R-S3's on 17x8's.

Ran a "Friday at the track" on the Shenandoah Circuit at Summit Point WV. I have never run the track before, and it's said to be one of the hardest around since it's 22 turns in 2.2 miles. And it was WET the first two sessions too. I wasn't worried about learning the track because I'm one of them there autocrosser types, and a very good one. I learn courses FAST...

Anyway, the car got all kinds of attention, having never been to that track before I needed an instructor even though I was group 2, and they were lining up to go.... 3 almost immediately.

Out I go, and it's a mess. Like black ice kind of mess/slick. Evo hit a tire wall, Z3 too. Cayman was about 30 degrees crossed up in front of me. Later an F430 spun in front of me too. It goes fine, I chat while driving, all 5's (5 being top scores). I make some damper and pressure changes to help get some grip, and come next session it's better but just way too slippery to get a good read on what's what. I get a "senior" instructor needed to sign off, for this session, same thing. I'm driving, we're chatting about the car, how they are selling, etc. I'm now Solo. And then it starts to dry. Thank god.

By the 3rd and 4th sessions I'm one of the quickest cars on the track. Now it's not a power track (and I do have video and pics but who knows when I can get them up, but I'll try ASAP--I do have an autocross in 7 hours though in my Z06 so it'll have to wait), but you need some grunt. I'm hitting just shy of 95 and just shy of 100 (hit that a few times actually) on the two fastest sections in the damp in a currently bone stock car (Namesless exhaust coming).

I get caught by a Boxster instructor driven on lap 2 or 3 I think, though slowly and let him by.. then latch on and hang there until we get traffic and he gets away. Meanwhile I'm being followed by another silver Porsche. He never gets any closer and we run the entire session that way. Afterward, he comes over . It's another instructor in a Cayman... that's got 50 more hp than I do and he can't do anything with me. He, and everyone else is quite impressed with the car (and I think my driving didn't hurt).

The car is a blast. I'm EXTREMELY happy with the setup I've got on it. I am quite confident in recommending what I've done for both track and autocross use (unlike some I feel they should not be radically different), grip is grip, balance is balance.

Hard to tell, but hand timing seems to show 1:51 in the damp in a car without a lot of power, and the first time on the track. Also, I never, ever, pushed the entry to the Karrusell (sp? I'm not German). There is another good second or more right there. No sense in wrecking my crap. :0

Last edited by Sam Strano; 07-22-2012 at 12:36 AM.
Sam Strano is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Sam Strano For This Useful Post:
feldy (07-22-2012), Guff (07-23-2012), hankster (07-23-2012), kwood9000 (07-22-2012), mechaghost (07-23-2012), No Limit Motorsport (08-14-2012), Scooby South (07-24-2012), Spaceywilly (07-21-2012), TouchMyHonda (07-26-2012), track_warrior (07-23-2012), Wepeel (07-23-2012)
Old 07-22-2012, 02:42 AM   #2
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,129 Times in 1,194 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The great drivers like you will thankfully uphold the reputation of the car even with an average driver like me behind the wheel...

PS: Vids would be awesome
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:50 AM   #3
Sccabrz192
Detroit Region, MI

Drives: 13 BRZ, 13 Volt, 02 WRX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Awesome Sam! I've recently been bitten by the track bug as well and am itching to get out to an open track day either late this season or early next.

I would assume with the wet conditions you probably didn't wear your brakes or tires out much. How did everything hold up?
Sccabrz192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
Sam Strano

It was pretty dry 3rd session, and 97% dry the 4th, but it rained a lot and there was a big puddle at the track out onto the longest straight which kept me from getting the run that would have been ideal.

I didn't run stock pads, I swapped the fronts for Ferodo DS2500's and the rears I just slapped on some HPS's (though the stock pads are also FF pads I think they might have been fine, but I know the DS2500's and wanted them in front (and they do have a bit more power). Everything held up great, including the tires.

Except............. I thought since the track is so slick and I had never seen it, it was wise to run the car in Sport mode. Not a good plan. See, it was slippery enough that I was getting oversteer in 3rd gear when it was wet (just think about that given the lack of torque this thing has). My car control skills are pretty good, and I think most anyone who's seen me drive can attest. Within 2 laps the stability control failed or shut off (taking the ABS with it). I had to pit to "reboot" the car. Then I just turned it off since I was catching things myself anyway. It really don't like much slip angle at all.

