follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-15-2020, 06:30 PM   #15
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalpb View Post
That is done on purpose I believe. I may be wrong on this, but I think the intake does better drawing from a low pressure area (behind the bumper cover) than from a high pressure area (vent exposed to the front of the car).

I think even BMW switched it up from a ram air style intake to drawing from behind the bumper like our cars do.

It’s probably done because of design limitations without drastically changing the bumper brace or removing the bumper foam piece and spending more money. The oem design has no airflow access from the front, it is just taking in stagnant air adjacent to the engine bay only blocked from the engine by a thin piece of plastic and a little foam. Seems far from ideal.

I am not talking about changing to a ram system with high pressure air either. Just having access to the fresh cold air coming through the front grille and being able to have that air cool the air in the space previously occupied by bumper bar and foam. And possibly being able to “suck” air from that cold stream but not “ramming it” and not redirecting the high pressure air to come in the grille and then curve up to the filter location or bringing the intake duct end closer to the high pressure air either. Just allowing a direct link between filter and direct cold air while maintaining a low pressure zone.

My IAT dropped a good amount switching to my custom setup. Although my reasons for switching and doing this had nothing to do with this was just a pleasant bonus. Wish i had pics when bumper was off.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:51 PM   #16
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,146 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalpb View Post
Do you think with something like this you could see a bit more effect?

Not really. Better than cutting a hole through the bumper, but I wouldn't expect much better performance. Maybe you get a bit more dynamic pressure converted that isn't flowing through the radiator, but you lose some of that to bleeding off the edge and you get more turbulence in the inlet. I honestly haven't actually done a real analysis on this car, but having some experience in airflow (I'm an aeronautical engineer by education), it seems like the inlet was pretty well optimized for the current solution. This MIGHT change if you were to reduce pressure in the engine bay by way of vents and the like. Then you might benefit from a more direct intake snorkel.
Spuds is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
norcalpb (07-15-2020)
Old 07-15-2020, 06:55 PM   #17
Spuds
The Dictater

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
It’s probably done because of design limitations without drastically changing the bumper brace or removing the bumper foam piece and spending more money. The oem design has no airflow access from the front, it is just taking in stagnant air adjacent to the engine bay only blocked from the engine by a thin piece of plastic and a little foam. Seems far from ideal.

I am not talking about changing to a ram system with high pressure air either. Just having access to the fresh cold air coming through the front grille and being able to have that air cool the air in the space previously occupied by bumper bar and foam. And possibly being able to “suck” air from that cold stream but not “ramming it” and not redirecting the high pressure air to come in the grille and then curve up to the filter location or bringing the intake duct end closer to the high pressure air either. Just allowing a direct link between filter and direct cold air while maintaining a low pressure zone.

My IAT dropped a good amount switching to my custom setup. Although my reasons for switching and doing this had nothing to do with this was just a pleasant bonus. Wish i had pics when bumper was off.
One note is that (iirc) Perrin's r&d paper on their CAI said they experimented with removing the air dam between the grille and filter element and found that it created some turbulence that affected the MAF. Since accurate MAF is kind of important for making power, they left the air dam alone.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:14 PM   #18
86TOYO2k17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
One note is that (iirc) Perrin's r&d paper on their CAI said they experimented with removing the air dam between the grille and filter element and found that it created some turbulence that affected the MAF. Since accurate MAF is kind of important for making power, they left the air dam alone.
I couldn’t find any information or testing in regards to the front crash foam.

Besides not being a fan of oiled filters, I also didn’t like how the perrin filter “sat”. In Perrin’s picture it is fully exposed on all sides but on many other peoples pictures and including mine it always sat on the crash bar and was basically blocked by the bottom and “lip” sticking up so only airflow could go in from behind and up to the top basically limiting service area. Switching to beatrush crash bar and swapping on a 2.75” x 11” coned dry filter it is now truly open all around.

I also don’t see how it would create turbulent air removing the foam. Air comes in straight at / into radiator at which point it will diverge into radiator and some will go up and into the holes on the plastic piece. I don’t see what would really cause it to instantly diverge up prior to encountering any resistance or obstacle. The space directly behind the front bumper which is now wide open and has a straight line to the filter should still be a low pressure non turbulent zone just much closer or straighter path to fresh cool air.

Not saying it’ll make gains, but possibly maintain HP / less heatsoak type issues.

Disclaimer: I also have a sprintex SC may change some factors regarding all of this and the benefits etc...
Old 07-15-2020, 08:04 PM   #19
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,341 Times in 1,575 Posts
Quote:

Besides not being a fan of oiled filters, I also didn’t like how the perrin filter “sat”. In Perrin’s picture it is fully exposed on all sides but on many other peoples pictures and including mine it always sat on the crash bar and was basically blocked by the bottom and “lip” sticking up so only airflow could go in from behind and up to the top basically limiting service area. Switching to beatrush crash bar and swapping on a 2.75” x 11” coned dry filter it is now truly open all around.
Honestly, the Perrin could be the absolute best intake on the market and I still wouldn’t be interested just because it requires removing the whole bumper to service lol
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
Spuds (07-15-2020)
Old 07-15-2020, 08:10 PM   #20
86TOYO2k17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
Honestly, the Perrin could be the absolute best intake on the market and I still wouldn’t be interested just because it requires removing the whole bumper to service lol
That’s a downside true. At least it only takes about 30mins to remove/install once you know how.

