follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-26-2016, 03:32 AM   #1
WryGuy

Drives: 2014 FR-S Argento, 2003 Celica GT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FR-S - AT nearly stalls when stopping

Greetings,
- 2014 FR-S, stock auto transmission.
- Stock drive train.
- TRD catback (in case it matter)
- No ecu flash (not yet but probably soon)

When coming to a stop the revs dip hard sub 500 and makes me think car is about to stall out. (It doesn't. Or, at least, it hasn't yet)

Happens most when slowing "quickly" from a medium to high gear. (Normal quick in stop go traffic or a stop light, _not_ quickly in sense of panic or leaving a strip of rubber behind.)

Feels like the AT stays in 1st (or maybe second) just a bit too long before the clutch kicks to idle at a stop light (for instance). Almost as if the AT is under orders to cycle down fully through each gear from 6 to 1 before disengaging to idle at rest regardless of the fact the car is already at zero mph.

Is this just the nature of the FR-S AT?
Side effect of catback mod without Ecu flash?
(seems unrelated but maybe)
Or is something abnormal going on?
WryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 04:56 AM   #2
DaJo
FT86Club Vancouver

Drives: BRZ Sport-Tech; Drove: MR-S, AE86
Thanked 1,178 Times in 633 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
It has been a issue since the day it rolled out of FHI back in 2012...

Apparently it's a cam timing sensor... It can be fixed with a reflash and/or a tune...

Cheers!

2013 BRZ Sport-Tech 6AT
Since '12 (OEM+ STI tS Build)
2015 Lexus IS250 AWD F-Sport 2 2015-2018
2018 Lexus NX300 F-Sport 3 Since '18
DaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 05:59 AM   #3
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WryGuy View Post
Greetings,
- 2014 FR-S, stock auto transmission.
- Stock drive train.
- TRD catback (in case it matter)
- No ecu flash (not yet but probably soon)

When coming to a stop the revs dip hard sub 500 and makes me think car is about to stall out. (It doesn't. Or, at least, it hasn't yet)

Happens most when slowing "quickly" from a medium to high gear. (Normal quick in stop go traffic or a stop light, _not_ quickly in sense of panic or leaving a strip of rubber behind.)

Feels like the AT stays in 1st (or maybe second) just a bit too long before the clutch kicks to idle at a stop light (for instance). Almost as if the AT is under orders to cycle down fully through each gear from 6 to 1 before disengaging to idle at rest regardless of the fact the car is already at zero mph.

Is this just the nature of the FR-S AT?
Side effect of catback mod without Ecu flash?
(seems unrelated but maybe)
Or is something abnormal going on?

Swapping the catback does not warrant a flash of the ecu.
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 10:16 AM   #4
mazeroni

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Manual cars do this when slowing and engaging(edit) the clutch close to idle. It is worse with the AC on. The car outright dips under 500 and stutters, you hear the fans quiet, then the revs jump to 1k before slowly, very slowly falling.

In before ECU flash is pointless... unless you go E85, I guess.

Last edited by mazeroni; 05-26-2016 at 04:17 PM.
mazeroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 06:24 PM   #5
Spacemane969

Drives: 2013 ARGENTO A/T
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I want to kind of hijack this thread and discuss a sort of opposite problem that I've been wanting to ask about for a long time. While in manual mode I always had jerkiness that lunges me forward, from 2nd to 1st gear due to the transmission rev-matching. At that speed and RPM I'm not sure why the engineers decided to still include rev matching...So to get a smooth transition from 2nd to full stop I have just let the ECU do the work without switching into 1st at all. Hopefully this isn't really damaging to the engine as I figured it would calculate and shift the same way in NORMAL mode anyways. And I'm talking anywhere from 12 mph down to 7 or 8 I get this jerkiness so there seems to be no sweet spot.

Does anyone else do the same?
Spacemane969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 06:57 PM   #6
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemane969 View Post
I want to kind of hijack this thread and discuss a sort of opposite problem that I've been wanting to ask about for a long time. While in manual mode I always had jerkiness that lunges me forward, from 2nd to 1st gear due to the transmission rev-matching. At that speed and RPM I'm not sure why the engineers decided to still include rev matching...So to get a smooth transition from 2nd to full stop I have just let the ECU do the work without switching into 1st at all. Hopefully this isn't really damaging to the engine as I figured it would calculate and shift the same way in NORMAL mode anyways. And I'm talking anywhere from 12 mph down to 7 or 8 I get this jerkiness so there seems to be no sweet spot.