I just noticed another thread where that guy thought it was very good. Well, it does work, but it can't tolerate lengthy use. I will never run it again, I just wanted to see how it worked (and how it didn't or if/when it freaked out). Mission accomplished.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:34 AM   #5
phm14
Loves the Smell of Track

Drives: '13 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Strano View Post
It was pretty dry 3rd session, and 97% dry the 4th, but it rained a lot and there was a big puddle at the track out onto the longest straight which kept me from getting the run that would have been ideal.

I didn't run stock pads, I swapped the fronts for Ferodo DS2500's and the rears I just slapped on some HPS's (though the stock pads are also FF pads I think they might have been fine, but I know the DS2500's and wanted them in front (and they do have a bit more power). Everything held up great, including the tires.

Except............. I thought since the track is so slick and I had never seen it, it was wise to run the car in Sport mode. Not a good plan. See, it was slippery enough that I was getting oversteer in 3rd gear when it was wet (just think about that given the lack of torque this thing has). My car control skills are pretty good, and I think most anyone who's seen me drive can attest. Within 2 laps the stability control failed or shut off (taking the ABS with it). I had to pit to "reboot" the car. Then I just turned it off since I was catching things myself anyway. It really don't like much slip angle at all.

I just noticed another thread where that guy thought it was very good. Well, it does work, but it can't tolerate lengthy use. I will never run it again, I just wanted to see how it worked (and how it didn't or if/when it freaked out). Mission accomplished.
The reboot was done by turning the ignition off?
phm14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:16 AM   #6
Sam Strano

Yes. Had to just shut down and restart.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sam Strano For This Useful Post:
phm14 (07-23-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 11:53 AM   #7
ABQautoxer

Drives: 2021 Supra / 2022 Tundra
Great feedback Sam. I keep leaning towards a WRX but seeing someone who's opinion I trust having a lot of fun with the FRS makes it tempting.

For those of you that don't know Sam's reputation as one of the very best autocrossers out there, you should know he's also the best with setup recommendations. I bought a C5 Z06 several years ago, called Sam for the setup (pads, shocks, front sway bar) for SCCA Super Stock class which he sold me, got it all installed, aligned, and took top PAX the first event and many for the years I had the car it was at the top regionally (at that time I took a break from national events).

Tom R
ABQautoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #8
Sam Strano

http://www.stranoparts.com/videos.php

This is just a quick clip taken by a friend that was there (her husband is in the Shelby following me).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKJsL4j8qa4&feature=player_embedded"]7.21.12 - YouTube[/ame]
Old 07-23-2012, 01:19 PM   #9
Sam Strano

Hey Tom. Thank you for the nice words. I really, really appreciate them (and you taking the time to bother typing them).

BTW, some in car stuff is coming. It's big and in HD so it will take a while to upload.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:29 PM   #10
ABQautoxer

No problem Sam, it's well earned compliments in my book. I know if I do go the FRS route, I'll be giving you call about a front sway bar for CS.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:04 PM   #11
Sam Strano

It's in the works.....
Old 07-23-2012, 02:24 PM   #12
Kido1986
Dodging cones

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited, 93 Z28
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I will be on that bar as soon as it's ready as well.

I tracked the BRZ this weekend and was VERY surprised at it. AX6 front pads, better fluid, light 17x7s, 215 RS-s3s, as much camber as possible in front (on stock setup), .12 toe in each side in rear. Car was amazingly neutral and did not fail me on track. This was my first venture onto Sebring (club) as well. I did not get passed a single time.

When I get the video up tonight/tomorrow, would you mind giving me your opinion Sam?

Thanks!
Originally Posted by mrbillclintong View Post
If you guys spot any riced frs/brz post them here just for laughs no hating please.
Isn't there already a thread like this? It's called aggressive wheels or summat...
C Street Build/Progress Questions about C Street Autocrossing?
Kido1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #13
Kido1986
Dodging cones

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited, 93 Z28
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Here is this past Saturday at Sebring, on Club course

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y60TonnOZ-g"]2013 Subaru BRZ on Sebring Club at SCCA PDX - YouTube[/ame]
Originally Posted by mrbillclintong View Post
If you guys spot any riced frs/brz post them here just for laughs no hating please.
Isn't there already a thread like this? It's called aggressive wheels or summat...
C Street Build/Progress Questions about C Street Autocrossing?
Kido1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:43 AM   #14
ABQautoxer

Strange DE where they go off the line to be passed/point-by, usually that considered a bit risky but seemed to work.