follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 11-27-2020, 12:30 AM   #1
cmorris927

Drives: 15 FRS MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
N1 Too Loud - Drop Front Pipe or Go Borla

I installed the Gruppe-s UEL headers on my FRS back in the summer. I had a stock catback at that point and had been planning on upgrading to something else.

This week, I found a deal on a like new Invidia N1 catback and resonated front pipe for $300. I installed that, and while the noise from the outside of the car doesn't seem that bad, it's pretty loud to me and unbearable for my girlfriend when cruising on the highway for more than 30 minutes.

There's a brand new Borla catback for sale near me for $400, so looking for some advice - should I drop the N1 and put the stock catback on with the Invidia front pipe or get the Borla and run that with or without the Invidia front pipe? I'm thinking I can probably sell the Invidia catback and get my money back, if that's the best option.

I'm looking for something louder than stock and was initially worried that the Borla may be a little underwhelming, but anything seems better than the N1 right now - at least when it's coupled with my UELs and the front pipe. Also, coupled with the front pipe, I'm thinking the Borla may sound pretty good, but I have not heard anything in person other than the stock catback before I did my Invidia install.
cmorris927 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cmorris927 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (11-27-2020)
Old 11-27-2020, 01:13 AM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmorris927 View Post
I installed the Gruppe-s UEL headers on my FRS back in the summer. I had a stock catback at that point and had been planning on upgrading to something else.

This week, I found a deal on a like new Invidia N1 catback and resonated front pipe for $300. I installed that, and while the noise from the outside of the car doesn't seem that bad, it's pretty loud to me and unbearable for my girlfriend when cruising on the highway for more than 30 minutes.

There's a brand new Borla catback for sale near me for $400, so looking for some advice - should I drop the N1 and put the stock catback on with the Invidia front pipe or get the Borla and run that with or without the Invidia front pipe? I'm thinking I can probably sell the Invidia catback and get my money back, if that's the best option.

I'm looking for something louder than stock and was initially worried that the Borla may be a little underwhelming, but anything seems better than the N1 right now - at least when it's coupled with my UELs and the front pipe. Also, coupled with the front pipe, I'm thinking the Borla may sound pretty good, but I have not heard anything in person other than the stock catback before I did my Invidia install.
That would be your call whether or not you are willing to accept the possibility that your girlfriend would never want to have sex because she always has a headache from riding in your car.

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 01:19 AM   #3
cmorris927

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
That would be your call whether or not you are willing to accept the possibility that your girlfriend would never want to have sex because she always has a headache from riding in your car.

Hahaha, yes, something will have to change with the exhaust - just don't know what to expect with front pipe + stock catback vs borla catback. It was better in the original owner's brz, but he didn't have any headers. As those actually add noticeable performance gains vs a catback, I don't want to get rid of my headers.
The Following User Says Thank You to cmorris927 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (11-27-2020)
Old 11-27-2020, 02:01 AM   #4
HaXx

Drives: jrsc_brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
i would probably try uel header>stock front pipe>N1. that way you dont have to buy any more stuff than you already have
Old 11-27-2020, 02:17 AM   #5
cmorris927

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaXx View Post
i would probably try uel header>stock front pipe>N1. that way you dont have to buy any more stuff than you already have
I will try that out tomorrow if I have the time, but from what I read about the N1, it sounded like the resonated front pipe made it less droney.

If it has no hope - I’m not worried about getting rid of the N1. It’s pretty close to brand new and with it and the front pipe being $300 together, I think I can break even without too much difficulty. Just glad I got to try it out without buying new.