Does anyone else do the same?
Not damaging at all. People say to simply let the computer shift down from 2nd to first but I do it because habits developed and pretty much automatic now... (no pun intended).

Anyways, I was experiencing rev-match issues and when I got a TCM reflash from dealership, it fixed any issues I was having (jerkiness, rev-match, extreme hard shifts). Yours is a 2013 but bring it to the dealership and try to get a reflash to see.. doesn't hurt to try.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96615
The Twins make me smile
Old 05-26-2016, 08:38 PM   #7
geezerbrzeezer
Geezer

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Sport Tech
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Yes, always shift from second to first with a tap, because if you let the car do it, you will hear . . .

. . . nothing.

When you perform the tap yourself at your selected, elevated rpm range, you will hear the most beautiful noise from even the simplest exhaust upgrade.

It will put a smile on your face, brighten your mood, obviate the nuisance posed by those pesky red lights, and garner much attention from the fellow motorists and pedestrians to whom you've just announced your arrival.
geezerbrzeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geezerbrzeezer For This Useful Post:
FX86 (05-27-2016), soulreapersteve (05-26-2016)
Old 05-26-2016, 09:23 PM   #8
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreapersteve View Post
Not damaging at all. People say to simply let the computer shift down from 2nd to first but I do it because habits developed and pretty much automatic now... (no pun intended).

Anyways, I was experiencing rev-match issues and when I got a TCM reflash from dealership, it fixed any issues I was having (jerkiness, rev-match, extreme hard shifts). Yours is a 2013 but bring it to the dealership and try to get a reflash to see.. doesn't hurt to try.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96615
@WryGuy go to different dealers till they do this, it's well worth it, the shifts are dual clutch crisp now.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:40 PM   #9
Spacemane969

Drives: 2013 ARGENTO A/T
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
@WryGuy go to different dealers till they do this, it's well worth it, the shifts are dual clutch crisp now.
This is the first time I've heard of this flash..hope I can get lucky at the dealer. thanks for sharing.
Spacemane969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:51 PM   #10
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemane969 View Post
This is the first time I've heard of this flash..hope I can get lucky at the dealer. thanks for sharing.
Word of advice to up chance of them looking at your car:

Tell them you are suffering through idle hunt. Do not tell them you are experiencing hard shifts, rev match stuff, etc. They will become really confused and say "its normal". Trust us
The Twins make me smile
The Following User Says Thank You to soulreapersteve For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (05-26-2016)
Old 05-26-2016, 10:51 PM   #11
WryGuy

Drives: 2014 FR-S Argento, 2003 Celica GT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Ouch.
Goal: obtain TCM flash

"idle hunt" is magical passphrase.

Good to know!

By chance, is this something fixable thru OFT?
(edit: is this the "smoother idle" others have described being fixed by OFT flash of the Ecu? Or is the TCM flash entirely separate?)

Last edited by WryGuy; 05-26-2016 at 11:52 PM.
WryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 02:56 PM   #12
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WryGuy View Post
Ouch.
Goal: obtain TCM flash

"idle hunt" is magical passphrase.

Good to know!

By chance, is this something fixable thru OFT?
(edit: is this the "smoother idle" others have described being fixed by OFT flash of the Ecu? Or is the TCM flash entirely separate?)

OFT can smooth the idle with the latest tunes vs the OEM, however the shifting and rough idle is entirely TCM specific nothing can flash to that except techstream.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 03:04 PM   #13
FX86
Banned

Drives: on the wrongside of the road
Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geezerbrzeezer View Post
Yes, always shift from second to first with a tap, because if you let the car do it, you will hear . . .

. . . nothing.

When you perform the tap yourself at your selected, elevated rpm range, you will hear the most beautiful noise from even the simplest exhaust upgrade.

It will put a smile on your face, brighten your mood, obviate the nuisance posed by those pesky red lights, and garner much attention from the fellow motorists and pedestrians to whom you've just announced your arrival.
i love dropping it to fist....that VROOOOOOM and everybody be like
FX86 is offline   Reply With Quote