Also a chance this new skinnier longer filter may be able to slide in with only undoing the top bolts/clips.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:18 PM   #21
TylerLieberman

Quote:
That’s a downside true. At least it only takes about 30mins to remove/install once you know how.

Also a chance this new skinnier longer filter may be able to slide in with only undoing the top bolts/clips.
Yeah the removal itself is easy. It’s more an issue with all the clips and tabs getting worn down and inevitably breaking and/or loosening after a few times.

On a slightly related note, I had a Grimmspeed intake on my 13 FRS and had no issues. The data logging showed everything checked out well with regards to the MAF scaling after install. Had a slightly louder and more pleasant induction note.

No real noticed change in power. MAYBE pulled a slight touch more in the very top end before dying off, but after a couple pulls, I couldn’t really tell a difference.

I honestly just hate looking at the OEM unit in the engine bay. Between the piping, the snorkel, and the sound tube, it’s all just a giant eyesore to me.

I wonder of the 2013-2016 intake tubes work for the 17+. The HKS Carbon one is nice. Pricey and useless, but I almost don’t even care Hahahaha
The Following User Says Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
norcalpb (07-15-2020)
Old 07-15-2020, 08:36 PM   #22
86TOYO2k17

Quote:
Yeah the removal itself is easy. It’s more an issue with all the clips and tabs getting worn down and inevitably breaking and/or loosening after a few times.

On a slightly related note, I had a Grimmspeed intake on my 13 FRS and had no issues. The data logging showed everything checked out well with regards to the MAF scaling after install. Had a slightly louder and more pleasant induction note.

No real noticed change in power. MAYBE pulled a slight touch more in the very top end before dying off, but after a couple pulls, I couldn’t really tell a difference.

I honestly just hate looking at the OEM unit in the engine bay. Between the piping, the snorkel, and the sound tube, it’s all just a giant eyesore to me.

I wonder of the 2013-2016 intake tubes work for the 17+. The HKS Carbon one is nice. Pricey and useless, but I almost don’t even care Hahahaha
7 removals
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2020, 09:38 PM   #23
TylerLieberman

Quote:
7 removals
Lucky you. The corner lights alone have proven to give tons of people issues after removing and re installing the bumper a few times.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:44 PM   #24
Spuds
The Dictater

Quote:
I couldn’t find any information or testing in regards to the front crash foam.

I also don’t see how it would create turbulent air removing the foam. Air comes in straight at / into radiator at which point it will diverge into radiator and some will go up and into the holes on the plastic piece. I don’t see what would really cause it to instantly diverge up prior to encountering any resistance or obstacle. The space directly behind the front bumper which is now wide open and has a straight line to the filter should still be a low pressure non turbulent zone just much closer or straighter path to fresh cool air.

Not saying it’ll make gains, but possibly maintain HP / less heatsoak type issues.

Disclaimer: I also have a sprintex SC may change some factors regarding all of this and the benefits etc...
Air pressure diverts the flow before those particular particles hit the radiator. Gas particles bounce off each other as well as solid or liquid surfaces. The radiator slows down the flow, essentially causing a traffic jam. The resulting bow wave causes the entire front opening of the car to increase in static pressure while losing dynamic pressure (due to loss of velocity). The plastic air dam above the radiator has vents which allow static pressure to equalize across it, but damps fluctuations in dynamic pressure (turbulence). This turbulence comes from changes in speed, random pockets of hot/cold air, etc. Basically the general noise of a pickup 12" off the ground in possibly windy conditions. Apparently that turbulence was enough to give the Perrin folks pause, considering their goals at the time.

Anyway, the rate of airflow near the intake pickup is quite low, so the directness of flow actually has very little effect. The vents in the air dam probably allow plenty of flow for the engine in any NA application. FI, you might start seeing that as a restriction.

The benefit of a Perrin-like setup is that the air spends less time inside the hot engine bay, and the filter absorbs less heat. Plus, aluminum is a pretty good insulator from heat.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:44 PM   #25
86TOYO2k17

Quote:
Lucky you. The corner lights alone have proven to give tons of people issues after removing and re installing the bumper a few times.
Finesse
Lol, after 6x it was slightly worse than the picture shows. Still not really bad or anywhere near some pics I’ve seen of other bumpers. But while doing the 7th removal i replaced the headlight bracket and side bracket and put 3 of the tab supports on each side. Got it back to near factory. And just swapped the filter, so I’m done removing bumper for a long while.
Old 12-04-2020, 07:28 AM   #26
BlueridgeBRZ

Drives: Black 2020 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
does greddy fit 2020 brz?
BlueridgeBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 06:18 AM   #27
czellers

Drives: 2K19 GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmjunkie View Post
I have the Greddy one that picks up air from the bumper opening. It keeps intake temps surprisingly low when the car is moving.
Thats the one you need to cut the foam crash bar in order to install? If so, was it an easy install?
czellers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to czellers For This Useful Post:
Jdmjunkie (12-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 01:22 PM   #28
Jdmjunkie

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by czellers View Post
Thats the one you need to cut the foam crash bar in order to install? If so, was it an easy install?
Other than taking the bumper off, it was very straight forward. I did not cut the foam I just removed it.
Jdmjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote